Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

4 hours ago, cyderspaceman said:

I'm slightly worried that by the year's end, I will have no music heroes left.:(

Cohen's music is often regarded as depressive. I won't argue with that, much, considering one of my favourite songs is "Closing Time" from "The Future".

He always had brilliant female backing singers. I liked his music, he will be missed.

Depressive?

Back in the days of vinyl I had a girlfriend who had a couple of his LPs.

I always felt his stuff sounded better when played at 45rpm.

Just spotted the following amusing "telt!" in the Guardian's own letter page:-

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/nov/10/the-guardian-the-daily-mail-and-prince-harry

Your editorial (9 November) accepted without question the claims made in the statement by Prince Harry’s communications secretary, then used them as a vehicle to attack the tabloids, including the Mail, which, of course, is a middle-market paper with more than three times as many ABC1 readers as the Guardian.

This was disingenuous to say the least: the statement was clearly addressed to the media in general, and in particular social media. No section of the British press was singled out for criticism.

Indeed, as far as the Daily Mail is concerned, we have received no complaints from the palace and were not responsible for any of the alleged wrongdoings listed in your editorial.

Throughout the recent debate over section 40, which threatens the Guardian’s journalism just as much as the Daily Mail’s, the Guardian’s leader columns maintained a dumb silence.

Now the paper – which refused to join Ipso – has the presumption to tell Ipso how to conduct its business. Very rich when you submit to no independent regulation and, to use Sir Brian Leveson’s phrase, insist on “marking your own homework”.

You appear dismayed that the tabloid press, which is allegedly already in severe decline, was not finished off by Leveson. Psychotic hatred of popular newspapers aside, what right does a newspaper that lost more than £60m last year have to lecture those that are commercially viable and succeed by having their fingers on the pulse of public opinion?

May I humbly suggest that if the Guardian spent as much time examining its own deficiencies as it does obsessing about the Mail, it would be a much more readable paper. Why, it might even make a profit.

Alex Bannister
Managing editor, Daily Mail

The priceless part is right underneath it is the following begging letter all but confirming the Mail's claims on how fked the Guardian is:

Since you're here ...

…we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading the Guardian than ever but far fewer are paying for it. And advertising revenues across the media are falling fast. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. The Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too.

Fund our journalism and together we can keep the world informed.

Surely Private Eye will have a field day with this one? :lol:

12 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

What side is the Scotland game on tonight? I had assumed it would be on Sky like Scotland games usually are but I don't see it on the listings.

ITV/STV as they have the rights to England games

10 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I've just heard a guy die I think. I work on Gordon Street, heard a scream and then loads of sirens, turns out someone has jumped out a window on the 4th floor about 100 yards away.

Grim.

Died in the scud by all accounts. What a way to go, baws out metres away from a Blue Lagoon. R.I.P.

20 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I've just heard a guy die I think. I work on Gordon Street, heard a scream and then loads of sirens, turns out someone has jumped out a window on the 4th floor about 100 yards away.

Grim.

I had a Gordon Street coffee yesterday. Admittedly it was from their wee van at Queen St station rather than the main branch he fell into. But still, it could have me (he landed on).

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

To be fair, being killed by a falling, naked man would be some way to go! Especially if you inadvertently saved his life! emoji3.png

Would be better if it was a falling naked woman. IMO.

23 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Would be better if it was a falling naked woman. IMO.

Very chivalrous of you Biggie, if not a tad(ger) sexist. ;)

I suppose if you could choose your demise whilst saving someone who didn't want to be saved would be amusing whatever sex you got flattened by, I would hate it to be Donald Trump or anyone from Swansea tbh. 

Grimbo

Very chivalrous of you Biggie, if not a tad(ger) sexist. [emoji6]

I suppose if you could choose your demise whilst saving someone who didn't want to be saved would be amusing whatever sex you got flattened by, I would hate it to be Donald Trump or anyone from Swansea tbh. 

Grimbo

Why Swansea in particular? Out of all the places!