Unpopular opinions.

30 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I’ve bought port the last couple of Xmas but have never tried Sherry.

What kind of Sherry would you recommend?

Does it go with cheese?

Pedro Ximenez is decent, very sweet so it depends what you're after.

I suspect I will be firmly in the minority with this opinion but I wanted to take a snap poll to see if I am not alone.

This program seems to be adored all over Scotland. I've tried to get into the hype a few times but I just don't get it. Bar a few decent memes ('birthday caird pish' etc) I see it as the Scottish equivalent of Mrs Brown's Boys. Unpopular opinion:

STILL GAME IS SHITE.

Green dot this post if you agree 💚

Red dot this post if you disagree 🔴

9 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I suspect I will be firmly in the minority with this opinion but I wanted to take a snap poll to see if I am not alone.

This program seems to be adored all over Scotland. I've tried to get into the hype a few times but I just don't get it. Bar a few decent memes ('birthday caird pish' etc) I see it as the Scottish equivalent of Mrs Brown's Boys. Unpopular opinion:

STILL GAME IS SHITE.

I caveat my red dot by saying the original still game was cracking, it was fairly crap after it was brought back

Just now, 101 said:

I caveat my red dot by saying the original still game was cracking, it was fairly crap after it was brought back

Like most things that become popular, they end up kicking the arse out of it to keep the money rolling in.

What episodes would someone recommend to convince a hater that Still Game is/was actually good?

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Absolutely correct as with most comedies, they don't know when to quit whole they're ahead. I'd say the only exception is Father Ted and who knows if they'd have dragged that out as well.

1 minute ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Like most things that become popular, they end up kicking the arse out of it to keep the money rolling in.

What episodes would someone recommend to convince a hater that Still Game is/was actually good?

Cairds 

1 minute ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Absolutely correct as with most comedies, they don't know when to quit whole they're ahead. I'd say the only exception is Father Ted and who knows if they'd have dragged that out as well.

Schitt's Creek is excellent and they have decided to stop after the 6th series while on a high.

It's sad there won't be more but preferable to going on too long and becoming dreadful like all too many initially great comedies.

26 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Cairds, Scran, Who's the Daddy, Hyper.

Any of them are standouts

Still Game should have left it alone. The newer ones aren't as bad on second viewing (well, 9 is pretty dire) but they are nothing in comparison to the originals. The originals aren't over-rated though, it's just a great comedy. Unlike quite a lot of sitcoms that have a laughter track/studio audience, the jokes are actually funny without the need of that to prompt the viewer. But in the newer ones it never had that feel. The bits where the audience laughed wasn't really funny and it became a run of the mill BBC sitcom at the end.

Still arguably the best sitcom to come from Scotland though.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

Still Game should have left it alone. The newer ones aren't as bad on second viewing (well, 9 is pretty dire) but they are nothing in comparison to the originals. The originals aren't over-rated though, it's just a great comedy. Unlike quite a lot of sitcoms that have a laughter track/studio audience, the jokes are actually funny without the need of that to prompt the viewer. But in the newer ones it never had that feel. The bits where the audience laughed wasn't really funny and it became a run of the mill BBC sitcom at the end.

Still arguably the best sitcom to come from Scotland though.

Rab C Nesbitt was far superior imo.

55 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

STILL GAME IS SHITE.

i view it as the only Scottish comedy show i'd give my time to, the shit that we produced before and after it, f**k me, its embarrassing, bellends like Tam Cowan can rubbish english shite like the vicar of dibely and the big miranda bint on his radio show, yet we produce garbage like Rab C , Gary Tank Commander, Limmy , that polis shite and fuckin jolly boy john ...for real

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

STILL GAME IS SHITE.

It's fine. It's not exactly groundbreaking or anything but it's a very comforting show. Think they were also a little hamstrung when they returned by not being able to be casually homophobic like it was in the original as it left a lot of the patter feeling more stilted whereas it felt more authentic in the original series.

My troll take is that not liking it in Scotland is a sign you're deeply middle class so I think you've just outed yourself as a middle class luvvy furloughed on full pay.

6 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

My troll take is that not liking it in Scotland is a sign you're deeply middle class so I think you've just outed yourself as a middle class luvvy furloughed on full pay.

I've never seen a diamond in the flesh. I cut my teeth on wedding rings in the movies. And I'm not proud of my address. In a torn up town, no postcode envy.

But every song's like gold teeth, Grey Goose, trippin' in the bathroom, bloodstains, ball gowns, trashin' the hotel room. We don't care. We're driving Cadillacs in our dreams.

But everybody's like Cristal, Maybach, diamonds on your timepiece. Jet planes, islands, tigers on a gold leash. We don't care. We aren't caught up in your love affair.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

STILL GAME IS SHITE.

See the source image

On another note, I read that BBC Scotland will be re-running City Lights, I recall it being good, I hope I'm not let down.

21/12/20  BBC One - City Lights

Edited by Zen Archer Esq.