The New Raith Rovers Thread

I can see why people might not rate Davidson, but I think he's definitely in the "unsung hero" category, does a lot of work so that others don't have to. I would take exception to the "headless chicken" thing, because while he does do an awful lot of running around, and sometimes does leave a gap behind, it's rarely, if ever, without reason. He always has a purpose with whatever he's doing.

I'd definitely have him second or third in my "keep" list, behind McGurn and possibly Baird.

I can see why people might not rate Davidson, but I think he's definitely in the "unsung hero" category, does a lot of work so that others don't have to. I would take exception to the "headless chicken" thing, because while he does do an awful lot of running around, and sometimes does leave a gap behind, it's rarely, if ever, without reason. He always has a purpose with whatever he's doing.

I'd definitely have him second or third in my "keep" list, behind McGurn and possibly Baird.

I'm with you RATM

I think the last quarter this season Davo has been immense.

Don't forget he drove our midfield to an aggregate 8-1 victory in our last two games versus the mighty Tidserou. ;)

Davidson will be missed if he goes, and in a few years remembered fondly as a solid servant to the club. Look at the muppets who have gone before him. He's definitely one of the better midfielders we've had.

Bring back Bobby Sloan....

Regarding Davidson, he's definitely upped his game when back in the team this season. Whether he should be kept or not, I don't know. He's great at breaking up play and can ping a useful ball out wide but for a tall guy he's pretty useless at picking up his man for corners. Watch the highlights closely - a fair proportion of the time it's him being beaten when we concede at set pieces. Now, i'm prepared to accept having a dominant centre-half would help us no end in this department so ultimately I'm no closer to figuring out if we'd be better or worse without him.

Maybe getting rid would move us closer to the pacy midfield we all dream of; or maybe........

With the return if part time football can we get Craig Wilson and mark ferry back.

...we can't have Hammil AND Ferry in the same midfield - it's slow enough thank you.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/Sport/Football/article/22650/raith-rovers-move-to-some-part-time-players-is-further-proof-of-scottish-football-s-financial-crisis.html

Seems that we're gearing up to be completely part-time come the end of next season.

Have to agree with Hutton's comments regarding the SPL. Fans have been wanting change in Scottish football for years yet the SPL continue to fanny around.

and whos fault is that?

partially blaming scottish football for raiths poor finances is deflecting from poor budgeting by the club over many years

Seems in the FFP that we're either offering part-time deals or nothing at all to any full-timers outside of Baird and Davidson - wonder where that leaves the likes of Hill, Ellis, Allan Walker, Williamson, Callachan, Wilson and Laidlaw. Could all be off.

Davidson and Baird also contemplating offers from other sides, apparently. If they do sign for other teams it seems it'll be a mostly part-time set-up.

:unsure:

Seems in the FFP that we're either offering part-time deals or nothing at all to any full-timers outside of Baird and Davidson - wonder where that leaves the likes of Hill, Ellis, Allan Walker, Williamson, Callachan, Wilson and Laidlaw. Could all be off.

Davidson and Baird also contemplating offers from other sides, apparently. If they do sign for other teams it seems it'll be a mostly part-time set-up.

:unsure:

To be fair, all it indicates is that Baird and Davidson have definitely been offered full time deals. It doesn't explicitly rule out the idea that a few others have been as well.

Of the guys you mention, well Williamson would probably be out the door regardless, Callacahn, Wilson and Laidlaw would no doubt take any offer they were given due to their youth and need to establish themselves in senior football and Hill and Ellis could go back to part time with relative ease I'd imagine.

To be fair, all it indicates is that Baird and Davidson have definitely been offered full time deals. It doesn't explicitly rule out the idea that a few others have been as well.

Of the guys you mention, well Williamson would probably be out the door regardless, Callacahn, Wilson and Laidlaw would no doubt take any offer they were given due to their youth and need to establish themselves in senior football and Hill and Ellis could go back to part time with relative ease I'd imagine.

Hutton is quoted as saying "“We’re looking at another two full-timers on top of the ones we’ve already got signed and that would give you the spine of a team,”, which would suggest Davidson and Baird will be the only two offered.

The likes of Hill and Ellis may well be able to switch back easily enough but any full-time offers from elsewhere would surely see them go. Allan Walker has also, to my knowledge, always been a full-time player so I imagine he'll be looking elsewhere too.

If putting out as cheap a side as possible is all we can do then for the long-term future of the club it's definitely the right thing to do. Looks like next season is going to be much the same as this one though...