The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Do you think your fanbase would cope with such a change in fortune? 

Some were struggling to cope with narrow losses with no manager and five first team players out, so not them.

The sensible ones know we should have a fairly solid team when key players return to full fitness that is currently lacking firepower, which is the biggest factor putting us behind a few teams in the division right now. Can’t really see anyone in the squad hitting double figures in the league except Vaughan at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Raithfan2711 said:

Some were struggling to cope with narrow losses with no manager and five first team players out, so not them.

The sensible ones know we should have a fairly solid team when key players return to full fitness that is currently lacking firepower, which is the biggest factor putting us behind a few teams in the division right now. Can’t really see anyone in the squad hitting double figures in the league except Vaughan at the moment.

The exact same scenario as last season. only Vaughan hit double figures. My biggest fear is the drop off in crowd figures, its always fickle when teams aren't performing, I expect that we'll see a pretty hefty drop off the longer we sit lower in the league. I think the core fanbase will be fine, it'll be disappointing and probably puts more pressure on Barrowman given his bluster around league winning squad etc. But i've lived through the Anelka years, what we have now is night and day compared to that shite. 

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Do you think your fanbase would cope with such a change in fortune? 

Given the reaction to the Livi defeat from the three new season ticket holders who have started sitting next to me this season, then I’m going to say that quite a few of the new ones will not handle a bad season.

Watched the highlights to see the penalty incidents. Firstly brilliant package, I rarely watch especially after a defeat but the angles of the penalty kick moments are excellent.

Both went against Roves both fairly harsh decisions. You take them when you get them but universally feel hard done by when they don't fall for you. Add in the Livi game and decisions aren't helping.

Hopefully the defeat shows Collins exactly what's needed. Striker, right back and wider defensive cover. Our bench is weak and even with no injuries we are carrying players either too young to make an impact or trailing off in their capacity to change games. 

Recruitment over the summer seems to have been to do everything we can to get the Hibs duo then work off scraps thinking we would walk the league. 

Stevenson and Hanlon have been excellent but we are poor wide right and up top. 

Watching the highlights back for the second and third goals makes for pretty grim viewing. I don’t think we have the players for a back three. It’s such a difficult formation to play and leaves you susceptible to the ball in between the defender and the wing back and neither knows who should be where. Stevenson lost the runner and Dick was too slow to close down.

You look at Ayr United they have dowds and Oakley , Livingston had yengi , Partick have Brian Graham all put there self about and have that bit physicality we don’t have that , Even when Hamilton is match fit he doesn’t impose himself enough , 

54 minutes ago, basher brash said:

You look at Ayr United they have dowds and Oakley , Livingston had yengi , Partick have Brian Graham all put there self about and have that bit physicality we don’t have that , Even when Hamilton is match fit he doesn’t impose himself enough , 

I think Hamilton does a fair bit physically, where we lose out is we don’t get anyone close enough to him to benefit from knock downs etc. 

1 minute ago, Jilted John said:

I think Hamilton does a fair bit physically, where we lose out is we don’t get anyone close enough to him to benefit from knock downs etc. 

You'd think smart players like Vaughan and Easton being in position to pick those up would be planned. 

Murray played a 1 up front which towards the end was a fairly isolated position. It was either Hamilton or Rudden getting balls to chase. 

We seem to have some sort of 352 thing going on at the minute so maybe Hamilton and Vaughan will get a chance? 

Hamilton and Vaughan were starting to play well last season with Hamilton even starting to get some goals.  Murray then thought it was a great idea to bring Rudden in and rotate him and Hamilton and it led to a massive downturn in Hamilton's form.  

Badly in need of a prompt return of Fordyce Murray and Broon, I dont know what the prospects of further signings are but a proper RB and two frontmen wouldn't go amiss. Whatever has ailed us since January is still prevalent in the team for whatever reason , can only hope that Collins can turn it round

6 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

I agree Hamilton wins a lot and if we have two up top hopefully someone is there to benefit 

Hamilton seemed to thrive at Arbroath, but then again he had Nouble alongside him, unfortunately we've not got that luxury 

1 minute ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Badly in need of a prompt return of Fordyce Murray and Broon, I dont know what the prospects of further signings are but a proper RB and two frontmen wouldn't go amiss. Whatever has ailed us since January is still prevalent in the team for whatever reason , can only hope that Collins can turn it round

Ever since Brown came in he's been arguably our most important player.  We always look much weaker without him in the team.

Can't wait to watch long balls humped up to Hamilton for Vaughan to try and out muscle two defenders for with very little success. 

Watching Brian Graham when we played Partick, a lot of the balls to him were to his feet so he could lay it off, which he did well for the majority. Headed flick ons are a low percentage lottery where you have to beat the defender to the ball when they have the advantage every time and hope your flick on goes in remotely the direction of whoever is supporting. Ball into feet at least allows the striker a better chance of holding it up and getting an accurate pass off to a player in and around them. 

24 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Hamilton seemed to thrive at Arbroath, but then again he had Nouble alongside him, unfortunately we've not got that luxury 

Exactly this, a lot depends on the pairing, we may have to sign Joel Nouble or someone like him to get the best out of Jack Hamilton (unlikely)

Also, fairly sure, when interviewed last season Lewis Vaughan stated it wasn't really his game feeding off knock downs from high balls.

5 hours ago, Been going too long said:

Some will some won’t, we have been through much worse. If it was our full team I would be worried but we need to pick up points sooner rather than later

Bit late in the golf season to jack it in mate?

In strengthening the defence we have neglected the forward areas leaving us with little in the way of pace, power and directness. 

I don’t see this team competing with Ayr over the course of the season and we’ll be lucky to get top 4 in my opinion. 

Amazed Potter hasn’t come under any scrutiny for the signings/renewals as he gets along of credit for players signed but easy to point downwards when it isn’t working. I don’t like naming players negatively too much during the season but we are carrying a few for sure.