Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

11 hours ago, BFTD said:

Do they not still make those cheap players with a USB interface, designed for hooking up to a PC and converting tapes to digital formats?

They do, but on Amazon half of the reviews said they were utter crap which stopped working after only a couple of weeks.

21 minutes ago, GordonD said:

They do, but on Amazon half of the reviews said they were utter crap which stopped working after only a couple of weeks.

Sounds similar to the cheapy USB record players that apparently apply too much force to the stylus and gradually damage your records over time. Saw a study on them a while ago that found they virtually all used the same parts, no matter the price, and all had the same faults.

I sold a pretty nondescript DVD/VHS combi unit for about £300 before lockdown - I guess that explains why it went for so much!

Lads, seriously, why are we persisting with Flower of Scotland as our national anthem? It's a terrible song, completely uninspiring and it's never, ever sang in unison.

I challenge anyone to listen to Highland Cathedral and say this shouldn't be our new national anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj_3scEyVoI

Stick some lyrics about Edward Longshanks being a b*****d on it and we're sorted.

12 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

The Scotland rugby team used to come out of the tunnel to Highland Cathedral. It's fucking sensational.

Imagine a lone piper leading out the team at Wembley for the crunch Euros match playing Highland Cathedral. The hairs on the back of your neck stand up as the team marches into enemy territory, something stirring inside you as the bagpipes silence the stadium. This is war, and this is our war song.

Unfortunately England end up winning 3-0, but for the first few minutes, until Grant Hanley gave away the penalty, you were inspired. Anything was possible.

42 minutes ago, G51 said:

Lads, seriously, why are we persisting with Flower of Scotland as our national anthem? It's a terrible song, completely uninspiring and it's never, ever sang in unison.

I challenge anyone to listen to Highland Cathedral and say this shouldn't be our new national anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj_3scEyVoI

Stick some lyrics about Edward Longshanks being a b*****d on it and we're sorted.

An absolutely tremendous piece of music. 

2 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I often think about what wild animals I could batter, there's no situation that I lose to an Octopus. 

Batter an octopus and make Takoyaki.

34 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Had a very pleasant amble around the Royal Burgh this afternoon.  Looking forward to getting back into the pubs once they're open as great place for a pub crawl...

Screenshot_20210402-205527_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3f661e093e7be337e5fc31a99786bfed.jpg

State of it. All flooded an’ that...

Tis good for a pub crawl though.

Unpopular opinions for this pish but I don't particularly like Highland Cathedral.

It was written by two Germans in 1982 so not very traditional. 

Spain. San Marino, Bosnia and Kosovo have anthems with no words (probably not surprising the last two really) and we should emulate this to avoid the sight of thick sportsmen mumbling words they've forgotten.

For the record Max Bruch's variation of the traditional Hey Tutti Tattie (Scots Wa Hae) in his Scottish Fantasy is stirring and should be adopted without words.