The New Raith Rovers Thread

10 hours ago, RR #1 said:

Both our teams play like we have this weekend for the rest of the season and we will win the league with games to spare.

As for it being our best chance to win the league for a decade. That is just absolute nonsense. Points tally required to win this year is going to be higher than most seasons. Not often you get a team in champ with your budget either. If you beat us to title and only Livi come down we'll be favourites next year and I'm confident our board will further improve the squad.

United on the other hand will be bang in trouble and will be meltdowns galore if you don't win the league.

I doubt either side will win the league with more than a game to spare, if that.

The average points required over the period since we went to 3 point for a win is 74, which would then require 17 out of 21 to be "higher than most seasons", isn't going to happen. If I had to guess, 4 wins, 2 draws and a loss (14 points) would probably win this  league, as the final few games will feature plenty of desperate sides. failing that, it'll be one of us going 5-1-1.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

I doubt either side will win the league with more than a game to spare, if that.

The average points required over the period since we went to 3 point for a win is 74, which would then require 17 out of 21 to be "higher than most seasons", isn't going to happen. If I had to guess, 4 wins, 2 draws and a loss (14 points) would probably win this  league, as the final few games will feature plenty of desperate sides. failing that, it'll be one of us going 5-1-1.

Don't take my posts so seriously. We definitely won't win the league with games to spare. Was just making point about how bad United were on Friday, while we played ok yesterday.

I honestly can't see United only winning 4 out of 7 though. They aren't going to line up like they did on Friday again. I reckon with our inferior goal difference we will need to win 6 games including the one in Dundee to take the title.

5 hours ago, Scottydog said:

I was hoping some of LV's former team-mates might have been included, Ross Callachan came immediately to mind. I was saddened to find out when I checked (on the Ross Co website) that Cal ruptured his ACL against Celtic 3 weeks ago. Given that Callachan, Laidlaw, Matthews and Vaughan all broke through around the same time it'd have been nice to see guys like that back at SP.

It was the beginning of April last year that Callachan was injured and he hasn't played since unfortunately. 

14 hours ago, pub car king said:

If we are winning this league it will be like the 94/95 season where we had a hellish 90 minutes against Hamilton needing a draw. 

As opposed to 92/93 where we skooshed all that came before us.

Looking at the remaining fixtures you could argue Dundee United have a slightly tougher run in finishing away to Airdrie and then home to Partick.

We are away to Morton which is never fun but then home to Arbroath. 

Screenshot_20240316_181753_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240316_181834_Chrome.jpg

your forgetting that Partick and Airdrie will most likely be preparing for the playoffs by then so will be resting players and not going 100%

16 hours ago, pub car king said:

If we are winning this league it will be like the 94/95 season where we had a hellish 90 minutes against Hamilton needing a draw. 

As opposed to 92/93 where we skooshed all that came before us.

Looking at the remaining fixtures you could argue Dundee United have a slightly tougher run in finishing away to Airdrie and then home to Partick.

We are away to Morton which is never fun but then home to Arbroath. 

Screenshot_20240316_181753_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240316_181834_Chrome.jpg

I think we are getting ahead of our selves here. The target for this season is the play off's. Anything beyond this is a massive [unexpected] bonus. Yes, we can dream, but the reality is always to secure second.

I think there needs to be a massive reality check in terms of the teams too. Our player budget is [allegedly] less than half that of United. United have external training facilities - we use our pitch and a local gym. I am not knocking Rovers', but we need to remember the realities here. What we have achieved so far is amazing. If we finish in the Play off's that will be an exceptional season. If, by some reason, we do finish top it will be a season beyond belief.

Including the wobbles we have had, I am exceptionally proud of the team on and off the pitch. And no matter what happens at the end of the season I will be applauding them off the pitch.

34 minutes ago, chris1883 said:

I think we are getting ahead of our selves here. The target for this season is the play off's. Anything beyond this is a massive [unexpected] bonus. Yes, we can dream, but the reality is always to secure second.

I think there needs to be a massive reality check in terms of the teams too. Our player budget is [allegedly] less than half that of United. United have external training facilities - we use our pitch and a local gym. I am not knocking Rovers', but we need to remember the realities here. What we have achieved so far is amazing. If we finish in the Play off's that will be an exceptional season. If, by some reason, we do finish top it will be a season beyond belief.

Including the wobbles we have had, I am exceptionally proud of the team on and off the pitch. And no matter what happens at the end of the season I will be applauding them off the pitch.

Far too sensible a post chris1883, I concur with your sentiments 

I've seen a bit of chat here about Raith never having a better opportunity than this to win promotion, and I would agree. Yes, if you stay down it means by definition that we go up, and Livingston will surely not be in a healthy state next season. Having said that, you don't know what next season will look like. Other teams will strengthen too, Falkirk will have all the momentum in the world next season, and who knows what happens to the many loan players Raith currently have. There's absolutely no guarantee Raith will be as strong as they have been this season, and given how many games this season have been won by a single goal (and quite often by very late goals), is that sustainable next season? Who knows. There are a lot of variables over the course of a full season.

As things currently stand, you have seven games to win one more point than a Dundee United side who have been haemorrhaging points since late December. You've had three recent opportunities to go ahead of us, and failed to take any of them. You failed to beat Morton at home and you utterly shat the bed against Arbroath (I have no idea how yesterday's game went in fairness). Right here right now, you are up against a team filled with players who are either off form, chucking it or just not good enough, managed by an idiot. You absolutely will not get a better shot than this.

