Who's Going To Uni?

1A for the group report, absolutely delighted. Expected any sort of 2 and would of been satisfied with it. Personal reflective piece wasn't the shabbiest either.

Fuckin hell. Fantastic. If ye turned up at the exam and wrote yir name youd probably still get a pass after that.

Fuckin hell. Fantastic. If ye turned up at the exam and wrote yir name youd probably still get a pass after that.

We took a major chance with our report. Linked most into PEST and didn't bother witrh some of seminar topics despite being told to stick it in. You boys started studying for exam yet?

Btw that Honours stuff I was on about yesterday. We dont need to worry about it until next semester as the only modules relevant are those at level 9 and above. Just need to concentrate on passing this sememster.

And also travel expense claims start on the 14th December for those of you keeping score at home.

To clarify at Edinburgh everthing is graded in % (far simpler IMO). I.e. in undergradute MA a 1st is 70%+ / 2:1 is 60%-70% / 2:2 is 50%-60% / 3rd is 40%-50%. Coursework is graded in % = degree. Pretty simple...

When doing coursework, 70%> and <40% are still set in bands of 10% to give idea of your achievement.

At postgrad MsC, 70%+ is Distinction / 50%-70% is standard Masters / 40%-50% Diploma. Again, simple.

Edited by HibeeJibee

:) was never not calm, mhak ;) . Anyway after recent weather, how can the fixture list calm me... :lol: !!

Can anyone explain how the system at Stirling (I think) works? All these 4Fs 2As 2Ds, are confusing me.

:lol:

Good stuff.

1A = 18/20 (1A* = 19, 1A** = 20)

1B = 17/20

1C = 16/20

2A = 15/20

2B = 14/20

2C = 13/20

2D = 12/20

2E = 11/20

2F = 10/20

3A = 9/20

3B = 8/20

3C = 7/20

4A = 6/20

4B = 5/20

4C = 4/20

5A = 3/20

5B = 2/20

5C = 1/20

Basically, anything beginning with a 1's a first, 2A-C is a 2/1, 2D-F is a 2/2, 3A-C is a pass (confusingly) and anything lower's a fail.

I still don't get how 7/20 could ever be a pass at anything, but never mind.

My marks so far have been 1C, 1B, 2A, 1B, 1A, 1C, 1A*. Still waiting on three pieces of coursework coming back, though. Don't understand how anyone could ever find semester one difficult, but maybe it's just the subjects that I've chosen. More likely, though, it's because I'm intelligent as f**k.

At Dundee, they used to work on percentages, with each honours classification falling into a range.

But then someone at Duncan of Jordanstone said "we can't apply a percentage to a painting. Oh no, we can only apply a number between 0 and 21". So they changed it.

A = 1st Class

B = 2:1

C = 2:2

D = 3rd

A1 = 21

A2 = 20

A3 = 19

B1 = 18

D3 = 10

MF = 9

Now if it's not as clear as mud already...

CF = 6

BF = 2

EF = 0

MF = Marginal Fail; CF = Clear Fail; BF = Bad Fail; EF = Epic Fail (OK, I made that last one up but you get the idea)

Quite what was wrong with 1,2,4,5,7 and 8 that they aren't used is anyone's guess. Maybe they aren't "arty numbers".

Edited by The Master

Haven't you previously posted about having attractive girls in your classes being one of the "perks" of helping in tutorials?

He's in Computing, he's lying.

+1

Glasgow's just A1-5, B1-3, C1-3, D1-3, E1-3, F1-3, G1-3, H (no credit)

I don't have a clue why some universities insist on this pish - it's probably so they can make it easier to fiddle grades if they have an especially dense or gifted cohort that year.

Strathclyde was far from perfect - but I liked the simple percentage rating we got!

I think the message is: when you need a degree to figure out what degree you're getting, then it's a fair bet the system is over-complex :rolleyes:

That 0-21 (with most of the single figures missed out) just looks crazy. And is it not probably easier to play a system ascribing arbitrary bands/letters than just %s...?

Edited by HibeeJibee

I don't have a clue why some universities insist on this pish - it's probably so they can make it easier to fiddle grades if they have an especially dense or gifted cohort that year.

Strathclyde was far from perfect - but I liked the simple percentage rating we got!

Percentage ratings aren't really appropriate for subjects like Law or the Arts though.