The New Raith Rovers Thread

Good news all round and well done to him for taking a pay cut too. Not many would be doing that.

We were dreadful for the first two-thirds of this season, no shying away from that, and I doubt I was the only one sitting at Hamilton on that Tuesday night glumly accepting we were going down, but our form since then has been the best in the league aside from Ross County. Credit can only go to McGlynn for that. Onwards and upwards.

Why?Is it because I`m one of the doubters?Your childish response doesn`t make you look big Latto but at least try and quantify your childish response with an explanation.

Essentially yes. All week you've been posting about how it "might not be McGlynn" who makes the decision on player's futures, when it was well known that he was signing a contract this week.

I've yet to see you, or anyone else for that matter, come up with a name other than McGlynn.

Year on year improvement minus this year, and even then we can still finish 7th with a win on Saturday. Hardly a disaster. A strong last quarter has got us with the second best form in the league and he's pulled us through when it mattered most.

There is no other manager I'd rather have at the moment, because he's the best man for it.

He's proved he genuinely cares about the club as well by taking a pay cut. I don't know of many other managers who are in on Sundays washing strips and mopping out the changing rooms either. He certainly earns his, now lesser, wage.

So aye, McGlynn, all round gid c**t.

A one year deal was the correct call. When you consider the season we've had and the financial position of the club, anything longer would have been a mistake.

Unfortunately, I would imagine that the players whose contracts are extended will be looking at the same - we can't afford to run the risk of going down with 7 or 8 players (for instance) tied up for another year on a full-time deal. I'm sure there have been players in the past that have said the two-year deal was a factor in them signing here, but we can't afford another financial disaster like this season. It harms our competitiveness in getting players in, but that's something we're just going to have to deal with.

I can understand why not everyone would be happy with McGlynn extending his stay. We've had a crap season, we are generally awful to and we looked to have gone stale for long parts of the season.

For me, there have been a few failings this season outside the obvious league position:

1) The way we play. McGlynn said at the start of the season that he wanted to play better football, but the 'passing game' was quickly ditched after he realised that the players we had were incapable of creating chances this way. The hoofball tactics didn't work either, mostly due to the absence of Tadé.

2) McGlynn got it wrong in the summer. The wholly full-time squad - barring McGurn - didn't work, and the amount of loanees we have brought in over the season is testament to this. I make it nine, and we also signed Casa. I know we generally always do a couple of loan deals, but nine is ridiculous. Naturally, this brings us on to...

3) The youth team. Reece Donaldson played the first half of the season and Ross Laidlaw has started twice, but the others have had more or less no game time at all. Despite saying we would be relying on them to fall back on, the likes of Wilson and Callaghan haven't really been given much of a shot. If McGlynn doesn't deem the players good enough to start, then what's the point in having it? I note McGlynn is taking charge of it next year, so hopefully something changes with regards to getting players into the first team. I'd happily get rid of it tomorrow, in all honesty; all it's done is waste money so far.

All things considered, I think McGlynn deserves another year. Despite that, I don't buy the 'stability' line that's being chucked about. He's been here six years, so it's not as if we're going through turmoil of ditching managers every 9 months or so. That is when stability is a very real concern.

Essentially yes. 've been posting about how it "might not be McGlynn" who makes the decision on player's futures, when it was well known that he was signing a contract this week. All week you

I've yet to see you, or anyone else for that matter, come up with a name other than McGlynn.

Year on year improvement minus this year, and even then we can still finish 7th with a win on Saturday. Hardly a disaster. A strong last quarter has got us with the second best form in the league and he's pulled us through when it mattered most.

There is no other manager I'd rather have at the moment, because he's the best man for it.

He's proved he genuinely cares about the club as well by taking a pay cut. I don't know of many other managers who are in on Sundays washing strips and mopping out the changing rooms either. He certainly earns his, now lesser, wage.

So aye, McGlynn, all round gid c**t.

See,that wasn`t difficult.

You`ve been posting about how it "might not be McGlynn" who makes the decision on player's futures, when it was well known that he was signing a contract this week.

