Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Dunno the general consensus on here about him but was down at St James Park for Sam Fender this weekend and thought he was tremendous. Not been at a big stadium gig for a while and sound started a bit ropey, as they can do but as it went on it it got a lot better. Brought out Brian Johnson for a couple ac/dc covers too. 

Great night, a good atmosphere about the city as well. He seems a good lad too. 

On 02/06/2023 at 09:19, Craig fae the Vale said:

I've been trying to use an app called Concert Archives, but it keeps crashng when I try to sign in and their customer service is non-existent. AH well.

Try http://www.setlist.fm Won't have everything but its user driven so you can add gigs in. As the name suggests, its great for set lists too.

On 03/06/2023 at 09:29, marty_j said:

what’s the script with this section here ? I noticed on on tv at download etc

seems a pile of shit if general tix have to stand behind here - can’t recall pricier tickets for this area .

Quite common at big gigs sadly, usually for a higher price though. A good tactic, if you get tickets in there and don't like/can't handle the lack of space, is go to the back of that front section. Loads of space and you're still in front of most of the crowd. Being at the front of the second section isn't as good as you'd hope, as you'll have a line of security in your face the other side of the barrier.

On 04/06/2023 at 15:40, pozbaird said:

… what is it with the kunts at gigs who just loudly talk to each other throughout the entire set? 

Incredibly irritating, and seems to be happening more and more, including at quieter gigs as you and others have mentioned. Almost without fail, these will be the same people taking selfies and posting to instagram & facebook, it seems to be more important to show people what they are doing than to actually enjoy what they are doing.

Absolutely baffles me with the price of tickets these days that people will pay that money and make the effort to get to a gig, and then spend most of the time ignoring the gig, probably waiting for that one tune they know.

On 06/06/2023 at 15:26, betting competition said:

Nothing worse than someone speaking through a gig! I remember a gig in 2000 which had Sigur Ros/Godspeed you Black Emperor at the Lemon Tree in Aberdeen

I was at the Glasgow equivalent of this gig, great night!

Edited by DG.Roma

1 hour ago, DG.Roma said:

Try http://www.setlist.fm Won't have everything but its user driven so you can add gigs in. As the name suggests, its great for set lists too.

I do like setlist.fm, really good website. 

I've got Concert Archives working on browser, which is doing me just fine for now and hopefully the app gets an update soon.

On 05/06/2023 at 23:18, Craig fae the Vale said:

Triptides at Broadcast in Glasgow tonight.

Triptides look and sound like they came out of 1970s Los Angeles. They are in fact from modern day LA and what a band they are. Psychedelic rock at it's absolute best. A bloody fantastic show.

Support was from local female fronted garage punks L-Plate and another local band, modern shoegaze merchants Swiss Portrait. Both very good.

3 good bands for £11. Not much better ways to spend a Monday night. Great beer selection in Broadcast as well.

Also, for anyone interested, they have released some extra standing tickets for Iron Maiden at the Hydro in a few weeks. It was showing as sold out until this morning, so if anyone missed out, you can get in quickly and snap them up like I did.

20230605_220146.jpg

Saw a UK band in Birmingham recently called The Crystal Teardrop, if you like Triptides you might like them too.  Kinda late 60s/early 70s Psychedelia and they also looked the part.  Spoke to one of them after it and think they only have one single out but recording album at the moment.  

Was on the fence about going to The Hu next week, seen them a couple times before and a bit skint this month, but my girlfriend won meet & greet tickets via the Bandsintown website so now I'm going 😂 never done a meet & greet or VIP tickets for anyone before, so no idea what to expect. I doubt they'll be much chat as well, although after a couple of pints in the sun before the gig my Mongolian might be as good as theirs. 

Booked a few gigs over the last week or 2:

Pulp (Eventim Apollo - London) - 28th July
PJ Harvey (Barrowlands) - 25th September
King Krule (Barrowlands) - 6th October
Peter Hook & the light (Eventim Apollo - London) - 14th October
The Murder Capital (Le Grand Mix - Lille) - 16th October
Baxter Dury (Roundhouse - London) - 18th October
Bar Italia (Room 2) - 4th November

Few gigs taking in watching Aberdeen and Scotland. 

Edited by betting competition

22 hours ago, Dave said:

Was on the fence about going to The Hu next week, seen them a couple times before and a bit skint this month, but my girlfriend won meet & greet tickets via the Bandsintown website so now I'm going 😂 never done a meet & greet or VIP tickets for anyone before, so no idea what to expect. I doubt they'll be much chat as well, although after a couple of pints in the sun before the gig my Mongolian might be as good as theirs. 

I'll be there. The gig, not the meet & greet. Not sure how much English they speak, so could be interesting for you. Curious to know how big they are, they all looked massive on stage at SWG3. Speaking of that gig, I wasn't impressed by the sound at all. Backline was fine but the traditional instruments were lost, as were some of the vocals. Either it wasn't their own engineer, or if it was, he struggled with the venue. Would be interested if you could find this out - probably more chance of tech crew speaking English than the band members. Either way, I'm hoping the sound will be much better at the Academy and am looking forward to it.

On 02/06/2023 at 09:32, pozbaird said:

Originally, as a spotty herbert youth, I stuck them on my bedroom wall beside the posters of Rush and Led Zep’ etc.

First ten or so of mine I had posters on my bedroom wall and the ticket was in the corner, so now they're all visibly faded due to being exposed to room temperature/humidity, and have a pin hole in the corner lol. I have pictures of all of them in an album on facebook, might stick a few up later.

They mid-crowd barriers can be a few reasons. For some its a "golden circle" where you pay VIP prices to get closer. For Download (when I went in 2008!!) and at Green Day in Bellahouston it was to break up the crowd, and those on the inside are first come first served. I'm sure someone mentioned they didn't have any, but as someone who cued from 9am and got to the barrier in front of the runway and was given a pick from security - there WAS a mid-crowd barrier like that because I sprinted round it lol.

Anyway, not been on due to internet and travelling issues. Hot Milk are headlining SWG3 (18th November), Nekrogoblikon are playing The Cathouse and Lesbian Bed Death are playing Ivory Blacks (15th & 13th September respectively) and BMTH are headlining the Hydro on the 14th of January.

But all that is to come. Last night (Friday) I was at The O2 Arena (Millennium dome) [not impressed, hate it] in London [good for a flying visit, would hate it if I was there for more than 3 days], for TENACIOUS FUCKIN D!!! [very impressed, love them, amazing, brilliant, insert favourite superlative here]. A new venue and a white whale tagged off my bucket list. Pics getting sorted but if I may be so bold as to present my own video ((like and subscribe guys! hit that bell so you get notifications! /sarcasm )) here is not the greatest song in the world...