10 minutes ago, chris1883 said:

100% this ! 

This league campaign has so far for me been as good if not better than any of the other seasons we've had at the top end of the championship:

99/00 we ultimately blew a great chance to go up with 3 promotion spots and finished 5th. 

10/11 We ran out of steam. The defeat at East End took a long time to get over too, and I still wonder why we dropped McGurn in the run in.

15/16... we went on a solid run after Daly moved on and the option to fire long balls at him was removed, but we were never finishing above 4th. The home playoff v Hibs was good but we conceded early soft goals in the return leg. 

20/21 Had some great moments but it was hardly the same watching online.

People need to remember how tight the Championship is, getting 7 points from 9 in a week, with 3 clean sheets is a solid return.

Most teams can all on their day beat each other. Year in year out you see that and we've no right to expect to take 12 points from anyone in this league.

I've never expected us to win the league given United's team and finances. I'm delighted that each time we've played them we've got a good result and then still been in touch by the next game v them.

Lets get The Shed sold out when it goes on sale. Get up there in big numbers and make a load of noise... we've spent years in the seaside league so enjoy this whether we win the league or not.

4 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I've seen a bit of chat here about Raith never having a better opportunity than this to win promotion, and I would agree. Yes, if you stay down it means by definition that we go up, and Livingston will surely not be in a healthy state next season. Having said that, you don't know what next season will look like. Other teams will strengthen too, Falkirk will have all the momentum in the world next season, and who knows what happens to the many loan players Raith currently have. There's absolutely no guarantee Raith will be as strong as they have been this season, and given how many games this season have been won by a single goal (and quite often by very late goals), is that sustainable next season? Who knows. There are a lot of variables over the course of a full season.

As things currently stand, you have seven games to win one more point than a Dundee United side who have been haemorrhaging points since late December. You've had three recent opportunities to go ahead of us, and failed to take any of them. You failed to beat Morton at home and you utterly shat the bed against Arbroath (I have no idea how yesterday's game went in fairness). Right here right now, you are up against a team filled with players who are either off form, chucking it or just not good enough, managed by an idiot. You absolutely will not get a better shot than this.

Yep this is my take on it.

14 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Yeah we might never get a better chance, but realistically after the turmoil and the new owners coming in at the start of this season did we really have the right to be in this position in the first place, the new guys are no mugs and whatever happens from here on in I have every confidence if we're still in this division next season players will have been improved upon.

23 minutes ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

:

99/00 we ultimately blew a great chance to go up with 3 promotion spots and finished 

There were only two promotion spots that season? Ourselves and St Mirren went up. 

6 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

There were only two promotion spots that season? Ourselves and St Mirren went up. 

The premier league was expanding to twelve. The winners of the first division (St Mirren) went up automatically, with second, third and the bottom premier team involved in some sort of convoluted playoff for the remaining two places

However, because Falkirk finished third without a compliant stadium, Dunfermline were promoted automatically and Aberdeen were spared relegation. If Rovers had finished third, the playoffs would have happened.

6 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

The Premier League was being expanded to 12 teams, and there was supposed to be some form of play-off between Dunfermline, Falkirk (who finished 3rd) and Aberdeen who finished bottom of the Premier League. However, Brockville didn’t meet the stadium requirements so they promoted Dunfermline and Aberdeen avoided relegation.

Just now, Islay said:

The Premier League was being expanded to 12 teams, and there was supposed to be some form of play-off between Dunfermline, Falkirk (who finished 3rd) and Aberdeen who finished bottom of the Premier League. However, Brockville didn’t meet the stadium requirements so they promoted Dunfermline and Aberdeen avoided relegation.

Great minds think alike.

We are second in the league having played a lot of matches with a midfielder at centre half and on occasion a midfielder at right back. Imagine where we could have been if we had four actual defenders (no disrespect to folk like Brown, McGill, Mullen, Matthews etc who have filled in). 7 cup finals remaining. 

this has been one of the best seasons following my team in a long long time and when you think back to some of the horrendous times we have witnessed we have to make the most of this high. 

Believe!

SPFL Championship
Form Guide
Points Last Six

Airdrie 11
Raith Rovers 11
Dundee Utd 10
Dunfermline 10
Ayr Utd 9
Queens Park 7
Inverness CT 7
Partick Thistle 5
Morton 5
Arbroath 5

Interesting to see us creeping back up to the top of this form table. Shows how we’ve steadied the ship since January/February. Also reinforces how much the points are being spread around teams. We’re joint top with plenty of points to play for. We’ve lost five league games all season. We’re guaranteed a play-off if we don’t get above United. Time for Rovers fans to get behind the team and just enjoy it. 

The difference has been since we beat Dundee United, with the obvious exception of the Arbroath debacle is that we are a lot better in defense with the wingers really helping the full backs. 

We are grinding out results with disciplined performances, 3 clean sheets in a week would have been unheard of earlier in the season 

On 14/03/2024 at 23:20, Scottydog said:

I look upon him more as a poignant  irreverent reminder that there is a professional (ish) league (just) club to the east of Kirkcaldy.

Just like the club he follows he has his place, and both we and he know it......... and that is recognisably a few levels below us.

Which team is that again? Leven Royals?