The New Raith Rovers Thread

Is it just a case that we're to slow in the build up getting bodies up the park and when we do the wrong option is taken, we're definately getting shots away just not clinical enough with them, would bringing in another striker (if there was one available) make a difference, I'm not sure it would tbh, maybe a fast winger might though .

Whatever happens, we have to lay down some kind of marker on Saturday against a team who will be in the same division as us

Edited by SirJimmyofNic

Part of it is a 4-2-3-1 with both Brown and Byrne in there - that tends to slow things down through the middle both in terms of how those two play together, and the fact it generally means one fewer body in front of them to play into.

Once Vaughan is fit again there will likely be a move back towards the 4-1-3-2 for at least some parts of the game that would force is to be more direct and to get the ball higher up, quicker.

Not the whole story by any means and I agree we are still missing a properly fast player who can keep a full back on the turn, but I do think the current "stuffier" shape has a role to play as well.

Fwiw, Callum Smith put in a really good forward's performance on Saturday, held it up well, drifted into channels where needed and scored. If that was his debut in a Rover shirt, folk would be waxing lyrical so hopefully we see more of that level of performance from him, without the tail off we saw last season.

34 minutes ago, renton said:

Part of it is a 4-2-3-1 with both Brown and Byrne in there - that tends to slow things down through the middle both in terms of how those two play together, and the fact it generally means one fewer body in front of them to play into.

Once Vaughan is fit again there will likely be a move back towards the 4-1-3-2 for at least some parts of the game that would force is to be more direct and to get the ball higher up, quicker.

Not the whole story by any means and I agree we are still missing a properly fast player who can keep a full back on the turn, but I do think the current "stuffier" shape has a role to play as well.

Fwiw, Callum Smith put in a really good forward's performance on Saturday, held it up well, drifted into channels where needed and scored. If that was his debut in a Rover shirt, folk would be waxing lyrical so hopefully we see more of that level of performance from him, without the tail off we saw last season.

I agree with you, I thought Smith was excellent on Saturday.

I think Murray is deliberately going to be stuffier this year and try and be more workmanlike in our attempts to win the league.

The problem in some of the games I've been too is the boring pass out from the back 15 passes later its back with Dabrowski or a centre half and we've gone nowhere in that time. Reminded me of McGlynns possession football. 

5 minutes ago, Raithie said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dapo_Mebude

This boy was in Gym64 today training with the rest of the players. 

Be interesting to see how fit he is after a pretty wild car accident in Belgium late last year. Looked a decent prospect prior to it anyway. Hopefully he's someone we can bring in if he fits in and looks up to it. Was on trial at Livingston earlier this summer

1 hour ago, renton said:

Not necessarily true. In that formation we should have at least one full back pushing on to create an extra body, or ideally one of the two midfielders going forward whilst the other sits. Its usually Brown who advances to be fair. I think this season we'll start to see more width and some different balls into the box, but we need someone or some people to take advantage of them. 

Edited by CountryBumpkin

2 hours ago, Raithie said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dapo_Mebude

This boy was in Gym64 today training with the rest of the players. 

Interesting one as he was training with Livingston earlier this month.  Don’t know much about the guy but says his club in Belgium went out of business and he was in a pretty bad car crash recently.  Guess he’s trying to stay fit and impress at this level, sure Murray will have a look at him. 

I'm astonished to hear Dapo Mebude is training for football again. That car accident was serious enough his life was in danger and there was talk of 'life changing injuries'. Delighted to hear it if he's looking at making a football return.

His big asset with us as a kid was his pace. I guess the question is can he still run at that sort of pace. If he can he'll be an asset. If not he'll have to try to change his game. He was good for us but he didnt particularly look a big scorer. He mostly played as a wide attacker. We had him on one side and Izzy Jones on the other with Connor Shields in the middle and for a period were unstoppable going forward. Then Jones did his hamstring and Mebude got his infamous Covid suspension and our season petered out.

3 hours ago, grumswall said:

Finally some rumours, keep up the good work.

Eta: he was a good young prospect on football manager a few years ago, get him signed up! 

Nice to have something to wet our knickers over, Tx will be all over this later fitting him in as an inverted full back or a hexagon shaped midfield 😂😂