Snow!

xbl

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I think if they try to compel you to take annual leave they have to give you twice the amount you are taking as advanced notice... so for a day off they would have to have let you know two working days ago. Unless the law is different in Scotland.

Best practice would be allow you to take flexi, work it back another time, unpaid leave or allow you to choose to take annual leave. However, in Scotland an employer can tell you when you are taking your annual leave.

I'd set out for work on foot when I got the text saying stay at home. I have a feeling we'll be asked to use our annual leave which given I set out for work doesn't seem entirely fair.
Tell them to f**k off, open a can and put your feet up. Jobsworths ffs, EU HR law on your side here.

Best practice would be allow you to take flexi, work it back another time, unpaid leave or allow you to choose to take annual leave. However, in Scotland an employer can tell you when you are taking your annual leave.

That's shit. Just assumed Scotland would have more progressive laws than Tory England.

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

That's shit. Just assumed Scotland would have more progressive laws than Tory England.

Hang on I might be talking pish.

I had that in my head, but now Im checking out ACAS I think you might be correct.

Edited by invergowrie arab

I think the thing is that your employer is under no obligation to pay you for travel or weather disrupted missed days but so taking annual leave is the better of the two options there.

The complication is if you are ready and willing to work and the employer makes the decision to close.

I would go to work, touch the door and go home to keep yourself right.

42 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Yeah, just back myself. Eight cans and some caramelized onion hummus. Was like an East German bakers with a bee batch of sawdust sausages and black bread in stock.

28 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

You're getting as bad as throbber for dropping stuff like this in.

Do keep up. I’m off to get some boozing and sledging done.

Some absolute cretin interviewed in the middle of the M80 jam for the One O'Clock News, who left Aberdeen at 4pm yesterday and became trapped heading back from Glasgow at 8, despite all warnings and clear advice not to fucking travel in the Central Belt. The archetypal idiot car driver whose sense of entitlement is currently drawing emergency service resources away from where they are needed in the community. 

I've got as much sympathy for his battle against hypothermia as for the German armies stuck outside Moscow in 1941. 

Edited by vikingTON

Regarding work, my understanding from my shop steward days is that if your employer decides to close then they will still have to pay you. If they remain open but you can't safely make it in, then they can't force you to use annual leave. You should have the option of taking it if you want but you should also be able to take it as authorised unpaid leave or come to an arrangement to work back the hours lost.