The New Raith Rovers Thread

If there was a single green shoot of recovery I would back Murray but there simply isn't. We set up negatively AGAIN. We sat deep against a lower division team AGAIN. He has learned nothing from last season. The shape of the team does not suit the players he has but he won't change the shape of the team. He is clueless. High balls to Nade for 80% of the game. I think he won 2 headers all night. Play it to his feet though and we create chances. I don't want rid of Murray because of 1 or 2 results or because I dislike him. He needs to go because:

1) He has no tactical ability. He doesn't change the shape of the team or the personnel.

2) The football on show isn't good enough. I am rarely ever entertained.

3) His record of signing players is very suspect.

4) Even once loyal fans are staying away.

5) This team is no better than the Dalziel, Hetherston and (at a push) the Anelka teams.

6) I can't see any sign that he can fix it.

Edited by graeme_p

I'm sorry but anyone who doesn't think Murray is clueless and out of it after that shambolic performance last night is sadly as clueless as he is .... Make no mistake, i was one last season defending Murray against these "boo boys" so to speak, reminding them we had lost Watson & McGurn and our form dropped dramatically after that and that our start to the season had been the best in a long time !

But seriously, what the hell was that last night ? A simple continuation of the rubbish we ended last season with ... I'm surely not the only one who seen the CONSTANT attacks down the Pars right hand side, yet neither McKeown, Conroy or Murray who was 5 yards away from it seemed to notice and fix this in the first half ? That ladies and gentleman is a clueless coach.

There was no movement or passing, nobody taking the lead and playing by example, just a lot of dross standing still waiting on someone else to take the responsibility. P.S Long balls to Nades head didn't work in the first 45 minutes, so why would they work in the second ?

We seem to forget we where out played and lucky on Saturday, and in some respect where lucky last night to as Dunfermline should have had 4 or 5 if it wasn't for their lack of finishing and a few decent saves by Cuthbert.

The BOD & Murray have learned NOTHING from last season, we are playing with Murrays team now, which includes 3 SPL Promoted players, who all lit fires elsewhere and only 1 got pass-marks last night. And strength in depth ? Again, i cant be the only one to notice our bench last night was our Under 19s ? 2 games or 20 games into the season, Murray is as clueless as ever. He even said he thought we deserved a draw ? REALLY ? Shocking Rovers.

I think some people need their sleep. I'm not saying the points some are making aren't valid, because they are but people really need to chill out here.

I came away tonight pretty disappointed at the result, because we were all over the place tonight, and it did remind me of many a performance from last season. But it's on the SECOND competitive game for Christ sake? Aye we have been unconvincing, but we were unconvincing against a pish Stirling Albion side last season, which required a last minute winner. We also lost our season opener to Hamilton 0-1. Then went on an impressive run. Christ we were shite leading up to the Hibs game last season (didn't score in five games, 1 win in 10) and beat them.

Football is a funny, fickle game and at this level (including some teams in the lower leagues) teams can easily beat each other on their day.

Murray hasn't yet convinced me with the way he sets up the side, and tactically looks a bit out of his depth. That's a given. But chanting for him to get tae f**k was downright cringeworthy. Honestly. I hate being a football fan sometimes. Some utter morons go to games. Utterly embarrassing.

This was last seasons team that beat Morton 2-1 in our first win in what seemed like a decade:

Robinson, Thomson, Booth, Watson, Hill, Fox, Cardle, Moon, Anderson, Smith, Baird

Subs: Spence, Donaldson, Ellis, Mullen, Vaughan, Matthews, Laidlaw (GK)

Now there we were only really missing McGurn in terms of first choice.

First choice this season in terms of a squad of 18 anyway would be:

Cuthbert, Thomson, McKeown, Hill, Watson, Moon, Scott, Conroy, Anderson, Elliot, Nade

Subs: Barr, Fox, Stewart, Perry, Callachan, Vaughan, McGurn (GK)

Now on paper this seasons depth does look a lot stronger than the team we had out for that 2-1 victory against Morton. Never the less, if Murray still isint getting results with the line up I've put, then questions should be asked. I'll reserve my judgement for the mean time though.

