Unpopular opinions.

34 minutes ago, velo army said:

As a quasi-weegie living up here this is absolutely on the money. A lot of the "aberdonians are dour" chat comes from Glaswegians who massively buy into their own "whit we like?" self-aggrandising mythology. 

I've never found the denizens of this fine city to be anything other than warm and friendly. 

Also, and I can't say this enough. I love that there's none of the bigotry pish up here. It took me a while to decompress after living in EK/Glasgow for 30 years but it's a breath of (admittedly very cold) fresh air.

Although, to be fair, that might be because you can't understand a word they're saying 🤔.

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Although, to be fair, that might be because you can't understand a word they're saying 🤔.

That was me for the first year. Recently I had a client (who also wasn't the clearest speaker) ask me when my bins go out. Took four goes of "fins yer bucket day" for me to figure out what the f**k he was saying (a few phases of play had also developed since the bin conversation so was surprised that it got pulled back).

Just now, Jives Miguel said:

I think Scots on the whole are very friendly and personable to outsiders or newcomers, but are still quite a bitter and cynical people. I feel there is a bit of a crab mentality to a lot of people in this country.

Higher instances of folk committing sideyways?

14 minutes ago, velo army said:

That was me for the first year. Recently I had a client (who also wasn't the clearest speaker) ask me when my bins go out. Took four goes of "fins yer bucket day" for me to figure out what the f**k he was saying (a few phases of play had also developed since the bin conversation so was surprised that it got pulled back).

There was something about a conversation in a shoe shop.. "fit fit fits fit fit?" 

Or something like that...

2 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

There was something about a conversation in a shoe shop.. "fit fit fits fit fit?" 

Or something like that...

Sounds like someone getting shot by a silenced gun.

On 15/03/2024 at 12:33, 10menwent2mow said:

Aberdeen is a great city and a wonderful place to live. 

I’m still seen as an outsider even though I’ve lived in Aberdeen for almost exactly 40 years. However, I generally agree that it’s a much better city than its reputation suggests. Particularly in regard to quality of life and bringing up kids.

We live in a nice part of town but my teenage boys have girlfriends/pals from all over the city and they’ve never had any bother.

It’s far from perfect but I can’t think of a better place in Scotland to bring up kids. It’s a perfect size so has all/most of the amenities a city needs yet still feels small and personal enough.

Despite what the P&J and EE say, it’s also a very safe city. Of course bad things happen and there’s trouble out there, as there is everywhere but I’ve never personally been in any bother or felt particularly unsafe. Lack of sectarian pish is an added bonus.

Does feel a bit cut off at times but a few better pubs, an improvement in the live music scene and improved shopping, and there really wouldn’t be much to complain about…. Abermoanians would still find a way though.

1 minute ago, Tattie36 said:

I’m still seen as an outsider even though I’ve lived in Aberdeen for almost exactly 40 years. However, I generally agree that it’s a much better city than its reputation suggests. Particularly in regard to quality of life and bringing up kids.

We live in a nice part of town but my teenage boys have girlfriends/pals from all over the city and they’ve never had any bother.

It’s far from perfect but I can’t think of a better place in Scotland to bring up kids. It’s a perfect size so has all/most of the amenities a city needs yet still feels small and personal enough.

Despite what the P&J and EE say, it’s also a very safe city. Of course bad things happen and there’s trouble out there, as there is everywhere but I’ve never personally been in any bother or felt particularly unsafe. Lack of sectarian pish is an added bonus.

Does feel a bit cut off at times but a few better pubs, an improvement in the live music scene and improved shopping, and there really wouldn’t be much to complain about…. Abermoanians would still find a way though.

The exception that proves the rules remains the Aberdeen Taxi drivers. They are crabbit basturts to a man. 

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The exception that proves the rules remains the Aberdeen Taxi drivers. They are crabbit basturts to a man. 

True, certainly for the vast majority. I think they’re all bitter as f**k that the gravy train derailed when the oil industry went tits up. The money those guys used to earn was crazy and there’s still a bit of that mentality particularly with the ones that have been doing it for years. They’re just pissed off that they now have to work a full week and get by on a normal wage.

8 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

The two highlighted bits are a couple of minor wrinkles for me. I've been here since 2012 and speak Doric loads (but with my Glasgowish accent) and I still get marked out as "nae fae here". 

The EE is a disgrace of a newspaper. Every front page is gruesome. I mind a woman was murdered up in Dyce and the EE headline described her murder in detail. It's advertised at head height for most young weans. I was raging at that.

The Globe Inn is a class pub and the music is, I think, getting better. I agree with the cut off thing though. That first hour and a half to Dundee feels like the Oregon Trail 😂.

8 minutes ago, velo army said:

The two highlighted bits are a couple of minor wrinkles for me. I've been here since 2012 and speak Doric loads (but with my Glasgowish accent) and I still get marked out as "nae fae here". 

Glaswegians are absolutely obsessed with other Scottish people’s accents. Constantly hear them going on about ‘Glasgow Uni’ accents, or ‘Teuchter’ accents. If you don’t have a very working class Glasgow accent then you’re not a true Scottish person to them and you’ll be met with some tired Limmy patter. Especially funny when it comes from some Hutchy-educated guy who grew up in a huge detached house in Pollokshields, yet desperately puts on a thicker accent. 

On the sectarian point, agreed it’s noticeably different on the east of Scotland v the west. 

1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

I think Scots on the whole are very friendly and personable to outsiders or newcomers, but are still quite a bitter and cynical people. I feel there is a bit of a crab mentality to a lot of people in this country.

As an Englishman I can confirm this is very true. Much more friendly than most English towns. 

36 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

I don't understand why Tuechtars always bring up "no sectarianism" when talking about living outside Strathclyde. Do they think we live in an Orange Order enclave?

Well, yes.

27 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Should also say, terms like ‘abermoanians’ are exactly why we can’t compete with our cheeky chappy compatriots in the west for humour. 

I hate that expression. I was meaning it as a bit of a joke, should have put quotation marks round it.