Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

15 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Or the Beaten Docket used to be the Glassblower then my tall pall Duncan ripped the G and L off one night from the sign so it was the Assblower for a few weeks. Halcyon days.

The County Hotel in Helensburgh used to suffer a similar fate, until they replaced their individual letters with a 1-piece printed sign instead.

7 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Birds in general are great (sit where you are Kenneth!). I always think of the morning singing as them shouting about the fact they are alive for another day. They are inspirational to us greetin' faced humans. Fighting every day just to eat and avoid being eaten but yet they sing their wee hearts out.

Just this morning I was outside having a coffee and a biscuit and the boldest wee sparrow ever came up to me. He actually jumped up about a metre from me and cheeped for a bit of biscuit, took it from my fingers and flew away. 

There seem to be a lot more sparrows (speugs) around my area this year. I wonder if lockdown had anything to do with it.

27 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

The major power move in Porty is to refer to pubs by their old names. For instance the Dalriada (Joppa but still) is referred to as the Temple by proper locals.

Or the Beaten Docket used to be the Glassblower then my tall pall Duncan ripped the G and L off one night from the sign so it was the Assblower for a few weeks. Halcyon days.

Someone nicked the big "E" from the illuminated  King Street Safeway's sign when I was in Aberdeen. Apparently it carried a big voltage so the presumed raver was lucky not to get zapped.

Somebody's nicked a couple of letters from the sign at the new Boroughmuir school but it seems quite a random selection.

Have any p&bers ever nicked letters off a sign and for what reason?

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Someone nicked the big "E" from the illuminated  King Street Safeway's sign when I was in Aberdeen. Apparently it carried a big voltage so the presumed raver was lucky not to get zapped.

Somebody's nicked a couple of letters from the sign at the new Boroughmuir school but it seems quite a random selection.

I once took a shopfront canopy (Regal cigarrettes) back to my student digs as a booze trophy. c***s in another flat thought they were the bees balls for having a flashing orange lantern. Showed them. 

It was probably insured so it would have been a victimless crime. 

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Not me, and it’s since been replaced with a single board sign but when it had individual letters screwed to the stonework (must be 15 years or more ago), The County Bar at Clackmannan Cross was regularly missing a single letter. Amused me at the time. Seemed appropriate. 

11 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Sorry to keep going on about Portobello but yes. There was a wee garden centre on the high street run by a few old duffers. We all got drunk one night and stole their hand painted sign which just hung on hooks jutting out into the street. We all crashed then woke at about 2 in the afternoon and realised what we'd done and felt mega guilty for probably making an old lady cry when she went to open up in the morning.

The sign was all faded and chipped but had been colourful once, a blue line saying flowers, a red one saying tomatoes etc. The guy whose house we crashed at was in art school and had loads of paint so we all set about restoring this sign back to its former glory. Then we thought we needed to send a note with it explaining ourselves but didn't want to get our handwriting matched by some imaginary policeman that would give any sort of f**k, so we did the whole cut the letters out magazines and glue them like kidnappers do in films from the 70s.

We waited till the next night and did this madcap spy caper dash across town, carrying the obvious big sign, waiting for cars to pass, then with a scout ahead of us to clear the way we ran across the road and hooked it back up and sellotaped the note to it. They must have thought psychopaths lived among them from then on.

Was this back in the Bob-a-Job days?

12 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Where the Indian is? Not sure I was Joppa end.

With all the hipsters etc moving in and gentrification you must be happy to know that throbber is there now to add a bit of the earthiness back in to the area. 

Not me, and it’s since been replaced with a single board sign but when it had individual letters screwed to the stonework (must be 15 years or more ago), The County Bar at Clackmannan Cross was regularly missing a single letter. Amused me at the time. Seemed appropriate. 

Someone I know..... knocked the G from Angus Kitchens sign in Montrose, amusing at the time.