The New Raith Rovers Thread

16 minutes ago, pub car king said:

It's a big ask to replace Stanton for anyone never mind a young lad who's never played league football. He has shown signs of quality though and would expect him to be loaned out on the coming weeks. 

We can’t afford to be loaning anyone out with the injuries we seem to have. 

A very tough watch. Fordyce looked well off the pace, far too many times he was caught under the ball and it let someone in. Can't get Hanlon and Murray back soon enough to put some pressure on him again. 

Mullin, I still don't know what sort of player he is. He's not a winger, that's obvious, but he's also neither a creative attacking player or a goal threat, outside of dead balls. Offers energy but that's it so far.

Smith was summed up in the last few mins, for all his good attributes, he swung a leg at the ball, missed it, it hit his other leg, got caught under his feet until he fell over and gave away a foul. 

However, it was far too flat today, too many sauntering around, no closing down, allowing Hamilton to play football, decent stuff as well until the final ball from them. Tumilty is still the same, poor defending but a threat going forward. 

Went golfing and by the sound of thing it was a wise choice, hell knows whats up about the injury situation but I suppose getting a draw with half a team is better than nowt. So far its cant score cant defend and it's not looking very bright for getting another couple of bodies in,  I hope were not in for a rude awakening and a bumpy ride this season

Frustrating. We were far better in the second half, but I didn't like the booing from some fans at the half time whistle. Fordyce seemed to struggle, and I'm concerned about his lack of pace. Easton and Mullin also fairly predictable in their play. Focusing on the positives, Gibson appears to have great potential (I'd like to see him start against Airdrie) and Dabrowski is showing signs that he's improving on his weaker areas (kicking in particular) from last season.

1 minute ago, RaithRovers1883 said:

Frustrating. We were far better in the second half, but I didn't like the booing from some fans at the half time whistle. Fordyce seemed to struggle, and I'm concerned about his lack of pace. Easton and Mullin also fairly predictable in their play. Focusing on the positives, Gibson appears to have great potential (I'd like to see him start against Airdrie) and Dabrowski is showing signs that he's improving on his weaker areas (kicking in particular) from last season.

Agree Gibson looks to have potential and I'd also start him against Airdrie, who know us inside out. Our problem will be that we're not used to having as direct a player as him in the final 3rd. Too often Easton will dance around, beat the same 2 men 3 times then lose possession (although he was unlucky with one today), or Connolly will cut in or pass back or Mullin will send in a decent cross and even if a) Jack is there, and b) wins the header, we've no-one following up.

Give Gibson a start, supply him plenty decent ball and let's see what he can do.

Not convinced yet by Fordyce or "stop and pass inside" Freeman. Plenty time.

Wasn’t great today, we seemed to be second to most balls for most of the afternoon. Their goal seemed to make them think it would be enough to win it, but the own goal give us an impetus along with Gibson coming on. Great saves from Kev to keep us in it, as well as the penalty save.
Speaking of goalkeepers, their keeper reacted a lot better than i would have at that own goal, i would have been absolutely tearing into the defender. 

11 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Agree Gibson looks to have potential and I'd also start him against Airdrie, who know us inside out. Our problem will be that we're not used to having as direct a player as him in the final 3rd. Too often Easton will dance around, beat the same 2 men 3 times then lose possession (although he was unlucky with one today), or Connolly will cut in or pass back or Mullin will send in a decent cross and even if a) Jack is there, and b) wins the header, we've no-one following up.

Give Gibson a start, supply him plenty decent ball and let's see what he can do.

Not convinced yet by Fordyce or "stop and pass inside" Freeman. Plenty time.

For me, Freeman is again suffering from solid options to pass into or to create some space down the touchline. Most times when he got the ball he had Mullin on the touchline facing him and no movement in midfield for him to create a one-two with or do much, his only out ball was backwards. Frankly i'd also prefer him to be the one sitting back a bit more, he has shown recovery pace a few times already.

13 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Too often Easton will dance around, beat the same 2 men 3 times then lose possession (although he was unlucky with one today)

As good a player as Easton is, he does try and do too much at times. 

He won’t say in public but I suspect Murray has used the League Cup as series of warm up matches. We haven’t got out of 1st gear in any of the matches. Which is fine as long as we beat Airdrie next week. 

The left side of Stevenson, Gibson and Easton is where we look dangerous. Gibson needs more game time for me, looks a player and so young too. 

As bad as a first half that was I’m not going to dwell on it as Brown / Stanton are probably the first two picks on the team sheet.

Said before though, we lack pace and are 1/2 players short for me to genuinely challenge for 1st based on what I’ve seen so far. 

Centre mid is so one paced. No urgency in there. Freeman I'm not convinced about but it doesn't help he has no fast outlet further up. Mullin again slow, never takes his man on and is very easy to read.