The league games will shape our season, not the Petrofac Cup.

sorry,for me and based on the friendlies and cup games so far Mckeown,scott or conroy have not strengthened our squad quality wise,its given us another three players and thats it

the winning of the petrofac cup or the ramsden cup as it was last season shaped and saved murrys bacon quite frankly our form from the end of november last season should have seen murray punting at the end of the season

OD & Murray have learned NOTHING from last season, we are playing with Murrays team now, which includes 3 SPL Promoted players, who all lit fires elsewhere and only 1 got pass-marks last night. And strength in depth ? Again, i cant be the only one to notice our bench last night was our Under 19s ? 2 games or 20 games into the season, Murray is as clueless as ever. He even said he thought we deserved a draw ? REALLY ? Shocking Rovers.

we have a history of signing players who lit fires elsewhere who become rovered and flop

Edited by Rovers_Lad

Copied from the Dumbarton thread:

I really really hope last night was the cliche kick up the arse we're needing but I have my doubts. The performance last night was reminiscent, if not worse, than some of the performances towards the end of last season and we already know Murray's inability to turn things around. The league campaign isn't even underway yet and so far we're treading dangerously close to looking Morton'esque. Another major worry is the board seem to be right behind Murray, they'll be looking at this season being another one where survival is the main thing and progression isn't really factored in. There is a severe lack of ambition at the club and dare I say it some serious 'behind the scenes' issues that the players aren't performing to the level they are capable. We're again a team, on paper, that looks capable of competing but with a management team devoid of any managerial qualities.

We'll end up doing something mental like winning on Saturday...

Oh and for everyone that hounded Cardle for being to inconsistent and how they weren't bothered if he left I'd hazard a guess many would love to have a player like that in our current squad at the moment.

Oh and for everyone that hounded Cardle for being to inconsistent and how they weren't bothered if he left I'd hazard a guess many would love to have a player like that in our current squad at the moment.

Cardle was a big part of our form in the second half of last season.

Of course! He was Cup-tie Cardle after all and he put the Pars to the sword last season.

For Saturday's league game, not so much. That team last season were fucking awful and lost too many games. Some changes were required. Whether we have made the right changes is unclear. I have pretty much lost faith with Murray, so I have my doubts. I suppose we'll get an indication in the first few league games. Hopefully he proves me and all the other doubters wrong by having another good start to the season.

Murray in the Courier: we had a lot of chances and our goalkeeper didn't have any to make any outstanding saves. We lost to a great goal.

What he should've said: we were second best all night and allowed Dunfermline far too much time on the ball. The goal was a great strike but we got what we deserved. Only Cuthbert has come out of the game with any credit. That performance wasn't good enough and I've let the players know that in no uncertain terms.

Copied from the Dumbarton thread:

I really really hope last night was the cliche kick up the arse we're needing but I have my doubts. The performance last night was reminiscent, if not worse, than some of the performances towards the end of last season and we already know Murray's inability to turn things around. The league campaign isn't even underway yet and so far we're treading dangerously close to looking Morton'esque. Another major worry is the board seem to be right behind Murray, they'll be looking at this season being another one where survival is the main thing and progression isn't really factored in. There is a severe lack of ambition at the club and dare I say it some serious 'behind the scenes' issues that the players aren't performing to the level they are capable. We're again a team, on paper, that looks capable of competing but with a management team devoid of any managerial qualities.

We'll end up doing something mental like winning on Saturday...

The matter of strategic vision is another thing missing from our club. Who decides what the first teams goals are for the next 5 years? What are we aiming to be as a club? Are we just going to be Championship dross muddling about at the bottom until we are inevitably relegated, or do we have ambitions to challenge for promotion to the Premiership? If there are ambitions, how do we realise them? Do we have the right people in key positions?

Shouldn't the aims of the club be articulated to the fans?

For me, there is just no oomph about the Rovers, so it's hard to get too enthusiastic about them.

Murray in the Courier: we had a lot of chances and our goalkeeper didn't have any to make any outstanding saves. We lost to a great goal.

What he should've said: we were second best all night and allowed Dunfermline far too much time on the ball. The goal was a great strike but we got what we deserved. Only Cuthbert has come out of the game with any credit. That performance wasn't good enough and I've let the players know that in no uncertain terms.

This for me is why I have no faith in Murray, if he can't see there is something wrong how can he fix the problem. Second half of last season every game was just bad luck. He needs to see there is issues for him as the manager to address or the board need to show him the door. Yes we are only two games in but add on the second half of last season and it's not pretty.

