Snow!

xbl

6 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

I'd set out for work on foot when I got the text saying stay at home. I have a feeling we'll be asked to use our annual leave which given I set out for work doesn't seem entirely fair.

If they've actually told you not to come in surely they can't make you take annual leave? Totally unfair. Not your choice.

9 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

I'd set out for work on foot when I got the text saying stay at home. I have a feeling we'll be asked to use our annual leave which given I set out for work doesn't seem entirely fair.

If your place of work is closed your employer  is legally bound to pay you. 

Edited by jagfox99

If they've actually told you not to come in surely they can't make you take annual leave? Totally unfair. Not your choice.

I'm probably getting way ahead of myself to be fair.

In the past they have requested people take annual leave for 'snow days' but that's usually when a few flakes have fallen and folk basically couldn't be stars going for the bus rather than jump in the car.

This snow is a great social study. It rips away all the unnecessary crap in our lives until just the essentials are left. We're in survival mode. All that matters is access to booze, P&B, hummus and/or bacon rolls. 

I think if they try to compel you to take annual leave they have to give you twice the amount you are taking as advanced notice... so for a day off they would have to have let you know two working days ago. Unless the law is different in Scotland.

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I think if they try to compel you to take annual leave they have to give you twice the amount you are taking as advanced notice... so for a day off they would have to have let you know two working days ago. Unless the law is different in Scotland.

Best practice would be allow you to take flexi, work it back another time, unpaid leave or allow you to choose to take annual leave. However, in Scotland an employer can tell you when you are taking your annual leave.

Tell them to f**k off, open a can and put your feet up. Jobsworths ffs, EU HR law on your side here.

Best practice would be allow you to take flexi, work it back another time, unpaid leave or allow you to choose to take annual leave. However, in Scotland an employer can tell you when you are taking your annual leave.

That's shit. Just assumed Scotland would have more progressive laws than Tory England.

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

That's shit. Just assumed Scotland would have more progressive laws than Tory England.

Hang on I might be talking pish.

I had that in my head, but now Im checking out ACAS I think you might be correct.

Edited by invergowrie arab

I think the thing is that your employer is under no obligation to pay you for travel or weather disrupted missed days but so taking annual leave is the better of the two options there.

The complication is if you are ready and willing to work and the employer makes the decision to close.

I would go to work, touch the door and go home to keep yourself right.