The New Raith Rovers Thread

List of players offered new contracts

Baird's on the list, so there's obviously no guarantee we'll actually see any of them next season, but they are the ones we're trying to keep.

Casa's away though. I'll need a new avatar. Bollocks.

Pretty much as expected. Obivously Bair dis away but if we hung on to the rest of that list we'd be in not too bad a shape. Good to see Wilson and Callachan on the 'would like to keep' list - Must surely count as breaking the youth through, no?

Assuming we kept all on the list, and even minus one of Davo or Walker, I figure we'd be looking for a right back, a couple of wide players and a couple of strikers - or at least one utility guy that can play out wide or up top.

I'm happy with the players that have been offered terms, the biggest surprise is that there are no real surprises on the list. Is there not usually a surprise release and/or re-signing?

Presumably the final squad will be bulked out by the usual raft of - hopefully Jamie Walker-esque - loanees.

I'm happy with the players that have been offered terms, the biggest surprise is that there are no real surprises on the list. Is there not usually a surprise release and/or re-signing?

Presumably the final squad will be bulked out by the usual raft of - hopefully Jamie Walker-esque - loanees.

I'd say we're unlikely to see someone of Jamie's talent back at Stark's for a wee while. Sure we get the occasional loanee, but in my opinion if he keeps his head down he'll be destined for bigger things. That said, he is only 19 so Hearts might well want to send him back out on loan again and given his link here I think we'd be the first port of call.

No real surprises at all. I thought Hill would be our surprise by being let go but I'll be happy to see him stay.

Hopefully everyone who has been offered terms with the obvious exception of Baird stays. I think Davidson and Allan Walker will be off though, albeit it's nothing more than a gut feeling.

I think we'll see a lot more of Ross Callachan next season. Hopefully anyway, he's an excellent central midfielder.

He was exceptionally unlucky when he played last season. Came on when we were playing brutal against Airdrie and got unlucky with an unexpected break that others may have scored, and then sent off against Ayr with a rash challenge. Hopefully, he can forget those incidents and move on from them and establish himself. We've all got to get right behind the young players, much like we did we with Reece during the first half of next season.

It sickens me that a team can pay off their debts at 6p in the pound and within 18 months can outbid their divisional rivals for players.

Do you post on Fantalk by any chance? If not, you'll fit right in. icon_thumbs.gif

It sickens me that a team can pay off their debts at 6p in the pound and within 18 months can outbid their divisional rivals for players.

As long as they are living within their means then there really isnt an issue. Dundee will undoubtedly have a bigger budget than ourselves and you cant blame John for leaving the team that finished 7th for the team that finished 2nd.

Good signing IMO, can play at Centre back too so adds a bit of extra cover too.

Hopefully there is some more news in the pipeline - after all the doom and gloom it may actually turn out to be not so bad in the end. If the core of players offered new deals sign up again we can build the team around them, probably targetting a natural wide man, a striker or two and maybe another Midfielder.

Don't want to obviously get carried away yet, but I have faith in McGlynn and I think that's a good first signing and here's hoping for a few more!

Do you post on Fantalk by any chance? If not, you'll fit right in. icon_thumbs.gif

As long as they are living within their means then there really isnt an issue. Dundee will undoubtedly have a bigger budget than ourselves and you cant blame John for leaving the team that finished 7th for the team that finished 2nd.

I disagree. Dundee are undoubtedly a bigger club than Rovers with a bigger income and at the moment better prospects for promotion and I have no problem with Baird leaving to better himself but the fact that this is just over a year after they ran up huge debts does feel just a little unfair and to use the phrase of the moment - lacking in sporting integrity.

I don't think it's necessarily 'Fantalkish' to feel aggrieved at one of our rivals in the league having benefited from a ridiculous 6p in the pound administration last year which allowed them to shed their debts so now they are offering bigger wages to take our best player. That makes administration something that will give you a competitive advantage rather than a punishment which should be avoided at all costs.

I'm assuming he's part time?

No idea, anyone? Also no mention of length of contract.

Good news that we've signed somebody though, I didn't think we'd be in the market till closer to the season when we have an income again, shows what I know eh.

In McGlynn we trust!

I've got no problem with Bairds decision to move to a bigger/better team with more promotion prospects, he's earned it and good luck to him, it just sticks in the craw a bit that they can shed £2 million worth of debt for a song and then offer better terms within a year than rivals who service their debt to the detriment of their team.

I'm not entirely sure why this personal opinion of mine is "fantalkish"