Unpopular opinions.

does something magical happen to pizza made by Italians in Scotland, because i've had one in Rome and it was shite ?
Rome is about the worst place in Italy for pizza, apart from maybe Venice. Too doughy and overpriced with the tourist trade. Naples obviously is probably the best although you get decent pizza in most places. If you're in a wee town in the middle of nowhere the chances are you'll get a good pizza or a slice (pizza al taglia) in a wee place off the main square.

Supermarket pizzas are shite 4A0C309C-6B26-4029-BF71-BB446AEBBF05.png.93bd6401839417f33d8430f372b40067.png
You see people creaming themselves over those Asda pizzas - absolutely dreadful stuff. 
I really want to get one of those Ooni pizza ovens. Some of the pizzas I’ve seen folk make using them look incredible.
My parents have a pizza oven in their garden. The pizzas are indeed incredible. I want one for my garden but fear I'd eat nothing but pizza.
I bought one of these from The Range last year and got to properly use it this summer. Can confirm that the pizzas are incredible. It's a really good barbeque as well.

FWIW DHD, you won't eat pizza constantly purely because it's a pain in the arse to clean after use.

I bought one of these from The Range last year and got to properly use it this summer. Can confirm that the pizzas are incredible. It's a really good barbeque as well.

FWIW DHD, you won't eat pizza constantly purely because it's a pain in the arse to clean after use.
What cleaning are you doing? Gas fired one needs precisely no cleaning

47 minutes ago, thistledo said:

I know exactly what you mean about the burning sensation... *Kenneth Williams gif* 

Care to share the name of the good pizza place? 

WHAT'S THE POINT YOU'LL JUST IGNORE THE RECOMMENDATION AND NOT GO!!!!!

His treatment of your good self over the kebab shop recommendations is frankly vile. Its become so awkward I am considering going there myself just so that theres someone to pat you on the head and day well done....

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
7 minutes ago, Rugster said:

His treatment of your good self over the kebab shop recommendations is frankly vile. Its become so awkward I am considering going there myself just so that theres someone to pat you on the head and day well done....

You wouldn't regret it. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:
Supermarket pizzas are shite 4A0C309C-6B26-4029-BF71-BB446AEBBF05.png.93bd6401839417f33d8430f372b40067.png
You see people creaming themselves over those Asda pizzas - absolutely dreadful stuff. 
I really want to get one of those Ooni pizza ovens. Some of the pizzas I’ve seen folk make using them look incredible.

I can absolutely vouch for the Ooni ovens. Treat yourself this Christmas and hit me up on the scran thread. Partially why I have a bee in my bonnet about what passes for pizza and what some c***s charge for them probably.

Sadly on back order...

087B7C08-71C3-4B35-B239-12F35F13D917.thumb.jpeg.1a86281614d9417b2f45516808d1b871.jpeg

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

there's two kebab/curry places in the space of a two minute walk from each other near me and the difference in the quality of the pizzas they serve up is remarkable. one always managed to burn them to a crisp at the bottom + had an ungodly amount of grease so i gave up getting them from there, the other place serves up a vastly superior, more generously topped pizza and at a lower price to boot

Some supermarket pizzas kind of... burn my gums/tongue (dunno how else to describe it) which was a bit alarming so stopped getting them, always assumed its to do with the preservatives in them or maybe they're just salty as f**k (dr oetker ones were the worst for this)

It sounds like you’re talking about “from the freezers” pizzas? (Which should be banned completely IMO) 

Anyway, I’m not sure those are what folk were meaning by “supermarket pizza”. 

17 minutes ago, Gaz said:

My local takeaway does hands down the best pizza I've ever tasted.

At £6.50 for a 14" it's also dirt cheap. I eat far too many of them.

And the name of the establishment that does the £6.50 14-incher?

Edited by 8MileBU

52 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Aye, I’ll definitely be getting one when I have a bit more space. 

In Glasgow I rate a Paesano (half price NHS discount during the first lockdown 🤤), Mozza and Baffo. All pretty reasonably priced too.

I got a Errols Hot Pizza in the Southside the other day and thought it was decent but quite pricey tbh and a bit of an annoying booking system.

Rename thread, ‘Pizza thread’ pls mods.

Oro is the best pizza in Glasgow. Mamma mia.

36 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
39 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

What cleaning are you doing? Gas fired one needs precisely no cleaning

Having a gas fired one defeats the point, surely? It's like having a gas fired barbecue, what's the point? Pizza oven should be wood fired, and the bbq should always be charcoal.

1 minute ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Having a gas fired one defeats the point, surely? It's like having a gas fired barbecue, what's the point? Pizza oven should be wood fired, and the bbq should always be charcoal.

Na. Read a bit about this. Flavour wise a pizza isnt in long enough to get any tangible wood flavour. It's all about heat and heat retention. 

Also, for ease of use and wood (pellet or logs) being a pain in the hole, you probably use your gas one many times more resulting in more frequent pizza and getting better at it. 

Long story short, theres nothing in it for flavour but a huge amount in effort

28 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Na. Read a bit about this. Flavour wise a pizza isnt in long enough to get any tangible wood flavour. It's all about heat and heat retention. 

I was listening to a podcast actually in which some supergenius polymath explained that actually doesn't have to do with heat at all but rather infra-red radiation and the convection of the air it produces over the pizza's surface. 

Pizzas from Kebab shops normally have those horrid frozen pizza bases but you do get a few with fresh dough that are decent but will never be outdone by a proper Italian pizza.

As for supermarket pizzas, sure I've mentioned it before but Sainsburys pizzas are best quality however they're let down by the lack of choice when it comes to toppings.

My unpopular opinion is Italian pizzas are let down by having authentic toppings eg 8 different types of the same sausage and a mushroom. 

Can we get the Italian lads to do the pizza itself but then join up with the Turkish lads to put the equivalent of a mixed kebab on top 

39 minutes ago, virginton said:

I was listening to a podcast actually in which some supergenius polymath explained that actually doesn't have to do with heat at all but rather infra-red radiation and the convection of the air it produces over the pizza's surface. 

Aye the shape of the oven and the way the air flows from the fire over the top to the the flue is important. They all have the domed top regardless of fuel. My one has (or had, it might have faded) a pretty high shine on the top to reflect heat back onto the toppings, and the stone which should reach about 400 degrees C obviously cooks the bread in rapid fashion 

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

My local takeaway does hands down the best pizza I've ever tasted.

At £6.50 for a 14" it's also dirt cheap. I eat far too many of them.

A cheese pizza with no other toppings?

Rab C Nesbitt was far superior imo.

Watched a couple of old episodes recently, including the one with...

“John William Pure Mad Mental Intae Your Body Simpson Craig Gemmell Chib The Bam Rib-Racker No Real Young Rebel Ya Bas St. John McGurn aka Young Young McGurn”. [emoji23]