Unpopular opinions.

8 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

That’s not unpopular surely? It’s fucking awful & I thought universally accepted as being the Benidorm of the UK when it comes to arseholery? 

I wouldn't want a night out in it, but it's a good day out for football (not United) and pubs.

Just now, Cosmic Joe said:

Which football?

Take your pick. My favourite is South Shields, but there's about 20 non league teams in easy travelling distance and another 20 odd that need a bit more effort, Morpeth, Blyth etc.

10 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Take your pick. My favourite is South Shields, but there's about 20 non league teams in easy travelling distance and another 20 odd that need a bit more effort, Morpeth, Blyth etc.

I admire your indefatigability. The last time I was in that neck of the woods I hung about St James Park with my son looking for tickets to tick off a ground. Nothing doing. Headed south to take in Darlington v Boston United instead. 2,000 fans in a 30,000 seated stadium - soul destroying, worse than watching Queen's Park away at Hampden with the horrible stewards.

Just now, Cosmic Joe said:

I admire your indefatigability. The last time I was in that neck of the woods I hung about St James Park with my son looking for tickets to tick off a ground. Nothing doing. Headed south to take in Darlington v Boston United instead. 2,000 fans in a 30,000 seated stadium - soul destroying, worse than watching Queen's Park away at Hampden with the horrible stewards.

I think Darlington will be a better day out, now they've moved. I only went to United once, when they played non-league Luton in the cup and it was very cheap to get in. 

4 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Very much this. Within easy travel distance of Newcastle you've got numerous clubs to visit. A great place to base yourself for a weekend, get to some good boozers and head out for a game in the National League/North/Northern League.

If anything, the Benidormish reputation makes Newcastle under-rated. It's got to be among the best places in the UK for a fitba-watcher.

• 4 weeks later...