The New Raith Rovers Thread

Willie Dyer has signed a 1 year deal with Morton, good luck to him.

Won't miss Dyer. Couldn't stand the thought of another season of 'crosses' going straight into the South Stand.

McGlynn awarded MOTM for April

Copied from rrfc.net

John McGlynn

John McGlynn has topped off a successful few weeks for Raith Rovers by being awarded the IRN-BRU Phenomenal First Division Manager of the Month for April.

As the team were near the bottom of the table, it was easy to overlook the fact that Raith were second only to Ross County in the number of points won towards the end of the season. This set of results – ending with an away win against Morton on Saturday – led to the team finishing 7th in the league.

John said, “I am delighted by the recognition this award gives for the efforts of the whole team, and how everyone both on and off the pitch pulled together during the final games. We saw some great performances and finished in a safe place, and look forward to the season ahead.”

John, who has just signed up for another year at Stark’s Park, was awarded PFA Scotland Manager of the Year 2010-11. In addition to his managerial role, he has also recently taken over the running of Raith’s Youth Academy.

John Baird has just confirmed on Twitter that he is moving on from the club.

Ah well.

Hopefully McG wasn't putting all his eggs in that basket and has a replacement in mind. With Andy Walls (also from twitter) not getting a contract, then a strike partner for Graham is unlikely to come from within the club.

Dundee bound?

I'd take Clarke assuming the pars release him tomorrow. Not as good as Baird but he'd do me.

Yeah, and McG has been a fan for a while - pretty sure he tried to get him a couple of years back - but the work rate would have to come from somewhere else. We've always had someone: Weir, Baird even Tade who were tireless runners. Both Graham and Clarke are different types of player to that in my mind.

If we were to sign Clarke and put him up top with Graham we'd need two wingers who would be able to supply them and put in the work rate required. Not the type of players who'll drop deep to collect the ball like Baird did.

Exactly, though I'd guess that both wide positions are something we'll have to shop for anyway. Doubt Mcbride or Williamson will be kept.....

Gotta hope so but it depends if McGlynn still thinks Hammil is a wide midfielder.

He may not have the option to play Hammill out there if Davidson and Walker move on. I think there are occasional signs of life in Hammill and he himself obviously wants to play in the middle so I think that McG might be best, since he is stuck with him, of building a midfield around Hammill. Accept that he has a good footballing brain and a decent range of passing but not the dig and simply put guys round him to compensate.

Ah well.

Hopefully McG wasn't putting all his eggs in that basket and has a replacement in mind. With Andy Walls (also from twitter) not getting a contract, then a strike partner for Graham is unlikely to come from within the club.

Dundee bound?

I am more annoyed about Walls being released than Baird leaving. Yet again 12 months ago this young guy was good enough to give a full time pro contract to. He had 20 minutes (?) of first team action this season. He could not get a chance because McGlynn filled our midfield with loanees from Hearts and would not drop Walker or Hamill when they were rubbish.

Now we are letting him go.

Why do we do this? We have paid out a wage all season for a player who has hardly featured, who the manager obviously did not rate (or he would have been given a chance) and we are not going to make any return for years of investment.

I can appreciate other players like Baird, Dyer, possibly Davo etc moving on. Why do we waste wage after wage year after year offering youngsters contracts for them never to get a chance then free them.

If they ain't good enough don't give them a pro contract. If they are good enough for a pro contract then use them in matches. Don't give them pro contracts have them sidelined and then free them!

He may not have the option to play Hammill out there if Davidson and Walker move on. I think there are occasional signs of life in Hammill and he himself obviously wants to play in the middle so I think that McG might be best, since he is stuck with him, of building a midfield around Hammill. Accept that he has a good footballing brain and a decent range of passing but not the dig and simply put guys round him to compensate.

Well he has played in the middle all season! He's shown some neat touches and passes but I feel he lacks the work rate and speed to play as the winger he's meant to have been this season. Maybe if we manage to keep Davo for that bit of dig they could perform a good partnership with Joe doing the passing and dictating the play in a playmaker role whist Davo can do the ugly, breaking up play. A bit like Cabaye and Tiote at Newcastle albeit no where near at that level but it's got potential to work.

If we were to sign Clarke and put him up top with Graham we'd need two wingers who would be able to supply them and put in the work rate required. Not the type of players who'll drop deep to collect the ball like Baird did.

Fair point. We'll surely need a third forward anyway, so maybe whoever that is can fill the workhorse role.

I am more annoyed about Walls being released than Baird leaving. Yet again 12 months ago this young guy was good enough to give a full time pro contract to. He had 20 minutes (?) of first team action this season. He could not get a chance because McGlynn filled our midfield with loanees from Hearts and would not drop Walker or Hamill when they were rubbish.

Now we are letting him go.

Why do we do this? We have paid out a wage all season for a player who has hardly featured, who the manager obviously did not rate (or he would have been given a chance) and we are not going to make any return for years of investment.

I can appreciate other players like Baird, Dyer, possibly Davo etc moving on. Why do we waste wage after wage year after year offering youngsters contracts for them never to get a chance then free them.

If they ain't good enough don't give them a pro contract. If they are good enough for a pro contract then use them in matches. Don't give them pro contracts have them sidelined and then free them!

I think we'll see less of this now that McGlynn is youth director as well as manager. Either the promoted players will feature more, or there'll be less contracts handed out. Probably take at least a year to really take effect though.

How would they line-up? Clarke and Graham with the energetic player just behind?

I was more thinking a partnership of the energetic player and either Graham/Clarke. We might be limited financially but its imperative we have a decent option up front on the bench. One of the main factors in our improved form was having subs who could come on and make a difference to a game rather than subs who just made up the numbers.

Edited by Martin Nelson

I was more thinking a partnership of the energetic player and either Graham/Clarke. We might be limited financially but its imperative we have a decent option up front on the bench. One of the main factors in our improved form was having subs who could come on and make a difference to a game rather than subs who just made up the numbers.

Clarke has looked pretty decent coming off the bench so I suppose it could work. Shame we can't keep Casa, he's the type of player you'll struggle to find at this level up top, can completely change a game.