The New Raith Rovers Thread

Oh I was disillusioned then as well. You are clearly easily pleased then. The stats DO NOT LIE.

I'm still hoping that we can stay up, and believe we can. But this has to be one of the most disappointing seasons watching the club.

Where did I say I was pleased? I'm being a realist and not throwing in melodramatic comments amounting to this being as bad as watching a team of non-footballers wearing the shirt and causing us to be a national embarrassment (Anelka), or seeing Dalziel field a team with such talents as Steven Bonar, Mark Crilly and Paul McManus struggling in the lower reaches of Div 2.

I was far more disappointed then and also during the seasons under Hetherston and Jimmy Nic the second time around where we were spending £100k on a right back FFS and where did it get us? Not promoted and on the brink of bankruptcy. That was far worse. Those stats don't lie.

We were at the 'wrong' end of the Div 1 table for two of McGlynn's seasons here - and that was under an experienced coach who had had 4-6 years in management during that period. This is just Murray's second year as a boss and yet him essentially doing what McGlynn did at the club - and was rightly lauded for - is suddenly not good enough? Bollocks.

But this has to be one of the most disappointing seasons watching the club.

It feels that way at the moment, because we're still on this bad run and remain threatened by relegation, but as long as we stay up, I think we'll look back on this season as fairly positive. We've reached a (diddy) cup final which we may yet win, got to the last 8 of the Scottish Cup whilst beating Hibs in the process, and we did go fifteen games unbeaten earlier in the season.

It's entirely reliant on us staying clear of the play-offs, but I remain confident that we will.

I'm not so much disillusioned as just disappointed. The difference between now and the Anelka/Dalziel era is the current players are, in the most part (on paper, at least) a better calibre of player and should (again, on paper) be performing better than they are. We could all see the French mob/Dalziel's signings were shite and that was exactly what they delivered.

No-one ever believed we'd win the league, but we've went from title challengers to absolutely useless and hovering above the relegation places; it's no wonder people are disillusioned.

If we had a pile of dross, I could maybe accept it. The fact is we don't and the manager is failing abjectly with what he has at his disposal.

Both seasons under Murray we've started well then fallen away. Last season he got a raw deal as he didn't have a lot of time to prepare, and the results at the end of the season saw us finish strongly in 6th place, which was a good finishing position. I'm hoping this season is a mirror image.

The issue I have is that there's no vision for the club. This should come from the directors. Do the directors set the manager a target at the start if the season? If so, what was it this season?

What are we all about?

I didn't enjoy last season much at all. This season started well but the form since Christmas has sucked the life out it. Our poor form going jnto the Scottish Cup QF ruined that game for me and it's in danger of taking the shine off the diddy cup final day out.

Where did I say I was pleased? I'm being a realist and not throwing in melodramatic comments amounting to this being as bad as watching a team of non-footballers wearing the shirt and causing us to be a national embarrassment (Anelka), or seeing Dalziel field a team with such talents as Steven Bonar, Mark Crilly and Paul McManus struggling in the lower reaches of Div 2.

I was far more disappointed then and also during the seasons under Hetherston and Jimmy Nic the second time around where we were spending £100k on a right back FFS and where did it get us? Not promoted and on the brink of bankruptcy. That was far worse. Those stats don't lie.

We were at the 'wrong' end of the Div 1 table for two of McGlynn's seasons here - and that was under an experienced coach who had had 4-6 years in management during that period. This is just Murray's second year as a boss and yet him essentially doing what McGlynn did at the club - and was rightly lauded for - is suddenly not good enough? Bollocks.

As others have already pointed out. The players we have at out disposable are arguably better players in our first season in the First under Mglynn, and last seasons bunch. Yet we are still lingering around the bottom places.

If we weren't in the cup final, I think Murray would have been pushed. But we are, and he won't be.

Those seasons under Anelka were embarrassing but (again as others have already stated) we all knew the players we had were utter urine. Dalziel came in and got rid of the French dross, but he just didn't sign anyone of real calibre. He did sign Campbell though. His best signing.

Now we have been in the first for a few seasons, it's natural for the supporters to demand a little more from the players. And rightly so given the signings Murray got in the summer.

I'll be more relieved than pleased if we manage to stay up by the skin of our teeth this season. If we go down (win or lose the cup final) it will be easily one of the most disappointing seasons for a long, long time.

Also, the situations you mention, on the brink of going out if business, yes those were terrible times, and no one is denying those times were difficult. However now apparently we are on a solid financial footing, the club is in a much better position, yet the playing side is letting the fans down big style. That's why I'm quite

disillusioned actually.

Edited by Wardy

1 Win in 14 games against a Morton team who have won 3 all season and lets be honest we were lucky to take 3 points in that one. Yes we have had harder times and worse players which makes the current run even worse you could excuse it if we were on the brink of financial melt down or if we simply didn't have the players but we are not and we do. We are in a league with 3 part time clubs and 2 of them sit above us Murray should minimum of 7th and when you take into account the mess Morton are in 6th. I'm not surprised fans are low and disillusioned the current form is shocking for the players we have.

Your last point is keech. Mcglynn got the most out of limited players.