Slight exag on my posting all week about how it "might not be McGlynn" might being the operative word.I think I posted it once.As far as it being well known that he was signing a contract,I was aware of a rumour no more and that was after I posted "it might not be McGlynn"

I don`t see why I or indeed anyone else needs to come up with an alternative because were looking for change but for the record would have taken a chance on Mickey or Hartley for instance...When folk come on here week after week questioning players abilities were not suddenly asking for alternatives.

McGlynn may well be gid c**t but thats neither here nor there.

fff me if we all had the same opinion the`d be no point to these forums

Now a squad of players to assemble and hopefully a Chairman

I have my season ticket so will be down to support no matter whos in charge

Edited by Rovers_Lad

A one year deal was the correct call. When you consider the season we've had and the financial position of the club, anything longer would have been a mistake.

Unfortunately, I would imagine that the players whose contracts are extended will be looking at the same - we can't afford to run the risk of going down with 7 or 8 players (for instance) tied up for another year on a full-time deal. I'm sure there have been players in the past that have said the two-year deal was a factor in them signing here, but we can't afford another financial disaster like this season. It harms our competitiveness in getting players in, but that's something we're just going to have to deal with.

I can understand why not everyone would be happy with McGlynn extending his stay. We've had a crap season, we are generally awful to and we looked to have gone stale for long parts of the season.

For me, there have been a few failings this season outside the obvious league position:

1) The way we play. McGlynn said at the start of the season that he wanted to play better football, but the 'passing game' was quickly ditched after he realised that the players we had were incapable of creating chances this way. The hoofball tactics didn't work either, mostly due to the absence of Tadé.

2) McGlynn got it wrong in the summer. The wholly full-time squad - barring McGurn - didn't work, and the amount of loanees we have brought in over the season is testament to this. I make it nine, and we also signed Casa. I know we generally always do a couple of loan deals, but nine is ridiculous. Naturally, this brings us on to...

3) The youth team. Reece Donaldson played the first half of the season and Ross Laidlaw has started twice, but the others have had more or less no game time at all. Despite saying we would be relying on them to fall back on, the likes of Wilson and Callaghan haven't really been given much of a shot. If McGlynn doesn't deem the players good enough to start, then what's the point in having it? I note McGlynn is taking charge of it next year, so hopefully something changes with regards to getting players into the first team. I'd happily get rid of it tomorrow, in all honesty; all it's done is waste money so far.

All things considered, I think McGlynn deserves another year. Despite that, I don't buy the 'stability' line that's being chucked about. He's been here six years, so it's not as if we're going through turmoil of ditching managers every 9 months or so. That is when stability is a very real concern.

Helmet

:lol:;)

Before February I was at my lowest ebb watching us under McGlynn and was thinking his time was up as far as managing us was concerned.

He's won me round again though, after a solid late-season performance re tactics (the Partick away game notwithstanding!), substitutions and particularly bringing in new blood. We all must admit Walker/Casa/Clarke/Thomson have done their bit in helping us stay up.

At a time when all and sundry are panicking about saving as much as they can; to then keep a workaholic gaffer on less pay is a bit of a win I must say!

Now can we pleeeeease use the cash saved on McGlynns' new contract by sorting out the midfield once and for all?! Just someone who can carry the ball forward at a pace faster than an asthmatic donkey??

Edited by pantene proV

There were rumours they tried to sign him last season as they thought he was out of contract. There's no way of knowing until the season's up, I suspect.

What I will say, is that there's a better than chance we will lose players we all thought we would keep to other sides in the division, even after the season we've had. I think that teams are going to be looking around the 1st more than ever when signing players for next season.

If we can somehow manage to keep McGurn and Davo to go along with Murray and Graham then we've already got a decent spine to the team. Some of the guys out of contract may well have to follow McGlynn and take a pay cut if they want to stay at this level which could be win-win for the club.

There are going to be hundreds of footballers across Scotland released and looking for a club this summer, it's up to the manager now to find a gem like he did with Tade or some hungry, talented youngsters freed by SPL clubs etc on lower wages. A few fresh faces could give us just the boost we need.

So when all is said and done we've ended up 7th with 44 points. A position and points tally I would've taken at the start of the season.

No doubt decisions will be taken this week re the makeup of the 2012/13 squad so should be an interesting week ahead.