Unpopular opinions.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Looks like it, I wasn't aware of that and he denied it both have addiction issues and obviously that will play into their behaviour but perhaps because Maradona was so good he will get a free pass.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eurosport.com/football/maradona-accused-of-domestic-violence-after-video-leak_sto4714592/story-amp.shtml

That's my point, he does. I'm playing devil's advocate a bit. I think it's strange how we choose what to overlook or forgive. 

Perhaps Maradona is given more leeway because one story of unproven abuse (I read your link and tried to watch the video but it’s not available) is less than what Gazza has been convicted of? Harassment, assault, racism, drink driving. Mourning the loss of a terrific footballer who came from nothing to have the world at his feet, and stuck it up our greatest rivals, doesn’t excuse or negate that he potentially hit a woman in fairness but I don’t feel the comparison is fair.

13 minutes ago, 101 said:

Looks like it, I wasn't aware of that and he denied it both have addiction issues and obviously that will play into their behaviour but perhaps because Maradona was so good he will get a free pass.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eurosport.com/football/maradona-accused-of-domestic-violence-after-video-leak_sto4714592/story-amp.shtml

From that clip it could be as he said and he just slapped the phone out of her hand. Not nice but her voice sounded more annoyed than getting battered.

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Perhaps Maradona is given more leeway because one story of unproven abuse (I read your link and tried to watch the video but it’s not available) is less than what Gazza has been convicted of? Harassment, assault, racism, drink driving. Mourning the loss of a terrific footballer who came from nothing to have the world at his feet, and stuck it up our greatest rivals, doesn’t excuse or negate that he potentially hit a woman in fairness but I don’t feel the comparison is fair.

As I said, I'm playing devil's advocate and the comparison to Gascoigne is only used because of the football connection. Is being good at football enough to be excused for his behaviour? Even allowing for addiction, he has an unpleasant history.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

As I said, I'm playing devil's advocate and the comparison to Gascoigne is only used because of the football connection. Is being good at football enough to be excused for his behaviour? Even allowing for addiction, he has an unpleasant history.

Nah, I appreciate that mate.
Is one incident (if there’s more then I’ll stand corrected) of disputed assault enough to write off his complete story? If he’d been convicted of numerous offences then I’d have no hesitation in saying yes. For what I know just now, that he came from abject poverty, became one of the best ever I don’t think so, and admittedly that he has a chequered past to show he’s human (I’m talking drink, drugs, sex, mafia) also appeals to me. A real maverick and perhaps one of the last we’ll see. I do withhold the right to change my opinion of him if more comes to light though.

12 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That's my point, he does. I'm playing devil's advocate a bit. I think it's strange how we choose what to overlook or forgive. 

See it all the time though, Gary Glitter was very average, rightly stuck in the jail. Michael Jackson has some incredibly odd relationships with children regardless of if anything actually happened and his records are played regularly. 

If we take the domestic abuse out of it clearly his reliance of the marching powder will have resulted in the misery of thousands of people from the funding of organised crime groups and obviously that's not something any of use could ever endorse but should we not mark the true talent and skill of a man because of his actions, I think we should but it should be framed in the appropriate picture. Gazza will be remembered as a fine footballer but as a man with a history of criminal activity and plagued with addiction issues. Peter Shilton won't be remembered. 

I agree with all of the above but a common thread for them all that I continually trot out is that there’s very few nice normal people that reach the pinnacle of their field. 
That doesn’t justify their behaviour but when they’re so absorbed in being the best in one particular aspect of their life, why is it such a surprise that they are lacking in other areas that us mortals take for granted?  That they are beatified for their singular talent rather than their wholesomeness is is as much down to us as them  

21 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Even 20 pages of Google results would only scratch the surface of his lifestory. I've already said he's among the best ever, but he's practically being beatified elsewhere in this site and his lifestyle glorified.

I'm a bit clueless about this, has he done worse than that clip with his girlfriend and taking lots of recreational drugs and alcohol?

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I agree with all of the above but a common thread for them all that I continually trot out is that there’s very few nice normal people that reach the pinnacle of their field. 
That doesn’t justify their behaviour but when they’re so absorbed in being the best in one particular aspect of their life, why is it such a surprise that they are lacking in other areas that us mortals take for granted?  That they are beatified for their singular talent rather than their wholesomeness is is as much down to us as them  

That's my point though, we choose when and for who we should look the other way. I posted money unpopular opinion here that he is undeserving of his conduct being overlooked or forgiven.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm a bit clueless about this, has he done worse than that clip with his girlfriend and taking lots of recreational drugs and alcohol?

There are allegations of sexual assault and actual violence all over the internet I couldn't link them all.

I don't disagree with pushing back against the narrative and lol I've done it myself but thinking about how it's received over the years I'm not sure most people are really willing to accept that kind of (needed) nuance immediately when someone dies. Not saying I'm right ofc just thinking about major deaths like Bowie or Prince for example where lesser known allegations surfaced and didn't accomplish much beyond people shouting at each other for hours on the internet.

2 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Every lassie under 30 taking photos of themselves in a pub/club toilet mirror for why??????

Women are a very strange species and generally worth the watching

Not sure why this is a thing, probably convenience. Don’t want to make this misogynistic as some men are now as bad or worse.

I think that there’s a animalistic thing in everyone to fit in and receive attention and social media and tv has exploited this and it’s gone bonkers.

People thinking that social media status is more important than character or life skills/education. Primary school kids with £1000 smart phones and access to everything online. I’m thinking that this could be bad, very bad. Imagine being bullied at that age on Facebook and getting harassed 24/7 or one daft photo or opinion that could ruin you. Kids shouldn’t have to go through this shit. Going off at a tangent but with kids all addicted it will get worse until it’s the norm to be addicted to all this shit.

And I've said this numerous times but I have yet to see someone with lip filler who doesn't look worse off for doing it.

That's because you don't notice when it's done well. I used to know a lassie who was a dermatologist and did loads of cosmetic work on folk. We'd walk around town and she'd point out all the people who'd had work done (women and men) and most of them I'd never have guessed. She herself was absolutely stunning.

She did tell me that from time to time she'd turn down work because the customer would be ruining their face but some kept insisting because they'd developed a sort of addiction to it.

It absolutely can make people look better though. Have a look at some pictures of a young Diletta Leotta for example.

Folk that rush online to tell everyone about bad stuff a famous person did the day after they died are like annoying 14 year olds who've decided they're atheists for the first time.

You're correct. Everyone knows you're correct. But the only possible takeaway is that you're being a twat.

Edited by Gordon EF

17 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Even 20 pages of Google results would only scratch the surface of his lifestory. I've already said he's among the best ever, but he's practically being beatified elsewhere in this site and his lifestyle glorified.

Is the Pope still an Argie? He might get actually beatified.