The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, basher brash said:

Correct Beastie , You would think we were bottom of the league and got knocked out by Boro rangers , Need to back the team more than ever imo 

A reminder that it's little over a year since this guy was knocking on the door. 

I wonder how that company are getting on now...

Spoiler

Screenshot_20240122-143445.thumb.png.8dbd77039cc300e8775d35531cae6cae.png

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

All well and good, but what about Masson... 😉

:lol: Just for you and a certain Rovers supporting Texan…

A goal against every 150 minutes for Masson. 

Obviously with this hefty caveat of playing around 300 minutes and any significant playing time being against lower league opposition.

14 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

A reminder that it's little over a year since this guy was knocking on the door. 

Hide contents

One of the best things John Sim did was tell this c**t to bolt  

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

There has been a lot of talk about our defensive issues and a few complaints about Scott Brown playing there ahead of ‘proper’ centre backs so I thought I’d have a look at the figures between each players appearances at centre back. This is only games they have started as a centre back so doesn’t include any last 5 minutes where Brown may have been midfield but then dropped into a 3 or anything like that.

Euan Murray -  GA every 71 minutes.

Dan O’Reilly - GA every 70 minutes.

Keith Watson - GA every 70 minutes.

Scott Brown - GA every 74 minutes.

Dylan Corr - GA every 65 minutes.

Couple of things to note are before Murray’s injury which I believe he took into the Partick game and he has been struggling with since, he was averaging a goal against every 93 minutes, it has been every 44 minutes since.

Likewise Scott Brown, after the game against Ayr, many of us said it was time to end the experiment of midfielders in defence but before that game he had only conceded a goal against every 110 minutes. Not much in it but he remains our best ‘centre back’ for goals conceded per minute. 

The main point for me looking through that though, is that it doesn’t really matter who we play as centre back, we concede a goal every 65-74 minutes. It’s remarkably consistent across 5 different players.

That to me suggests it isn’t just a problem in the centre of the defence but something the whole team needs to resolve, whether that be getting better at stopping the crosses at source or the centre of midfield providing more protection as well as just our general preference to attack and perhaps needing to seek a better overall balance going forward.

I prefer the question of clean sheets in the League as there is consistency of competition level…there we see something a little different.

-Dick has 3 clean sheets for 20 matches…Millen has 3 clean sheets for 17 matches (at FB), so the Fullbacks are consistent.

-Murray has 4 clean sheets in 18 games…Brown has 2 clean sheets in 11 games, OK, Brown’s not quite a strong at CB.

-O’Reilly had 0 in 6…Corr has 0 in 2…Millen has 1 in 2, the Millen one is the outlier, but it seems to suggest not as good.

-Watson had 2 in 5. That’s nearly double anyone but Millen’s CB numbers, and as the Oh No No No Podcast discussed, Millen is NOT a CB.

Regardless, I do suspect you’re correct in suggesting the problem start further up the pitch, as our midfield seems to have a tendency to allow leakers that result in pressure that our back line sometime doesn’t handle well.

26 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Hide contents

No more dining out on big beefy flavour. 

4 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Prior to last summer I'd have written off the railway stand, but given the progress the current board have made then I've absolutely no doubt they'll be looking at every avenue they can to try to get some changes made. No idea what it will entail, but I'm confident they'll have a plan.

Right, that’s you out’ed as Andy Barrowman after this posts a couple of hours before the Courier runs a blurb on converting the Raikway Stand to safe standing! It’s pretty non-specific, thinking about stuff, looking at methods south of the border, etc…we’re not standing still (cheap pun)…

Another point to add on the defence is consistency. I had a look back at previous games, and unless I've missed something you have to go back to Queen's Park on 11 Nov and Airdrie on 4 Nov to find two games where we started consecutive matches with the same goalkeeper and back line. Including the Challenge Cup, I make that thirteen games in a row where we've changed something in the defensive unit. Compare that to some of the really good defences in the league, like Dundee United and Airdrie, where you can practically name the starting defensive unit week in, week out.

That's not all on the management, as you can't legislate for injuries. It is more than a bit annoying that squandering leads and not being able to deal with balls into the box were two known issues from last season that we haven’t quite been able to address – but as others have said, you can’t just magic a centre-back out of thin air if there are none available. Regardless, I’d hope that whoever we get in (or don’t) during the transfer window, we’re able to get a settled defensive formation on the park for a good few weeks. I know I bang on about this a lot, but hopefully the sum can be greater than its parts and the guys can get used to working as a unit.

Also, just to echo the thoughts above – all of this is light years ahead of where we were this time last year. Just to give one example, Jack Hamilton’s goal on Saturday was a real bright spot for me. It’s exactly the kind of goal we brought him in to score, and now would be an ideal time for him to hit a wee purple patch…

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

Right, that’s you out’ed as Andy Barrowman after this posts a couple of hours before the Courier runs a blurb on converting the Raikway Stand to safe standing! It’s pretty non-specific, thinking about stuff, looking at methods south of the border, etc…we’re not standing still (cheap pun)…

To be fair, the courier article is just taken from the Raith TV interview last week.

It will be interesting to see what they go with though.

