Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Going to see They Might Be Giants supported by BMX Bandits tomorrow night in Glasgow.

Saw TMBG last time they were in Scotland through in Edinburgh and they were excellent

I'm ridiculously excited for this! I haven't seen the Giants live yet even though they're my favourite band by miles, missed the Edinburgh gig last time unfortunately. Hoping for some John Henry songs getting an airing.

Saw A Mote Of Dust and Lizabeth Russo in the Society's Advocate Library in Aberdeen last night of all places. Incredible atmosphere in a room of about 50, utterly jawdropping.

Nothing else planned until Explosions In The Sky at Barras.

They Might Be Giants at the top of their game last night, with the Dans in pretty manic mode along with Flansburgh getting more barking mad the older he gets. Linnell as ever being the "sensible" one amid all the lunacy. The part where Flansburgh trousered the guy in the crowd's mobile phone was hilarious. Glad to see the best of the new album "Glean" got aired, especially "Answer", but surprised "Boss Of Me" appears to have been dropped. Still, can't go wrong with "Birdhouse In Your Soul" and "Fingertips".

They were clearly very taken aback by the crowd size (they kept going on about it throughout the show), even though I can't remember a single TMBG gig which wasn't full, but judging by the numbers queuing to buy tickets at the door compared to the numbers inside that had bought in advance, they probably feared a mass no-show due to the storm, rather than people being just too lazy to walk up all those stairs to the concert hall to get their tickets days and weeks before.

The support band BMX Bandits? The most interesting thing about them was the giant mole on that girl's inside leg & the lead singer's off colour banana. Surely Bis would have made a more appropriate support choice considering the other nutcases that have been TMBG supports down the years?

TMBG were superb last night. I'd tried to prepare my fiancee for the experience, something along the lines of they're an acquired taste and a wee bit weird. No worries though as she was mightily impressed by their numerous catchy tunes and on stage banter.

The new songs stood up well, Answer and Music Jail, but for me the highlights were Your racist friend, Twisting, Meet James Ensor and James K Polk

Can only agree that the Giants were fucking superb, by far my favourite gig ever. The band were excellent, Flans is a natural showman and IMO there's no better songwriter in the world than John Linnell. Pleasantly surprised by the amount of Apollo 18 songs featured too, Statue, Fingertips and Turn Around were highlights for me.

Little bit bittersweet though since they're taking most of 2016 and 2017 off, can only hope they'll be back in Scotland relatively soon.

Edited by Gareth_Glasgow

Ended up getting a last minute ticket for the Bert Jansch tribute last night. Would highly recommend going to see it at the Concert Hall tonight. Robert Plant and Graham Coxon were great but star of the show was a guy called Ryley Walker who was just unreal.

Just noticed that Foals are playing at the Hydro next Friday and all standing tickets are sold out. Had no idea they'd gotten so big.

Anyway, going to see Cage the Elephant at the QMU 2 weeks tomorrow. Not sure what to expect as I've only heard their first album

.Stuart., on 01 Feb 2016 - 20:37, said:

Just noticed that Foals are playing at the Hydro next Friday and all standing tickets are sold out. Had no idea they'd gotten so big.

Aye. They're headlining Reading and Leeds as well. Well, co-headlining with Disclosure, which is a bit harsh on Foals since they're easily big enough to do it on their own, while Disclosure were practically giving away tickets to their own arena tour in the end.