Unpopular opinions.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's a separate argument and I doubt if there's anything particularly unpopular about my opinion here, but it really bugs me that football in the lower divisions in Scotland just seems to bump along with a normal programme of Saturdays over the festive period.  

We absolutely should have Boxing Day and New Year's Day games, with the latter ideally being derbies.  It really pisses me off that valuable things like this are just allowed to disappear.

There shouldn't be football when there is no public transport.  

I think I've only really enjoyed a couple new years nights and they've been ones where I went to someone's house.  

Last night I met pals in a pub, couple drinks at their house then aimed to head home, ended up having a bonus drink before being in the house.  Was before 10 I was in. 

Cat wasn't happy getting picked up for the bells so I don't think she's into it either.  She was up watching the fireworks though, she seems to like them.  

10 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I think there’s been a shift from people having celebrations in their house or in their local pub to having big parties that are now highly organised. Edinburgh is the classic example - people used to gather at the Tron to celebrate it but it was locals. It became more of an event and by the 1990s was held in Princes Street and is fully ticketed. A friend of mine who is a local councillor posted figures this week that less than 25% of the attendees at the street party are from Edinburgh, which now takes over a big part of Edinburgh public spaces for a December and January. Maybe it’s a net benefit, I don’t know, but it’s certainly changed the character of New Year. You literally can’t go ‘up town’ for New Year now.

I was possibly at the last Hogmany at the Tron before it went down to the Gardens, 91 or 92?

At the stroke of midnight a magnum bottle of champagne went cartwheeling over our heads.  Whoever that hit was probably fucked for the next few days.

That was enough for us so we headed back down The Mound.  On the way we saw a lassie tumbling to the ground, reckon she tripped on the kerb.  People just trampled her down and kept walking over her until we were able to get to her and form a barrier until she got up.  Her night was pretty much fucked too,  given the battered state she was in.

Taking it to the Gardens probably wasn't a bad thing seeing what happened that night.

Edited by Loonytoons

New Year started to turn to shit the minute they started doing the stupid fucking countdown thing at the bells instead of juat having a piper playing so you can have a wee reminisce about better times and folk that are no longer here.

Americans ruin every fucking occasion and this place just laps up that shit.

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

New Year started to turn to shit the minute they started doing the stupid fucking countdown thing at the bells instead of juat having a piper playing so you can have a wee reminisce about better times and folk that are no longer here.

Americans ruin every fucking occasion and this place just laps up that shit.

Maybe on this occasion the yanks have it correct. That sounds pretty depressing tbh. 

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

And yet gates for such fixtures were a little higher than was typical, when we did.

Aye, bigger home support and private hire coaches for away. Distances were usually kept to minimum. The slight problem now though is some traditional rivalries are split across divisions.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Aye, bigger home support and private hire coaches for away. Distances were usually kept to minimum. The slight problem now though is some traditional rivalries are split across divisions.

Another argument for reconstruction imo, bigger leagues mean more chance of being in same league as your rivals 

Just now, Central Belt Caley said:

Another argument for reconstruction imo, bigger leagues mean more chance of being in same league as your rivals 

It's quite a flimsy one, even if I brought it up. If I was arguing the other side, I'd go straight to the meaningless fixtures in a bigger division.

2nd of January is perfect for football. NY day is for family (in my eyes). 

New Year is fantastic and I love Hogmanay. Bringing in the bells and having that sense of renewal and excitement looking towards a new year is a big part of the magic for me. I've always preferred it to Christmas actually.

Birthday card pish, I know.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Maybe on this occasion the yanks have it correct. That sounds pretty depressing tbh. 

Yes, that’s the fucking point. Then you get shitfaced for 3 days.

f**k razzamataz and its faux happiness.

39 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Yes, that’s the fucking point. Then you get shitfaced for 3 days.

f**k razzamataz and its faux happiness.

I'd rather enjoy myself with a drink tbh. Each to their own I suppose. 

9 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's quite a flimsy one, even if I brought it up. If I was arguing the other side, I'd go straight to the meaningless fixtures in a bigger division.

Just play all the derbies on NYD regardless.

If the teams happen to be in the same division, it counts as a league game. If not, play a friendly and split the gate.

Spent Hogmanay on an absolutely stunning beach on an island on Guinea-Bissau getting wrecked with the locals, then did the same on the first. On the second everyone got the boat back to the mainland where one of the most popular bands in the country played a free gig as they'd been on the island for a bevvy as well. This country has been a non-stop party since Christmas Eve and shows no signs of abating. Would recommend.

IMG_20231230_150021.jpg

IMG_20240102_103340.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've been listening to OK Computer by Radiohead recently for the first time, and after about 5 or 6 listens I've come to the conclusion that its guff that does not live up to its reputation.

Airbag - not great, not terrible. 6.5/10
Paranoid Android - the first half is really good, the last half is shite 8/10
Subterranean Homesick Alien - boring shite 3/10
Exit Music - excellent song. 10/10
Let Down - more boring, unmemorable crap 4/10
Karma Police - good chorus, little else going for it 7.5/10
Fitter Happier - utter nonsense filler 0/10
Electioneering - dreadful butt rock song, does not fit the vibe 2/10
Climbing Up The Walls - refer to "Let Down" comment 3/10
No Surprises - another good song 8.5/10
Lucky - refer to "Let Down" comment 3/10
The Tourist - refer to "Let Down" comment 3/10

4.88/10

4 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

I've been listening to OK Computer by Radiohead recently for the first time, and after about 5 or 6 listens I've come to the conclusion that its guff that does not live up to its reputation.

4.88/10

@paranoid android

5 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

4.88/10

Can't argue much with your scoring. The Bends is a 9 at least though.

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Names on the back of shirts should be restricted to surname only.

I would discard them completely. In the lower leagues they come across as "look at us, We've got names on the back of our jerseys".