The New Raith Rovers Thread

Fully expecting Ro Shan Bo to complain about the kind donation mascot prize up for grabs - 

“they didny dae that in the Crawley v MK Dons game last night, bairns shouldn’t the allowed in”

In danger of agreeing with the much vilified ro sham bo here but I thought other than the first 20 minutes last night when Airdrie looked very good and Partick's first goal of the match, that what was on show was very poor and lacking any real quality. The defending of cross balls was dreadful, I can see big Jack causing all sorts of problems if that's repeated in the next round. Both teams seemed to run out of steam and ideas in the second half. Hope that whoever we play that Murray sets us up to have a right go at them in both legs.

One thing about the game last night though is that Megwa was superb at keeping Fitzpatrick quiet and Murray should be using his Hibs links to get him in on loan next season if he isn't in their plans.

26 minutes ago, Starksdynamo said:

One thing about the game last night though is that Megwa was superb at keeping Fitzpatrick quiet and Murray should be using his Hibs links to get him in on loan next season if he isn't in their plans.

Pretty sure Fitzpatrick ended up on the right because of that

Thought I’d spy out the chat on here in anticipation of Fridays decider. Personally, I thought we looked the better and fitter side last night.

If partick do go through then you lot will absolutely run them riot with the pace you have. They’re a very immobile team and another 90+ minutes won’t do them any favours.

Can’t say you wouldn’t deserve to go up after a very special season but hopefully we pull it off 

1 hour ago, Starksdynamo said:

Aye. He's impressed me every time I've seen him. 

Hopefully he's on the radar.

1 hour ago, Starksdynamo said:

He was outstanding in the Jan league game we lost there. Would be a great loan signing for us.

Some interesting players being let go by Dundee United at the end of the season. Chalmers, Meekison, Mochrie and McMann would all be good squad additions to most of the Championship sides I think.

36 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Some interesting players being let go by Dundee United at the end of the season. Chalmers, Meekison, Mochrie and McMann would all be good squad additions to most of the Championship sides I think.

McMann would be a great signing, always impressed by him.

3 hours ago, RR #1 said:

In danger of agreeing with the much vilified ro sham bo here but I thought other than the first 20 minutes last night when Airdrie looked very good and Partick's first goal of the match, that what was on show was very poor and lacking any real quality. The defending of cross balls was dreadful, I can see big Jack causing all sorts of problems if that's repeated in the next round. Both teams seemed to run out of steam and ideas in the second half. Hope that whoever we play that Murray sets us up to have a right go at them in both legs.

I don't think anyone was arguing that the quality of football was high.  It was his suggestion that it was a poor game that baffled me (and I suspect others).  The poor defending led to plenty of chances which made it more entertaining in my opinion.  At no point did it ever occur to me to switch over to another game.  I didn't even know the result in the UCL semi until this morning.

41 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Agree that these guys will all have no issue getting a contract with a championship team for next season.  I suspect we'll be wating until we know what league we're in before making most of our new signings though so some other teams may get a head start on us.

McMann always looked a threat against us and liked to get forward - would be a great signing. 

But if the rumours regarding Stevenson are true then can’t see us signing two left backs of that calibre. 

26 minutes ago, RaithRyan said:

McMann always looked a threat against us and liked to get forward - would be a great signing. 

But if the rumours regarding Stevenson are true then can’t see us signing two left backs of that calibre. 

I’d take McMann over a 36yr old Stevenson any day

4 hours ago, Enigma said:

Always nice when us and Dunfermline are in for the same player these days, they inevitably end up down at Stark’s.

More appropriate to discuss here, I wonder if they pair of them could be convinced to come to Raith and bring their foundation under the Raith Rovers brand. Obviously not really I'm the catchment area you would typically be fishing in but could be a good way to spread their presumably not insignificant wages across 2 businesses, also should you get promoted you will need an academy asap.

I'd be pretty unsure about Stevenson. He has only started a handful of games this season in a poor Hibs side, will be 37 at the turn of the year and would imagine he'll be able to command a tidy wage given the interest in him. The best full-backs at this level are ones who are athletic, strong, able to get up and down the pitch but also deal with big strikers like Oakley, Todorov or Graham pulling onto the back post. I can't see Stevenson really doing any of that at this stage in his career which doesn't leave you with very much. We won't be in the market for him but even if we were he's one I'd be happy to leave and let someone else have.

I'd imagine McMann will end up back in the Championship and with Partick already having Milne you'd think Raith would be in pole position to sign him if they wanted and he'd be a far better option.

40 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'd be pretty unsure about Stevenson. He has only started a handful of games this season in a poor Hibs side, will be 37 at the turn of the year and would imagine he'll be able to command a tidy wage given the interest in him. The best full-backs at this level are ones who are athletic, strong, able to get up and down the pitch but also deal with big strikers like Oakley, Todorov or Graham pulling onto the back post. I can't see Stevenson really doing any of that at this stage in his career which doesn't leave you with very much. We won't be in the market for him but even if we were he's one I'd be happy to leave and let someone else have.

I'd imagine McMann will end up back in the Championship and with Partick already having Milne you'd think Raith would be in pole position to sign him if they wanted and he'd be a far better option.

Stevenson was a standout in the Lewis Vaughan testimonial. I know the game wasn’t played at a frantic pace but I reckon he’s still got plenty left in his legs to be a standout in a Raith team.

I think getting both Stevenson and Hanlon would be more appealing than Stevenson on his own given that we are in the market for 3 ‘starters’ in our back 4.

They would have an understanding on how each other plays and would bed into the side a lot better than 3 players who hadn’t played together before. Especially when big Kev isn’t the most commanding of his box/defence.