Unpopular opinions.

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

Back on topic. I’m not particularly one for a fry up, but on the odd occasion I will partake. Spent the last few days at a hotel in #perthshire (I should be in San Francisco, but that’s for another thread ((pttgoyn)), and the fried breakfast was a delight. Anyway, I’m of the (I assume) unpopular opinion that black pudding is a better breakfast staple than haggis.

This is correct. Black pudding is lovely. Haggis is not.

19 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I actually strain baked beans (Heinz) because I can stand the foul orangey crap they can them in, and it drives me mental when it spreads across the plate and contaminates the other food.

Why not just buy a tin of cannellini beans instead?

1 minute ago, Boo Khaki said:

That's just the times where I brave an egg at all. Most of the time it just gets binned off the request list altogether.

I like a bit of fruit pudding in with the black pudding though.

Milk. Another utterly repulsive substance that I can not understand humans ingesting. Just look at what it does to the side of a glass :yucky

Eggs are great. Runny yolk is fine.

Milk is great too.

Fruit pudding though? Dear me. No.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

This is correct. Black pudding is lovely. Haggis is not.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Fruit pudding though? Dear me. No.

You are just full of absolutely atrocious opinions.

All are lovely, and you are factually incorrect.

2 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Because missus actually likes whatever that sugary shite Heinz can them in is. She's a no righter.

Branston beans are better.

1 minute ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

You are just full of absolutely atrocious opinions.

All are lovely, and you are factually incorrect.

I fear we may have to engage in a physical altercation sir.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

I fear we may have to engage in a physical altercation sir.

The usual duelling spot, I fear. Tomorrow at daybreak.

Thy mother to hold accoutrements.

pDHooe7.gif

17 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Might as well take this opportunity to add my usual advertisement for American beans like Bush, which show up literally all UK beans as cheap, watery, tasteless swill that Heinz have been getting away with selling here for way too long.

Do you have a recommended favourite? Pricey but I'm tempted.

https://www.americangrocer.co.uk/collections/all/baked-beans

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Do you have a recommended favourite? Pricey but I'm tempted.

https://www.americangrocer.co.uk/collections/all/baked-beans

I've only tried the Original, Homestyle, Maple Cured Bacon, Onion, and Vegetarian. All were massively better than Heinz, but Maple Cured Bacon was my favourite. It tells you a lot about what goes in to them as standard that they needed to have a Vegetarian option for baked beans in tomato sauce!

I wouldn't pay that price, though. I'm sure I saw them at about £2 a can last time I checked, which is bad enough. The cans are bigger in the US, at least (steady).

Edit: to be honest, you'd be better buying tins of haricot beans and making your own; it's not difficult to prepare. Tomatoes, brown sugar, bacon, bit of animal fat...they'd probably be better than anything you'd buy pre-packaged anyway.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

20 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

Under the Marquis of P & B Ruels, i hope.  Respective maws in each corner as cut-persons ??

Of course.

19 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

The usual duelling spot, I fear. Tomorrow at daybreak.

Thy mother to hold accoutrements.

pDHooe7.gif

I shall prepare accordingly.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

All I have to say on the cooked breakfast subject is, as always, the "full english" is a fucking myth and is done vastly better up here. Square sausage, tattie scone and haggis ensure that a Scottish breakfast is light years ahead of pishy English ones.

Irish cooked breakfasts are on a higher plane of existence to Scottish ones though, with the addition of white pudding that actually tastes good (essentially a more orderly version of the haggis that often gets dumped in a mound on the plate) and the all-important soda bread element(s). Any of the Rankin Selection products in the bread aisle over here produce a passing imitation of the real thing; normal toast can f**k off. 

I was also going to cite their potato farls as superior to tattie scones but I've had some very good extra thick and extra thin efforts on my travels recently - it's the generic triangle efforts that don't contribute enough. 

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Plate size is what you need to consider. No item should be summarily dismissed...except hash browns of course.

And mushrooms which serve absolutely no purpose in an already savoury on savoury pile-on. 

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

Irish cooked breakfasts are on a higher plane of existence to Scottish ones though, with the addition of white pudding that actually tastes good (essentially a more orderly version of the haggis that often gets dumped in a mound on the plate) and the all-important soda bread element(s). Any of the Rankin Selection products in the bread aisle over here produce a passing imitation of the real thing; normal toast can f**k off. 

I was also going to cite their potato farls as superior to tattie scones but I've had some very good extra thick and extra thin efforts on my travels recently - it's the generic triangle efforts that don't contribute enough. 

And mushrooms which serve absolutely no purpose in an already savoury on savoury pile-on. 

It'll come as no surprise I eat them as well. Earthy, contrast to the other items, particularly the sweetish beans and tomato.

2 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Anyway, I’m of the (I assume) unpopular opinion that black pudding is a better breakfast staple than haggis.

The clearest indicator of the British public being no righters (including Brexit and December's election) was that YouGov ranking of breakfast items that listed black pudding at the bottom tier. Country of children.