The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

I imagine she’s more clued up about it than anyone on this forum

In which case, I'd also imagine (hope) she's smart enough to not give anything away when asked on a national radio programme when the situation is still a hot topic.

I just wonder if they were after binning Murray from the get go. 

They would have kept him there because he's a decent manager who did OK in his first season with f**k all resources and managed to steady the ship. 

He then smashed all expectations last season the first half especially. So they can't get rid then. Due to this his stock likely rose within the game hence dishing out the contract so they can cash in should he get another job. 

Barrowman says that they've been unhappy since the turn of the year but by the sounds of things they've never spoken to Murray to give him a chance to rectify this. He says it's come to Murray as a massive shock, it also sounds like John Potter wasn't aware either which if I'm the director of football I want to be involved in this.

I really like Murray as a manager he gave you an honest assessment of how he saw things. There were issues with performances and how the team played of late but I just wonder how many external factors are involved. 

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think the early sacking also suggests this. When the first round of sackings happen in the Premiership he'll be a strong candidate so if Raith had waited and done the usual of waiting until October/November to sack Murray they'd possibly be too late so could be trying to get in early and ask the question.

Hopefully I'm just reading too far into it!

Cant see it being McCabe. If it is him he’s clearly indicated to someone he’d be willing to move.

4 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Nope. Do you discuss your career with your auntie? 

Yes, funnily enough a normal question to someone in your family is how's your job going.

32 minutes ago, RaithRyan said:

See I don’t necessarily think it is.

We create barely next to hee haw in games - and regularly see Jack Hamilton getting lamented in here, but as pointed out in the Oh No No No Podcast, how many chances a game does he actually get? It’s not like he’s missing sitter upon sitter every week.

There’s no real link up at times which suggests there’s a fundamental problem, and many times last season we were benefactors of moments of magic (Easton’s goal at Tannadice, Broony’s thunderbolt at Starks). 

We have more than enough creative type players in our team to be creating chances - in my opinion also, we don’t really have an identity or style of play and at times our response at going a goal behind is making x3 changes at once and hope one of the subs have a reaction. 

so with no real identity or way of wanting to play, how can you possibly get the best out of boys if your not playing a way suited to the tools you have in your locker.

Think this is spot on, our chance creation is really poor. What chances we do create are weak, half chances or individual moments of brilliance. Given some of the players we have, we don't get them in positions to cause problems. Either because we're too slow in our build up, decision making is poor in crucial moments or too many similar players all wanting to do the same role (Stanton, Vaughan, Easton all drifting into the 10 position, none of them attacking the box quickly). 

For me the movement and mobility of the side is unbalanced and that causes us problems going forward. Hopefully whoever comes in can change that, either with the team shape and line up, or by overall personnel changes. 

1 minute ago, AJ77 said:

Yes, funnily enough a normal question to someone in your family is how's your job going.

Job? Airdrie?

Just kidding. To be fair, its a fairly normal conversation every so often. I don't think there has been any discussion with McCabe so far, not to say there won't be but if I were him, i'd be pretty settled where I am right now.

If I was moving, i'd probably be asking for the club to be bringing Hancock, Wilson and Frizzell with me, they're key to the way McCabe sets up and really, only a Frizzell type (Easton, at a push) exists at the Rovers. 

3 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Job? Airdrie?

Just kidding. To be fair, its a fairly normal conversation every so often. I don't think there has been any discussion with McCabe so far, not to say there won't be but if I were him, i'd be pretty settled where I am right now.

If I was moving, i'd probably be asking for the club to be bringing Hancock, Wilson and Frizzell with me, they're key to the way McCabe sets up and really, only a Frizzell type (Easton, at a push) exists at the Rovers. 

I hear what your saying but no disrespect Hancock, Wilson and McCabe will all be looking to push higher than Raith. Hearts were looking at Hancock in January and we managed to convince him to sign on for an extra year.

Richard Gordon said there was rumours going around about Murray getting the boot last year, or words to that effect.

It won't be Mccabe, he will easily get a bottom 6 Premiership job.  I'm also not sure our squad is in any better shape than Airdrie,  in terms of balance etc.

48 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

It won't be Mccabe, he will easily get a bottom 6 Premiership job.  I'm also not sure our squad is in any better shape than Airdrie,  in terms of balance etc.

Pretty much this.

He has spent the past 6 weeks assembling what is pretty much entirely his own squad now for the 1st time in his tenure.  I doubt very much he’d want to move to inherit what is undoubtedly an ageing squad on mental 2 and 3 year deals.

We'd be crazy not to sound out McCabe, but if I'm him I'm looking at the current Rovers squad and thinking there's no chance of getting that team playing the way he wants them to without a couple of transfer windows.  

If he's wanting to get promoted this season he's got a much better chance with his current Airdrie squad than he would if he inherited the Rovers squad 

2 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Pretty much this.

He has spent the past 6 weeks assembling what is pretty much entirely his own squad now for the 1st time in his tenure.  I doubt very much he’d want to move to inherit what is undoubtedly an ageing squad on mental 2 and 3 year deals.

Think the carrot of 'here Rhys, we've still a substantial playing budget available to add your own players, anyone from Airdrie you want to bring with you?' will be dangled in his face. I don't doubt McCabe will be on the boards radar, whether he wants to come here or if we can afford to fork out more compo is another thing.

2 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

McCabe is unlikely to be coming to us but just imagine the fun we would have with Big Kev trying to play out from the back like Airdrie do.

I've had nightmares about it for 2 nights in a row since Murray left 🤣

10 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

McCabe is unlikely to be coming to us but just imagine the fun we would have with Big Kev trying to play out from the back like Airdrie do.

To be fair, Kev has been playing from the back this season already, we've started with short passes a lot more, especially with Fordyce in there to help and take the ball. He still looks like he's never had the ball at his feet sometimes though, but its a work in progress.

2 hours ago, Raith1234 said:

All I would say about McCabe is he would have more chance of promotion with Raith than Airdrie (no offence). His time will come in the premier league regardless of if he moves now or doesn’t. He’s also young enough to take a “sideward” step, fight for promotion, keep playing and move on to a hearts/ hibs/ Aberdeen in a couple years when he is retired from playing. 

I disagree with this. He has spent the last 2 years getting a lot of these players into a system that works for him. He has spent the summer bringing in players to suit this system. Why would he have a better chance of getting promoted at raith? Completely new club and new players. Some of them a lot older who may not fit his system. 

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Was Rhys teammates with Barrowman and Potter at Dunfermline.,..

Nah. Barrowman & Potter were originally together when McIntyre signed them both for the Premier League in 2011/12. Then we got relegated anad went into admin. Barrowman left although did offer to play for free but wasn't able to. Potter was kept on.

A year or two later Barrowman re-signs, this time Potter is co-manager with Neil McCann.

Potter and McCann leave and Barrowman doesn't get a new deal when Allan Johnston takes over and Rhys McCabe joins later in that season as we went on to win L1.

Edited by The Toun Clock