2 minutes ago, Kuma Power said:

Another point to add on the defence is consistency. I had a look back at previous games, and unless I've missed something you have to go back to Queen's Park on 11 Nov and Airdrie on 4 Nov to find two games where we started consecutive matches with the same goalkeeper and back line. Including the Challenge Cup, I make that thirteen games in a row where we've changed something in the defensive unit. Compare that to some of the really good defences in the league, like Dundee United and Airdrie, where you can practically name the starting defensive unit week in, week out.

That's not all on the management, as you can't legislate for injuries. It is more than a bit annoying that squandering leads and not being able to deal with balls into the box were two known issues from last season that we haven’t quite been able to address – but as others have said, you can’t just magic a centre-back out of thin air if there are none available. Regardless, I’d hope that whoever we get in (or don’t) during the transfer window, we’re able to get a settled defensive formation on the park for a good few weeks. I know I bang on about this a lot, but hopefully the sum can be greater than its parts and the guys can get used to working as a unit.

Also, just to echo the thoughts above – all of this is light years ahead of where we were this time last year. Just to give one example, Jack Hamilton’s goal on Saturday was a real bright spot for me. It’s exactly the kind of goal we brought him in to score, and now would be an ideal time for him to hit a wee purple patch…

I thought Hamilton played his role really well on Saturday.  So many of our chances come through him.  His rating on the BBC report was just bizarre....to be fair they all were though with the worst rated Livvy player getting a higher rating than the best rated Rovers player. 

He's as guilty as anyone of not being clinical enough but we look a lot more toothless without him up front.  Scored in his last 2 games and now would be a really good time for him to go on a run.

1 hour ago, Kuma Power said:

アイダホ州へ行きたくなくて、カーコーディで家を過ごした方が好きです。

あなたはただ怒っているだけです アイダホにはおいしい寿司がありません。

3 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

All well and good, but what about Masson... 😉

If Masson left who would collect the cones and balls in and go to the Foodbank.

Edited by SerieA

1 hour ago, AllanJM said:

I thought Hamilton played his role really well on Saturday.  So many of our chances come through him.  His rating on the BBC report was just bizarre....to be fair they all were though with the worst rated Livvy player getting a higher rating than the best rated Rovers player. 

He's as guilty as anyone of not being clinical enough but we look a lot more toothless without him up front.  Scored in his last 2 games and now would be a really good time for him to go on a run.

Thought Jack was very good on Saturday.

1 hour ago, AllanJM said:

To be fair, the courier article is just taken from the Raith TV interview last week.

It will be interesting to see what they go with though.

Its amazing how much Journalists get away with "told Raith TV" I clicked on the Fife today and Courier ones thinking they might have new detail.

Good of the clubs volunteers to help  journos fill their pages. The press must have saved a fortune in actually paying guys to report on Rovers. 

Just got round to watching the highlights today.

I left Almondvale frustrated as hell on Saturday, but a really weird frustration. I mean, we played pretty well and usually a decent performance away from home to a team in the league above resulting in a single goal defeat would be decent........ but that really was a such good opportunity missed.

However my frustration has dissipated somewhat after watching the highlights. What the game does confirm to me is that even finishing 2nd still leaves a really decent chance at promotion this season. We play Saturdays game another twice (even with no centre halves) and we win both times. You add Stanton, Murray and Watson to the squad and I'd be hugely confident in any play off tie against a bottom 2 Premiership team.

Jack Hamilton scoring again and his general all round play as well as the way Lewis Vaughan is really coming on to a game gives me huge hope for the remainder of the season. I think if we can get the defence stabilised, move Broony up the field a bit and have our attacking flair midfielders as options from the bench rather than deputising as wing backs etc then we absolutely can regain some league form and push Dundee United all the way.

Even if we ultimately come up short in a title race, from Saturdays evidence, there is more to fear from 3rd and 4th place in the Championship than from 11th in the Premiership.

52 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

Just got round to watching the highlights today.

I left Almondvale frustrated as hell on Saturday, but a really weird frustration. I mean, we played pretty well and usually a decent performance away from home to a team in the league above resulting in a single goal defeat would be decent........ but that really was a such good opportunity missed.

However my frustration has dissipated somewhat after watching the highlights. What the game does confirm to me is that even finishing 2nd still leaves a really decent chance at promotion this season. We play Saturdays game another twice (even with no centre halves) and we win both times. You add Stanton, Murray and Watson to the squad and I'd be hugely confident in any play off tie against a bottom 2 Premiership team.

Jack Hamilton scoring again and his general all round play as well as the way Lewis Vaughan is really coming on to a game gives me huge hope for the remainder of the season. I think if we can get the defence stabilised, move Broony up the field a bit and have our attacking flair midfielders as options from the bench rather than deputising as wing backs etc then we absolutely can regain some league form and push Dundee United all the way.

Even if we ultimately come up short in a title race, from Saturdays evidence, there is more to fear from 3rd and 4th place in the Championship than from 11th in the Premiership.

Similar feeling.

At the game,watched highlights and watched Inside Matchday and still gutted we never won-more than enough chances to win it.

Was Vaughan offside from Jack Hamilton header thru?

Is Brown playing in defence now because he’s not a starter in midfield?