Nom Nom Nom

@Bairnardo

Had some chicken thighs marinading, so I banged them in the smoker for 45mins with hickory chips.

Excellent smoky flavour, and not as much excess smoke in the kitchen as I remembered. 8/10, would do again. That should me be down to about £5 per use of the smoker since purchase now!

Photo.jpg

8 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

@Bairnardo

Had some chicken thighs marinading, so I banged them in the smoker for 45mins with hickory chips.

Excellent smoky flavour, and not as much excess smoke in the kitchen as I remembered. 8/10, would do again. That should me be down to about £5 per use of the smoker since purchase now!

Photo.jpg

Superb. After smoking halloumi and veg on the bbq yesterday I am even more determined to get some kit for this. 

Genuinely think I am going to have to start selling food though. Between my learnings about bread, pasta, pizza, beer and potentially lots of smoked things I am either going to have to learn discipline or punt the excess

24 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Would Filo work the same as the proper spring roll sheets that you get in the Chinese supermarkets? 

Filo is a next best to the spring roll sheets, it's fiddly to work with as you need to keep it damp but should work.

Making chilli in the slow cooker, I hate chilli and thinks it’s an absolute shit show of a dinner.

Why are you making it?

Felt like a UN Peacekeeper asking my kids what they wanted for dinner earlier, only enough chicken nuggets for one, the other had to have either a burger and chips, or fish and chips. Naturally they both wanted chicken nuggets.

6 minutes ago, Adam said:

Why are you making it?

Felt like a UN Peacekeeper asking my kids what they wanted for dinner earlier, only enough chicken nuggets for one, the other had to have either a burger and chips, or fish and chips. Naturally they both wanted chicken nuggets.

Sounds fairly simple.

One has the burger, one has the fish, and you have the chicken nuggets to teach them a lesson.

9 minutes ago, Adam said:

Why are you making it?

The Mrs recommends dinners on the weekend and I sometimes agree to things I don’t really like and then remember how underwhelming they are when it comes close to dinner time.

On 25/04/2020 at 16:39, MixuFixit said:

Apologies if you've done any of these already.

Sticky chicken drumsticks/wings - mix ketchup, honey, salt, pepper in a bowl, smear it all over a bunch of drumsticks or whatever you have, wrap in foil, roast for 30 mins, unwrap foil, roast for another 10-15 mins.

Greek chicken and potatoes - parboil some potatoes, slice them up and layer an oven dish. If your kids will tolerate, add herbs like oregano, slices of lemon and olives. If not salt & pepper only. Roast for 40 mins with a pile of chicken on top, works really well with thighs as the fat from the thighs goes into the potatoes underneath and cooks them.

Ramen pots. Fry some pieces of chicken dipped in flour & leave to one side. Boil eggs (1/2 per person) for 7 minutes then set aside in a bowl of cold water. Add a chicken stock cube, dark soy, mirin, garlic, ginger (or some combination of these, it's not essential you do all of them: you could add miso instead of soy, or a glug of vinegar) & get it boiling again. Put in some noodles and some thinly sliced veg (carrots, courgettes through a peeler are good, pepper, spinach). Ladel some of the broth & noodles into a bowl & layer the top with the veg, chicken and a half egg. Add a bit of light soy, sliced spring onions etc on top.

Did a non olive version of the chicken and potato and it went down well.

Sounds fairly simple.
One has the burger, one has the fish, and you have the chicken nuggets to teach them a lesson.

The eldest chose the fish in the end, but was just going to do half and half if they kept arguing.

My girlfriend didn’t finish work until 6ish, so we are having a late dinner of chicken burgers from Aldi (these things are the tits if you’ve never had them) and chips.

The Mrs recommends dinners on the weekend and I sometimes agree to things I don’t really like and then remember how underwhelming they are when it comes close to dinner time.

That’s pretty terrible tbh, need to grow a backbone.

4 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Aye, that's the kind of thing I'd normally get but my local store doesn't stock it. 

Not so sure filo would be a good substitute, since it's rice flour in the spring roll sheets.

Why are you making it?

FFS negotiating and offering a choice when you don’t have the wherewithal to deliver the choices seems pretty dumb.