Regardless of what happens now, the writing is on the wall for Murray ,the criticism is now just about universal across here and fantalk, and if that only counts for a section of the Rover support, it's still a statistically significant portion fo the fanbase, and the south stand reactions of late seem to support the idea that Murray has pretty much no support in the crowd.

It seems like even if Rovers did win on Saturday, and the next weekend, and the next.... patience has been worn so thin, that one bad result would have folk baying for his blood again.

Regardless of what happens now, the writing is on the wall for Murray ,the criticism is now just about universal across here and fantalk, and if that only counts for a section of the Rover support, it's still a statistically significant portion fo the fanbase, and the south stand reactions of late seem to support the idea that Murray has pretty much no support in the crowd.

It seems like even if Rovers did win on Saturday, and the next weekend, and the next.... patience has been worn so thin, that one bad result would have folk baying for his blood again.

I agree with this spot on. As i pointed out above, i was one for defending Murray in parts last season after we had a great start, lost 2 huge players and went on a horrendous run. I supported him in the hope that he would have a new season to learn from last year, learn what worked, what didn't work, what mistakes he made and even what positive changes he made whether that's via Subs, Starting XI or even in the training ground. He would have time to get in his players and play them his way ... After all, I just thought no way can someone not learn from this horrible run ...

But after being to all of our games this season (2 Cups and all Pre Season matches) it is clear to me he hasn't learned a single thing and we will have the same rubbish as last season with the same "make subs with 10 minutes to go", and the same "ohh there's something not working, ah but lets keep doing it anyway" type football and for me this signals change is needed and needed asap !

The writing probably is on the wall, but if he wins a few home games then at least the general bad mood around Stark's Park will lift a bit. I really can't be doing with another season like last one.

Didn't want to post too much last night incase it was seen as knee-jerk reactionism, so after sleeping on it, then considering it over breakfast I'd like to say:

That was fucking pish last night! Murray needs to get the f**k out our club! It may just be the Petrofac cup but we were the holders & to go out so weakly without a shot on target against a lower league team who bossed us off the park is an embarrassment, and that's before you mention the fact it was the Pars we were playing.

The writing probably is on the wall, but if he wins a few home games then at least the general bad mood around Stark's Park will lift a bit. I really can't be doing with another season like last one.

Can you imagine how awful the mood will be around the ground if we start badly on Saturday?

It's 100% shite that I'm apprehensive of a terrible atmosphere at the league opener rather than looking forward to the game itself.

That's fitba I suppose. Things will sort themselves out one way or another.

The matter of strategic vision is another thing missing from our club. Who decides what the first teams goals are for the next 5 years? What are we aiming to be as a club? Are we just going to be Championship dross muddling about at the bottom until we are inevitably relegated, or do we have ambitions to challenge for promotion to the Premiership? If there are ambitions, how do we realise them? Do we have the right people in key positions?

Shouldn't the aims of the club be articulated to the fans?

For me, there is just no oomph about the Rovers, so it's hard to get too enthusiastic about them.

Eric Drysdale stated on the meet the board thing on Raith TV that 5 year plans are a lot of Tosh and we only plan for one season at a time.

Can you imagine how awful the mood will be around the ground if we start badly on Saturday?

It's 100% shite that I'm apprehensive of a terrible atmosphere at the league opener rather than looking forward to the game itself.

That's fitba I suppose. Things will sort themselves out one way or another.

The second half of last season takes a bit of getting over. I'm not there yet. If it continues into the early part of this season I'll cry - inside, obviously, I'm not one of the last day of the season blubberers.

Look on the bright side, Andy. If we lose our first three or four games, we can look forward to another couple of panic signings. Gary Glen may make a long overdue trip to Stark's Park.

The only way to get smiles back on the faces at Stark's Park is to win a few games. Hopefully that starts on Saturday.

Going off topic slightly, but what has happened to McGurn? Not that I'm advocating that he should be replacing Cuthbert who has done pretty well, but has he had an injury setback, or is Laidlaw just getting a place on the bench with it being cup-ties?

Not sure about McGurn but I'm more worried about Moon. On the bench against Forfar but not in the squad at all last night.

FanTalk posters talking about a protest with fans staying back til about 17:15 to show their dissatisfaction. Probably won't happen mind you.