The New Raith Rovers Thread

On the Bill Clark thing. No idea whether what he said on K107 was true or not. We’ll probably never know. The only reasons I could see him being keen to portray it as Clyde offering us the player rather than the other way around would be to protect John McGlynn and minimise his role in the whole thing. Many at the time were saying he was to blame for wanting the player in the first place. It would also help shift the blame to Sim and the rest of the board as the ones who rubber stamped it. 

7 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

And they're 50K better off. Win win.

Is that what the transfer fee was? I thought it was “undisclosed” which I’m taking to mean at least one party didn’t want the figure known and that both Clubs then agree to keep the information private.

If that figure is correct, it doesn’t seem much for the top goal scorer in Scotland with 18 months remaining on his contract.

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

Is that what the transfer fee was? I thought it was “undisclosed” which I’m taking to mean at least one party didn’t want the figure known and that both Clubs then agree to keep the information private.

If that figure is correct, it doesn’t seem much for the top goal scorer in Scotland with 18 months remaining on his contract.

Were you on holiday 3 weeks ago?

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

50k plus savings on his wages is a hell of a wedge to a League 1 club. And Goodwillie is(was) probably in the last of his best footballing years.

8 hours ago, flood said:

Do Raith fans actually think McGlyn would allow the board to identify and sign players without his say so?

Seems a bit off deflection going on…

Agreed. If he was so strongly against this signing or even the mechanism by which it happened (ie without his say-so) then he would walk of his own accord?

It's obvious all McGlynn wanted was a goalscorer & it sounds like he didn't really care that much about the back story.

Edited by da_no_1

28 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Were you on holiday 3 weeks ago?

No. I just wondered if the 50k was an accurate figure or a guess,  as both clubs must have agreed to confidentiality.

50 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

50k plus savings on his wages is a hell of a wedge to a League 1 club. And Goodwillie is(was) probably in the last of his best footballing years.

To Clyde he’d not be replaceable so the 50k if that is the transfer fee is not quite as valuable as you’d imagine. His wages we would hope would remain in the player budget and be used to help bring in several players at a slightly higher wage than we currently can afford across several positions.

Playing with better players he would have most likely done really well for you for a good couple of seasons at least. 
Being offered a 2 and a half year contract at almost 33 would show that the RR manager thought so too.

We’ll never know now.

Anyway, good luck to RR for the rest of the season.

Edited by JBJ

Just now, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Wether both clubs agreed to confidentiality it doesn't prevent from the info leaking out.

Sadly it seems you’re right. Whether or not the figure is accurate is another thing.

Just now, JBJ said:

To Clyde he’d not be replaceable so the 50k if that is the transfer fee is not quite as valuable as you’d imagine. His wages we would hope would remain in the player budget and be used to help bring in several players at a slightly higher wage than we currently can afford across several positions.

Playing with better players he would have most likely done really well for you for a good couple of seasons at least. 
Being offered a 2 and a half year contract at almost 33 would show that your manager thought so too.

We’ll never know now.

Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season.

My manager? Didn't know that Ian McCall had signed him.

15 minutes ago, spot on said:

I’ve heard on good authority that the fee was actually £65,000

Whereas other reports have it at  65k plus a fee per goal....and even an add on if RR achieved promotion.

Edited by JBJ

12 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Still the most unbelievable part of all of this to me. That we actually PAID for the privilege of fucking over our club. 

Yes I’m sure that doesn’t sit well with you at all. And still the 2 and a half year contract to sort out. At the risk of further debate, I wonder what the weekly wage was going to be.

Edited by JBJ

1 hour ago, spot on said:

I’ve heard on good authority that the fee was actually £65,000

If true, that shows the sheer incompetence of McGlynn and the board. Shocking. Every club makes f**k ups, but this one was sitting on their lap.

Edited by Highlandmagyar Tier 3