Murray has a talented squad and has had resource to bring in more people, and has them under performing woefully. He is failing miserably. 1 win in 14!!!!!!

Plus, in pretty sure we weren't below 2 part time teams under Mcglynn.

Edited by CALDERON

It's not the end of the season yet though. In McGlynn's final year we only secured survival on the second last day of the season against QOS. Any sort of run between now and May and we could be 5th or 6th and above the part-time teams, which seems to be some sort of benchmark. Yes, McGlynn got the most out of limited players which is what the likes of Ian Murray is doing at Dumbarton. It happens, teams punch above their weight.

McGlynn had six years to build his team and arguably didn't have as good a midfielder as we currently do in Kevin Moon. He even spent cash on Craig Winter. So, yes, he probably had more limited players but it was him who chose them and stuck with them. Murray's still trying to shape a team. It can't be done overnight, no matter whether you are Man City or the Rovers.

Some of the comments and claims on here and on Facebook are total pish.

We were doing well at the start of the season; it's only later on that things have went south. We are going backwards, not forwards.

As for Murray 'trying to shape a team', this would have credibility if he started badly this season and we weren't doing well as a result. The opposite is true - the problems started after a long unbeaten run was brought to a halt and we've never recovered.

As far as other teams punching above their weight goes, yes it happens. We, however, are punching below where I expect us to be, and this is down to nothing other than failure by the management. 1 win in 14, and counting.

Edited by Michael W

I've watched all the other teams in this league at some point this season and there is no way the rovs are in the bottom 3.

The last two away games have been against the top 2 in the league & although I wasn't at the Accies game (where we got beat by the last kick off the ball), against Dundee they more than held their own - they might even have won if they hadn't shat themselves in the last minute and actually thrown the corner into the box and battled for it rather than try and play keep ball in the corner and then promptly f**k it up.

This all tells me that we are underperforming - especially at home where we are shelling goals for (no)fun. I don't think putting a newbie 5'5" goalie in has helped. He has no prescence - he's too much of a short arse for a keeper & most of the games we have lost heavily have happened since he was parachuted into the sticks. Laidlaw was dropped after we hadn't SCORED in 6 league games - no exactly the keepers fault??

The problem now is everytime the opposition are in our last 3rd were quivering wrecks & having dwarfie in the sticks who is averaging -3.5goals a game ain't helping. We need to get a fuckin grip, roll up our sleeves and start defending from the front & work harder.

I've got tickets for 8 of my family for the final - I better see blood & snotters in spades or the easy season ticket renewal cash the club has had over the last 10 years is gonnae come to an abrupt halt. Getting a humiliating 6 or 7 nil humping a week come sunday aint gonnae be good.

grumpy

Of course the part time teams are a benchmark. If you finish below teams with much less resources than you its fucking massive failure.

Managers up and down the land get the boot and are branded clueless with much better form than ours.

When good players are underperforming that indicates a massive problem somewhere at our club. Failure to acknowledge that is just burying your head in the sand.

It's not the end of the season yet though. In McGlynn's final year we only secured survival on the second last day of the season against QOS. Any sort of run between now and May and we could be 5th or 6th

I think the point is that nobody is interested in watching a team that initially challenge, then pretty much disappear for the winter, then turn up in spring, where we all cross our fingers that they get enough points to avoid relegation.

I know it's not the end of the season yet, and we may very well finish in 6th or 7th. But the disastrous winter collapses have to stop.

In McGlynn's last season he had the good fortune of turning things around earlier. We looked a doomed team after the defeat from Dundee at New Year, then we signed Casa, picked up a bit and ended up winning 6, drawing 7 and only losing 4 of our remaining 17 games. We also had some great games during that run.

Edited by Scary Bear

My absolute wish is to be safe from relegation, and also for the management to be booted out of our club, the compensation might cripple us financially. But who gives a f**k, we can also free of those charlatans ruining this club. Replace the so called seasoned professionals and bring in talented part timers a la Dumbarton, Alloa players as they have more fight about than the shite we have just now. That is my dream.

My absolute wish is to be safe from relegation, and also for the management to be booted out of our club, the compensation might cripple us financially. But who gives a f**k, we can also free of those charlatans ruining this club. Replace the so called seasoned professionals and bring in talented part timers a la Dumbarton, Alloa players as they have more fight about than the shite we have just now. That is my dream.

Nothing like a bit of perspective!

Lee Robinson is no shorter than Dave McGurn. Again, there are plenty things to point the finger at without nonsense like that. I heard two guys at a game going on for 90 minutes on similar lines, as if Shaquille O'Neill would be the greatest goalkeeper in the world.

According to Wikipedia he is. McGurn is listed as 6'1" and Robinson is listed as 5'11". Not sure if that's true but Robinson doesn't have much 'presence', that's for sure.

Maybe we could have a Max Clifford stylie measuring to confirm or deny this at the next home game.

Edited by Scary Bear

Nothing like a bit of perspective!

Yes, yes it is. Tis merely a dream, unfortunately our spineless board will honour their contracts. I really don't want to witness that horror show next season. #praysforjj

:rolleyes:

Oh boy, oh boy!!!!!!!