The New Raith Rovers Thread

Here's a radical idea.

Instead of signing a Baird like energetic forward who will drop deep, go wide, chase balls and then try to make things happen for the other 1 forward left in the danger area.

How about we sign an attacking midfielder with pace to do this. How about not having slow ponderous, defensive deep sitting midfielders who take ages to get upfield and support an attack.

We are crying out for pace and energy in midfield. We don't need an other striker who carries the slow lazy plodders we have at the moment

No I do not mean Messi either. A Youth player or someone from the lower divisions or juniors would do. Just have pace and presence. Look at the difference J Walker made this year. He was not always brilliant but he had pace and confidence and helped carry the ball forward.

Any time I've been to a Rovers game (and that's a fair few now!) I've almost always been impressed with Baird. Even when things aren't happening for him up front, he is all over the pitch trying to make things happen. Would have been very happy with him coming to EEP but I have a sneaky feeling he'll end up at Falkirk <_<

I think everyone knew he was going for a while I would guess mcglynn has his eye on someone within the sfl much like with Baird tade and Brian Graham. Hopefully we are not counting on pure loan out hearts youth players

It just shows that we cannot compete with any other teams in the league for next season. We're going to be getting average 2nd and 3rd division standard players and hoping we can finish 8th above Cowdenbeath and Dumbarton or Airdrie.

Every other team that has cut back their squad has gone on to rely heavily on youth. We can't do this and this solely lies with the Board of Directors and John McGlynn. Why would would any good prospect and talented youngster sign with us when no one has made it through our youth system (Donaldson apart) in 6 years and we spend more time developing Hearts and Dundee Utd players. It's been clear for years that unless you have a rich owner who will bank roll signings, that investing in youth is the only way forward for clubs in Scotland. We have drastically failed in this department. Their is young talent out there and other clubs find it. Turnball Hutton mentioned in the FFP recently that it's his hope e find a James McCarthy and sell him for a profit. How is that going to happen with our current set-up.

Sorry for the rant but every year we give youngsters a contract, have a few of them on the bench, don't play them, get Hearts/Dundee Utd players on loan, then release our own youngsters and restart the cycle. It just can't continue. Unfortunately with our current BOD and manager I don't see it any other way.

I think everyone knew he was going for a while I would guess mcglynn has his eye on someone within the sfl much like with Baird tade and Brian Graham. Hopefully we are not counting on pure loan out hearts youth players

Am I the only one that doesn't see the problem with loaning players? As long as they get the job done and keep us up I'm not particularly fussed where they come from. unsure.gif

It just shows that we cannot compete with any other teams in the league for next season. We're going to be getting average 2nd and 3rd division standard players and hoping we can finish 8th above Cowdenbeath and Dumbarton or Airdrie.

A bit early for cynicsim. At least wiat for him to sign guys before consigning us to defeat. As for youth, well the current crop are the only guys who have gone the whole way through under McG's revised systems. We've gone form having guys like Bryce, Graham and Dingwall basically failing at second division level to Donaldson who looked more or less comfortable at first divsion level. The system has improved and guys are starting to come through.

I also believe that in terms of catchment, it's harder for the Fife teams to come up with the next big thing when seen in comparison to the likes of Hamilton and Livingston. Geography does matter. In any case, we have Donaldson and Wilson and Callachan looked fine when they played. I believe someone mentioned on twitter that Wilson ahd been offered a contract, and I don't think Callachan would have got on against Morton if McG wasn't planning on using him. That could potentially mean 3 guys from the youth team into the first team. That's got to be good

Am I the only one that doesn't see the problem with loaning players? As long as they get the job done and keep us up I'm not particularly fussed where they come from. unsure.gif

Well exactly, in the modern system what is the difference between a guy on a one year contract and a guy on loan from another club for a year. Basically the latter knows where he's going at the end of the year but that's it.

Of we get someone decent for a year that's fine but if we get a new face 1 2 or six months with varying degrees of ability and commitment is a bit pish really.

Anyone know what happened with the former youth director who jumped before he was pushed. And is it in anyway connected to our poor ratio of success with players coming through

Correct. Would we have stayed up without Jason Thomson and Jamie Walker, and to a lesser extent Pat Clarke and David Smith?

Would we f**k.

Edited by Paco

Pretty close to what you'd expect. Hopefully we can retain the rest on the list.

Was just looking through the Scotland squad for the USA friendly and great to see two players who spent time at Starks Park in there - Goodwillie and Russell. Not happened since the days of Cameron and Crawford.