Unpopular opinions.

Day drinking, 6-8 pints, having a nice time with friends or family and then calling it quits early doors is where it's at. Beyond this it's just pointlessly pissing away money and your health, you won't reach any better stage of drunkenness in doing so. 

you are absolutely correct. whilst 4 - 6 pints is not enough for most people to get pished to the point of causing bother, it is pretty much the exact amount required to override the part of the brain that earlier said you would only have 4-6 pints because you don't want to get hammered and cause bother.
The drunk mind can't process the concept of diminishing returns.

My issue with drinking is that I find almost everything I do revolves around alcohol one way or another and I don’t have any other hobbies or interest to distract me from wanting to consume it every time I get the chance. There’s probably at least another 10 million people like me in the U.K. alone so at least I’m in good company.

1 minute ago, throbber said:

My issue with drinking is that I find almost everything I do revolves around alcohol one way or another and I don’t have any other hobbies or interest to distract me from wanting to consume it every time I get the chance. There’s probably at least another 10 million people like me in the U.K. alone so at least I’m in good company.

Get back on the cock drawings you monster.

24 minutes ago, throbber said:

I was going to say do you not spend time with your children but then I remembered you require a large carry out for an infants birthday party.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I was going to say do you not spend time with your children but then I remembered you require a large carry out for an infants birthday party.

Let’s not go digging that one back up again just because I called you a coomer.

19 minutes ago, throbber said:

Let’s not go digging that one back up again just because I called you a coomer.

I could never stay angry at you throbber.

I think a lot of social life for people involves drinking alcohol, for a small number of people that means drinking to excess semi-regularly and for an even smaller number of people that can read to real problems.  I do think that society has changed to a degree, younger people seem less likely to view alcohol as central to their social lives.  Certainly it's a change from when I was a young person and all anyone wanted to do was get drunk.

Yeah a boozy lifestyle was definitely embedded into my subconscious in the early - mid 00’s and I’ve never shaken free of it throughout my adult life. I remember overhearing my mother once say about me “he wasn’t really into drinking til he turned 18” which I suppose sums up those debauched times perfectly.

I was ready to leap to alcohols defence but then I thought about it and to be honest, as much as I enjoy it at the right times, I’ll be pleased if my daughter grows up to either not drink or have nothing like the culture I grew up with. 

One thing that always sets me on edge is people who get drunk in front of their children, I just don't think it's right.  

During the first lockdown I was woken up one night by a family walking down our road at around 1am, they had a wee boy with them about four or five years old.  They were absolutely steaming and had clearly been out at a party or something.  The kid was kicking a can down the road and tripped and the dad thought it was so funny, he tried to get him to do it again so he could film it and send it to his mates.  The parents were killingthemselves laughing in that too loud drunken way but the kid wasn't laughing, he just seemed puzzled by it all.  Really weird, disturbing behaviour.

9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

One thing that always sets me on edge is people who get drunk in front of their children, I just don't think it's right.  

During the first lockdown I was woken up one night by a family walking down our road at around 1am, they had a wee boy with them about four or five years old.  They were absolutely steaming and had clearly been out at a party or something.  The kid was kicking a can down the road and tripped and the dad thought it was so funny, he tried to get him to do it again so he could film it and send it to his mates.  The parents were killingthemselves laughing in that too loud drunken way but the kid wasn't laughing, he just seemed puzzled by it all.  Really weird, disturbing behaviour.

9A353E2B-7B88-4837-A5CC-0517B7FE88D6.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I was ready to leap to alcohols defence but then I thought about it and to be honest, as much as I enjoy it at the right times, I’ll be pleased if my daughter grows up to either not drink or have nothing like the culture I grew up with. 

Assuming 1988 is your real name then the culture isn’t going to go back the way it was when you started boozing. The mid 00’s was a weird time for all of it because the debauched 90’s were a recent memory and whilst social media was on the rise, things like mental health awareness wasn’t really a thing and the tv and radio were still giving off subliminal messages that boozing was cool. Kids nowadays are largely raised by their smart phones and aren’t getting the same messages that lead them to debauchery which is why 18-25 year olds aren’t into going out every weekend and instead make attention seeking videos on tik tok which is probably worse.

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Also take into account that there are no crazy booze offers in bars and clubs anymore at a moments notice. No more all you can drink for a tenner on a Thursday in the Ballroom etc.

Dunno about that - I went on an Edinburgh gin tour followed by a boozy lunch at bar soba a while back and it was proper irresponsible levels of drinking encouraged. 

10 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Also take into account that there are no crazy booze offers in bars and clubs anymore at a moments notice. No more all you can drink for a tenner on a Thursday in the Ballroom etc.

Yeah, in the late 90's I could easy go into Berlins in Aberdeen and get steamin on £15. 30p a Vodka nip, 50p a pint and £1 for a bottle of Becks. Knew a guy that worked there, said it wasn't watered down either.

I would start the night on a pint of Vodka and Irn Bru. 

I am of course thankful my kids can't experience this, I keep thinking it was a good time, but was it? Spraying everyone with spew with my hand over my mouth as it skooshed through my fingers as I ran to the bog was a right laugh tbf.

Edited by johnnydun

2 hours ago, throbber said:

Yeah a boozy lifestyle was definitely embedded into my subconscious in the early - mid 00’s and I’ve never shaken free of it throughout my adult life. I remember overhearing my mother once say about me “he wasn’t really into drinking til he turned 18” which I suppose sums up those debauched times perfectly.

I was born in 68, started bevvying in our early teens - that and smoking was just "what you did" where I grew up. We used to get local jakies to buy us cans of cheap lager and special brew (!) on friday nights in exchange for a couple of cans.

Was being served in The Dykes (fucking hell, what a hovel that was) in Gilmerton regularly from age 15. Thank f**k I dont live in that area any more.

Different times and attitudes.

Having said that, I kid myself that I think I dont drink that much, but if I added it up over the week it is almost certainly too much. I will be out and reekin ahead of the derby on Saturday for example.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

My son (16) is basically not interested in drink, and I have no issue if this continues or if he only has a few to be sociable etc.

I did a lot of very stupid and dangerous things when I was steaming - some of which I would be horrified if my son replicated.

.............and lets not get on to the subject of drugs 😏

Edited by Leith Green

11 hours ago, thistledo said:

Day drinking, 6-8 pints, having a nice time with friends or family and then calling it quits early doors is where it's at. Beyond this it's just pointlessly pissing away money and your health, you won't reach any better stage of drunkenness in doing so. 

This may very well be the epitome of unpopular opinion but over the course of a long afternoon, you are using your maximum quota for 168 hours and as such you may be described as a binge drinker that is damaging your health.