The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, CountryBumpkin said:

Where would we be getting the money to buy out his Saudi contract and ludicrous wages he'll be on in that ridiculous country?

The catering, surely?

No other way to look at it other than there's been one massive fall out here. For the board to try and claim otherwise is just hiding the truth.

Also anyone questioning recruitment that is down to the board. Murray even said time and time again that he'd identify players and that was it. His interview post match was definitely a go at the board. 

Martindale is another excellent candidate.  He knows Raiths business and has plenty of contacts. He could really help build the infrastructure, bring in new revenue and really take them to the next level. Not to be sniffed at

Just now, Airdrie76 said:

No offence to Raith but McCabe will go to a much bigger club. Taking a sideways step to a team not much better (no better?) where his estranged cousin is doesn’t sound very likely to me. 

I agree I don’t think he will come either , he would want an established top flight club like Motherwell etc , on the surface this is a strange decision but last 7 months hasn’t been good but timing is lousy . Tam courts a better shout than McCabe to us

Just now, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

100% agree. Too many with rose tinted glasses on, couldn't actually see how bad we were. I went home and away and it was a terrible watch. No clear plan other than Murrayball and it was never going to last... Although many thought it would. 

I wasn't happy at his appointment but I am at his dismissal, shame about how much it's going to cost due to stupidity in the 1st place. 

If you think watching Raith Rovers in the first half of last season was a "terrible watch", I'm genuinely unsure what your expectations are.  

Just now, CountryBumpkin said:

f**k, forgot about that. Good point, surely we could afford Messi as well on that budget 🤣

Courts likes a pie by the look of him, he’ll invest a lot of his wages back into the club, win win. 

Just now, Rugster said:

Courts likes a pie by the look of him, he’ll invest a lot of his wages back into the club, win win. 

It feels like an absolute money spinner when you put it like that. 

That is baffling timing. Things haven't been great though since we won at Tannadice before Christmas  and that's carried over into this season. I hope there's a cunning plan and we haven't just pushed the panic button.

6 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

No offence to Raith but McCabe will go to a much bigger club. Taking a sideways step to a team not much better (no better?) where his estranged cousin is doesn’t sound very likely to me. 

As much as I’d love this to be the case I am genuinely shitting myself that McCabe goes.

Theres no loyalty in football and if Raith offer a multi(-multi) year deal on a higher wage he’ll probably go. Plus he could slot in as a centre half at Raith and still play. And his lack of appropriate coaching badges isn’t an issue at this level. What more could he want?

5 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

As much as I’d love this to be the case I am genuinely shitting myself that McCabe goes.

Theres no loyalty in football and if Raith offer a multi(-multi) year deal on a higher wage he’ll probably go. Plus he could slot in as a centre half at Raith and still play. And his lack of appropriate coaching badges isn’t an issue at this level. What more could he want?

Don’t see it. Could Raith afford to pay his contract out? Would he want to make a sideways move for what wouldn’t be life changing money (if he wants a long term deal I’m sure he just needs to ask his current chairman btw)? He has the run of things at Airdrie, would he want to work with Potter? Would he want to go to a team of a similar standard where he can’t bring players in until eg Jan/next season given the particular style he plays? Would he want the hassle of dealing with Fordyce? But more importantly would he want to wreck his chance of a move to a Premier League club because that’s where he’s heading very shortly!

Edited by Airdrie76

I wouldn't be adverse to having tam courts TBH. Kevin thomson, no thanks. I doubt we'd go near jack ross, but you never know...

4 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

I guess it’s also true that if he gets promoted John Potter could be officially the manager with his badges. 

But I think he would be sensible to stick where he is. Going to be a hell of a fight to get out the league. It won’t be long until a top flight team offers a gig up there. 

1 minute ago, philpy said:

I wouldn't be adverse to having tam courts TBH. Kevin thomson, no thanks. I doubt we'd go near jack ross, but you never know...

Why, whats he done since he left Dundee United fot "bigger things" abroad? Sacked and drifted off to Saudi to take some of the sportswashing money?

1 hour ago, Dalgety Rover said:

Ach well, no really surprised. Probably the best decision based on how the season started.

Hope the club has a replacement lined up. 

Yeah I broadly agree with this. We've been pretty grim to watch for months. Surprised it's quite this early but could easily have seen this situation play out in a couple of months anyway. 

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

I wonder if there was a falling out after his post-match interview? I didn’t think there was anything hugely wrong with it but the stuff about players not being fit enough and something not being right was interesting.

You'd have to think so. It was very unusual for him to be as frank as that in an interview. 

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

Wonder if he's went on a wee verbal rampage after the game, the post match intervie was the type given by a manager who has reached "stuff this" point.

Get Fordyce in as player manager for the ultimate battle of the estranged cousins.

That would be an interesting switch in the dynamic of the matches with Airdrie.... 

48 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

That is a disgrace. Hope Raith go down.

It's unexpected, but not a disgrace. There's no chance we'd have been challenging for promotion under Murray this season. 

36 minutes ago, renton said:

The fact that Potter and Cameron are still there really does puncture the idea it was about results, or even recruitment. It can only have been a personal falling out.

It's fairly common for an assistant to hang around while a club looks for a replacement. Cameron will probably be away once we get the new manager in. 

27 minutes ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

This is where it all started going wrong. That was a ludicrous decision to give him a deal at that time. 

It was the length that was the problem really. Now we're faced with sizeable pay offs to both Murray and Cameron and I would criticise the board more for that than actually getting rid of them. 

9 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I do think that our league position and points tally was much more impressive than the actuality of the performances, and once those late 1 goal wins dried up we looked functional and competent, but not much more.  I also think that the summer recruitment and early indications from what we've seen so far haven't given any confidence that things have moved on.

That said, the timing is weird.  I did think Murrays interview was usually privkly yesterday, so can't help but wonder if there's been a falling out.

At least we won't be bringing everyone back for corners any more, I guess.

Agree with this. Something has definitely gone on to instigate such an early decision. I thought it was possible he might be in trouble if we were struggling after the first quarter, but not this quickly.