Unpopular opinions.

As someone who has had varying level of depressive states, needed counselling for body dysmorphia and has been on SSRIs for the past 15 years, I do think there is a tendency to shout down anybody who suggests people sometimes need to help themselves... and this isn't a good thing. I HATE the phrase "it's okay to not be okay" because, whilst I see what it's trying to say, it can also be taken as nothing really can help. We don't say that to asthma sufferers and let them get on with having cigarettes, whereas no-one seems to think anything of people with anxiety drinking as much coffee as they want. 

5 hours ago, The Holiday Song said:

As someone who has had varying level of depressive states, needed counselling for body dysmorphia and has been on SSRIs for the past 15 years, I do think there is a tendency to shout down anybody who suggests people sometimes need to help themselves... and this isn't a good thing. I HATE the phrase "it's okay to not be okay" because, whilst I see what it's trying to say, it can also be taken as nothing really can help. We don't say that to asthma sufferers and let them get on with having cigarettes, whereas no-one seems to think anything of people with anxiety drinking as much coffee as they want. 

That's a poor comparison tbf. Asthma doesn't affect your level of motivation or desire to live in any comparable way with depression. Asthma sufferers generally don't step in front of moving trains.

I get your point that people suffering with depression need to be encouraged to look after themselves but that's not the discussion we were having here. AUFC was claiming that people don't become overweight because they're depressed. 

22 hours ago, GordonS said:

That's ignorant AF and incredibly harmful to those suffering from mental illness. People with depression usually do think it's their own fault anyway, which is part of why they don't care or they hate themselves. Reinforcing that point will causes suicides.

Listen to people with experience of it and not self-promoting roasters.

14 hours ago, The Holiday Song said:

9 hours ago, GordonS said:

That's a poor comparison tbf. Asthma doesn't affect your level of motivation or desire to live in any comparable way with depression. Asthma sufferers generally don't step in front of moving trains.

I get your point that people suffering with depression need to be encouraged to look after themselves but that's not the discussion we were having here. AUFC was claiming that people don't become overweight because they're depressed. 

Turns out that Gormless Gordon's insistence that we must listen to people with experience of the issue only applies if their thoughts match up with his own exercise in look at me self-righteousness. 

Yep. I'm absolutely definitely never posting on the depression thread. I've prevaricated a few times but I've definitely made the right choice.

Why not? If you are struggling then it would help you

On 26/06/2021 at 12:47, GordonS said:

Yep. I'm absolutely definitely never posting on the depression thread. I've prevaricated a few times but I've definitely made the right choice.

So you keep saying mate.  You've been told frequently that the depression thread is a hive of guidcuntery and is a great place for support. Seriously, I've seen erstwhile arsehole posters show themselves to be deeply compassionate on that thread. If you want to keep up this victim story though, go right ahead. 

I do think getting through depression is only really possible through taking ownership of it, whether that means going through some really deep therapy to figure out the story you're unconsciously re-creating, doing a course of CBT where you choose to think differently about your life, or cutting out the things that are definitely negatively altering our mood (booze, television or shitty pals). 

Obviously it's not as simple as just going for a run. It's an existential condition that needs to be treated holistically. I don't like the term "disease" as it tends to focus on the physical aspects of it, or the chemical imbalances, as if they just happen and are the cause of all the other symptoms. I like Gabor Mate's thoughts on it, and those of Marion Woodman (Jungian Analyst) who said that it was unexpressed grief. We fail to mourn a loss and we become stuck in depression. I know it's simplified but it's late and I'm tired. 

Take care of yourselves a'body.

Oh, and my unpopular opinion is that Doric is the greatest form of Scots.

On 25/06/2021 at 10:14, Funky Nosejob said:

Comedian John Finnemore’s take on it…

Hide contents

Depression

Man: “Alright Sam. Haven’t seen you around for a bit, how’ve you been?”
Sam: “Yeah. Yeah ok not too bad.”
Man: “Ah as good as that?”
Sam: “Well... it’s alright, I’ve just been a bit depressed recently.”
Man: “Yeah I get sad sometimes.”
Sam: “It’s not- well I mean I’ve been suffering from depression.“
Man: “Yeah that’s what I get. Often what it turns out is I’m hungry.”
Sam: “Yeah?”
Man: “Yeah, yeah Denise will spot it. She’ll go ‘god you’ve got a face like a slapped arse have a banana’. And you know, she’s right, cheers me right up. Have you tried that?”
Sam: “Having a banana?”
Man: “Or whatever.”
Sam: “No.”
Man: “Give it a go. Oh and I’ll tell you the other thing, eh, go for a run.”
Sam: “You do that, do you?”
Man: “No I never get sad enough to bother. But you know I definitely heard it makes you happier. It’s like a known scientific thing. It’s got a name, it’s eh jogger’s eh, jogger’s, I want to say nipple.”
Sam: “Jogger’s high?”
Man: “That’s right yeah! Yeah releases the dolphins in the system or something.”
Sam: “Releases the dolphins?”
Man: “Yeah I think so. Don’t know why they call it that. I suppose it’s because dolphins are always smiling, aren’t they.”
Sam: “Yeah. Yeah they are. So your advice is next time I feel the depression sinking over me, go for a run to the chip shop.”
Man: “Yeah! Good thinking! Double whammy! You’ll cheer right up!”
(beep beep – beep beep)
Man: “Oh yeah well looks like that’s the end of the session so eh same time next week?”

I think I prefer Pagliacci's visit to the doctors

31 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I'm not a huge fan of pubs that actively encourage people to bring dogs, I want a pint in peace and no have a chiwawa running around.

Child friendly pubs can also be added to this list 

A fine line, as I'm quite partial to the sort of pub with tables that have a copy of the Racing Post on top and a retired collie (often with a heterochromian death-stare that suggests they'll genuinely f*** you up if you mess with them) underneath. 

Edited by Hedgecutter

6 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

A fine line, as I'm quite partial to the sort of pub with tables that have a copy of the Racing Post on top and a retired collie (often with a heterochromian death-stare that suggests they'll genuinely f*** you up if you mess with them) underneath. 

See, that I don't mind in fairness. A wee dog who has it's own seat,  minds it's own business , I could deal with. Arseholes who think they can let their shitty wee dog/child run around is a different thing entirely 

Edited by Bert Raccoon

I'm not a huge fan of pubs that actively encourage people to bring dogs, I want a pint in peace and no have a chiwawa running around.
Child friendly pubs can also be added to this list 
Owners of chihuahuas shouldnt really be in pubs anyway. Guaranteed fancy coffee/cocktail orderers.

A well behaved Golden Retriever sitting waiting on its owner to finish his half and a half before toddling off home is fine.

Any dog that runs around in a pub in any way should be removed.

Meh, if it's a no dog policy it's more likely to be of the Weatherspoons variety; a soulless pit.

I don't think the issue is with places allowing dogs/kids here, it's folk who fail to control either/think just because these places allow their pet or children that it gives them a right to let them run free. It isn't.

My first trip to the pub (beer garden) this year was spoiled by my friend's girlfriend and her mum bringing their dog. I spent most of the night embarrassed and staring into the abyss as it kept escaping its leash and running around the beer garden, managed to wrap itself around my chair, tried to eat our pizza and ate the biscuits that its owners had inadvertently dropped all over the floor.

Suppose it's all down to the type of dog I suppose, like my learned friend @Bairnardo points out, a decent dog like a labrador who sits quietly enjoying it's bowl of water while  it's owner enjoys a pint is fine, wee arsehole dogs who don't appreciate the pub and it's rules however are not welcome