Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

In retrospect all I wanted from my school careers adviser was for them to tell me what career involved the most money for the least amount of work.

I just wish they'd actively help children. All through high school all we were ever told was "get a trade" or if you were a female "people always need haircuts, have you considered hairdressing?". 

28 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Did you grow up wanting to pour concrete?

Worked a couple of summers labouring for brickies, scaffolders and sometimes with concrete pouring. At the real sharp end of the concrete lifestyle. Really enjoyed it. MM should get his hands dirty and try it.

1 minute ago, Mr. Alli said:

I just wish they'd actively help children. All through high school all we were ever told was "get a trade" or if you were a female "people always need haircuts, have you considered hairdressing?". 

Think I would have been good at hairdressing tbh.

Screenshot_20180523-163216.thumb.jpg.960a21cbde135d9bdea6ace63fd5172e.jpg

Just now, Mr. Alli said:

In retrospect, I think I could have done what I told my careers adviser I wanted to do. She just scoffed and said “that’s not a job”. My old man stopped me in my sporting ambitions too.  Try my best not to do that to my own kid and let her know she can have a go at whatever she wants.

I'm a bit like GHF but I've got a decent paying job but there's very little room to advance or properly learn stuff.
Pretty much worked myself into not getting promoted because i do more than most and do it well. Not a huge boast as most others don't care and don't want to advance.
Have looked into courses and progressing that way. Will lay it on the line at next appraisal and tell them that its that or I will leave as I need to progress and learn.
Their policy states this but they don't progress anyone apart from the slow or sooky workers into management.
A technical role might come up once every five years and no way they will remove me or the other five or so guys carrying the dept.
Long story short looking to progress in the next year and will leave if that's what it takes. Hard choice but necessary.

46 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

In retrospect, I think I could have done what I told my careers adviser I wanted to do. She just scoffed and said “that’s not a job”. My old man stopped me in my sporting ambitions too.  Try my best not to do that to my own kid and let her know she can have a go at whatever she wants.

The amount of boys I know who went and spent 4 years in an apprenticeship then a couple on sites and either jacked it due to always being in and out of work or they have to travel fair distances for the work is scary. A hell of a lot of work to just do the occasional homer now. 

4 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

There was an article I read the other day where young people were worrying that their "dream career" may be in tatters due to the pandemic.

"Dream career" :lol:

They might get a bit of a shock when they find everyone and their dug has a degree these days and the only job they can get is working in a call centre selling crap to folk who don't want it.

9 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

That's wild. I kid but we had pretty decent careers advice all things considered. I never did become an engineer but that's what they pushed me towards at least. They did recommend the most bimbo-ish popular girl become a hairdresser or air hostess which was quite funny like.

Air hostess- my 2nd favourite Busted song.

Also- we had an Airbnb stay last week with a lady down near Konstanz who is a long-flight Air Hostess. She works 4 flights a month, gets full salary and free travel within the whole Star Allianz group. 

Did everyone who went to school in the 90s do they thing where you filled out a questionnaire and fed it into a computer and it came back with your top twenty jobs? I remember getting interpreter back as well as journalist and technical author. One kid was annoyed because he wanted to be an offshore diver but was shit at school and a wee ned so got stuff like ‘binman’ and ‘labourer’.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

Did everyone who went to school in the 90s do they thing where you filled out a questionnaire and fed it into a computer and it came back with your top twenty jobs? I remember getting interpreter back as well as journalist and technical author. One kid was annoyed because he wanted to be an offshore diver but was shit at school and a wee ned so got stuff like ‘binman’ and ‘labourer’.

I did this and my top job was yacht designer, despite there being no mention of boats in the questions.

In hindsight, it seemed to go on forever, so maybe there were questions about absolutely everything else except boats and I displayed no interest in any of it.