The New Raith Rovers Thread

10 minutes ago, renton said:

Am I right in saying MAtthews would have a two game ban for serious foul play?

The suspensions list should be out tomorrow so we'll find out for sure, but Ryan Porteous got an immediate two match ban for his red card at Ibrox, which was pretty much the same situation as Matthews, so I'd say you're correct. 

Tait wasn't at his best last night but has been decent by and large over the last couple of months.

One thing I would say is I found it brutal how quick folk were to abuse our players in the second half last night. Tait misplaced a pass and a guy behind was screaming that he should "f**k off to Easter Road already". Folk were grumbling at us playing it on the deck looking for an opening then whinging when we'd shell it long for a centre half.

I get that it's frustrating and that people want us to be doing better, but it doesn't do anyone any good to be slaughtering our own players. I don't mean to go all Falkirk Q&A and suggest our players don't want to try things as they might get booed - I think they've got the nous and experience to know they can persist -but on one of the Open Goal podcasts (which I don't usually listen to) Si Ferry was 100% right that we don't give players a chance to make errors as people get on their back so quickly.

14 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Non football related, but walking to the ground tonight, noticed some fud has their Christmas tree up. Its October ffs. Is this a Dunfermline thing?

Haha clocked this too.

Not the first time I've seen this either in Dunf.. some boy in the new flats at the bottom of the town facing down to Hospital Hill/Wee Asda left their tree up all year a few years back

16 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I thought Tait was alright tonight. He was much worse on Saturday. 

Big fan of Tom Lang based on tonight though, he strolled it. 

Mitchell also showed up well when he got on. 

Lang clearly showed he can replace either Bene or Berra in the next year or two with ease. If McKay comes through to JMcG’s expectations, we may well have our next pairing for five years plus.

Is he not a male model [emoji847]
I was told a story about him while at dunfermline with that. Apparently his management team asked for money to appear in any photos promoting the strips etc. No idea if it's true or not. Wouldnt really be surprising considering their board seem clueless.

I’ve been quietly waiting for Lang to get a shot as I’ve always thought he did pretty well against us and just generally quite liked the cut of his jib (what’s a jib?). Looks like a footballer - tall, athletic, can play a bit. I thought he did very well, especially when you consider his injury at the start of the season and subsequent lack of games. If Bene is out for any length of time and Lang does well, McGlynn will have a real headache at centre half.

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

If Bene is out for any length of time and Lang does well, McGlynn will have a real headache at centre half.

Especially with Musonda coming back, though I suspect he'll slot in for BRS in midfield. 

31 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’ve been quietly waiting for Lang to get a shot as I’ve always thought he did pretty well against us and just generally quite liked the cut of his jib (what’s a jib?). Looks like a footballer - tall, athletic, can play a bit. I thought he did very well, especially when you consider his injury at the start of the season and subsequent lack of games. If Bene is out for any length of time and Lang does well, McGlynn will have a real headache at centre half.

It's a sail.

2 minutes ago, embow said:

Don't know if this helps or not?🤔

One's general appearance or personality, as in I don't like the cut of Ben's jib. In the 17th century the shape of the jib sail often identified a vessel's nationality, and hence whether it was hostile or friendly. The term was being used figuratively by the early 1800s, often to express like or dislike for someone. A jib is a triangular sail near the front of a sailing ship. In the 1600s, the style (or “cut”) of the jib sail could be used to tell viewers a lot about a ship, such as where it was from or what its purpose was. Today, this phrase has come to mean something like “I like how you look” or, more figuratively, “I like how you think.”

I see the Fife Free Press have decided today's the day to run with the "breaking news" that the Rovers will play Caley Thistle in the Challenge Cup, a draw that was made on... 

*checks notes*

...Wednesday 7 July. 

If you want to be charitable, we didn't technically know we'd definitely be playing Inverness until we beat East Fife and they beat Elgin on... Saturday 9 October. 

Breaking news, indeed. 

51 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

And they've got the cheek to put in pop up ads inviting readers to subscribe to "quality local journalism".

Really, which competitors are they offering up to subscribe to? That’s the only way to get that quality.

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Brutal lack of competition. Too soon to recall Keatings?