Unpopular opinions.

7 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

A proper Stornoway black pudding is about the best thing you can have in a breakfast but a poor quality one is the worst

If it's not Stornoway, Caithness or Orkney quality the only answer is burning it to a crisp, bit like sticking shite red wine in the fridge to make it drinkable.

3 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Here's something on that topic that's actually worthy of the unpopular opinions thread. 

Bacon - given the choice I'd always choose the wee medallion things with the fat already trimmed off than full rashers. Is that a black mark against my name for life?

I'm with you on this life choice. Even more controversially my favourite way of cooking it if I'm not frying anything else is between two sheets of kitchen paper in the microwave.

1 minute ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Black pudding and/or haggis need to feature in a fry up ......but there is no place on God's earth for the abomination that is "fruit pudding".

I don’t mind fruit pudding but one bit is more than enough and it just seems like a waste of space that could’ve been used for an extra bit of black pudding, haggis or an egg.

It’s funny how the only time we disagree on food is when you’re wrong [emoji106]
Pig fat is delicious, and its unhealthiness should be mitigated using moderation, not removal.

IDGAF tho, still giddy and doe eyed over finding out how much we greeny eachother. Have another.

9 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Bacon is best grilled.

Bacon is also best with no fat.

There should be no visible white fat after cooking but this is why streaky is best: the fat melts and bastes the meat around it delicious animal fat goodness. Otherwise what you're getting is a glorified ham sandwich. 

Grilling bacon is such a pain in the arse, because i don't use the grill for anything else. But it might be the right way to go.

There's a perfect balance of heat needed. Too hot and you've dried it to f**k, and not enough heat and you won't get the crispness that the fat deserves.

It's an art so it is, and I'm happy to admit I'm still learning my craft.

And for some reason, a hot breakfast roll always tastes better when someone else makes it!

Back on topic. I’m not particularly one for a fry up, but on the odd occasion I will partake. Spent the last few days at a hotel in #perthshire (I should be in San Francisco, but that’s for another thread ((pttgoyn)), and the fried breakfast was a delight. Anyway, I’m of the (I assume) unpopular opinion that black pudding is a better breakfast staple than haggis.
The black pudding statement is true. Haggis is shite with a breakfast.

32 minutes ago, virginton said:

Streaky bacon is the correct choice.

This.

Has to be done properly, with a bacon press, or on a good griddle so that all the fat renders and goes crispy. 

Nothing worse than lank, insipid bacon with rubbery fat. Perhaps a spongey sausage. Spongey sausage is the hallmark of a cheap, half-arsed cooked breakfast.