Unpopular opinions.

4 minutes ago, throbber said:

Why just Scotland?

I've only ever lived in Scotland, so I can't comment on other places and don't really care.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
32 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:
Scotland would be a better place if alcohol didn't exist.

Or if Scots weren't seemingly genetically wired to abuse it? Alcohol is fucking great, and has been part of human life for millenia.

How is it great?

Do you think the positives outweigh the negatives when it comes to alcohol and human life?
For the vast majority, probably. But you need to narrow it down a touch. "Human life" is a bit broad? Are you talking health, social, societal?

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
4 minutes ago, throbber said:
Do you think the positives outweigh the negatives when it comes to alcohol and human life?

For the vast majority, probably. But you need to narrow it down a touch. "Human life" is a bit broad? Are you talking health, social, societal?

I used “human life” as you said it was part of human life for a milenia. I’m just asking whether you think it’s been a positive or a negative introduction to the human chapter. I 100% believe the world would be a far better place had it never been introduced but my life pretty much revolves around it one way or another.

25 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

As tasty as oranges are, they're a pain in the c**t to peel. Better getting a manderin or tangerine.

The definition of a mandarin is a Chinese Orangeman. 

Big Team found. 

I used “human life” as you said it was part of human life for a milenia. I’m just asking whether you think it’s been a positive or a negative introduction to the human chapter. I 100% believe the world would be a far better place had it never been introduced but my life pretty much revolves around it one way or another.
For people who misuse it (myself, occasionally but loads over the years) and people who have become addicted to it, sure I suppose for them it's definitely a negative influence.

There is no real health problem with alcohol itself though. Its about overuse. Likewise on the social side. Overuse is the problem.

48 minutes ago, throbber said:

It was sort of introduced by nature. 

Because ageing or rotting fruit produces alcohol naturally we've evolved to tolerate and digest it so we can eat those fruits. 

The alcohol has a beneficial antibacterial effect. For much of prehistory and early history having a brewing culture was the best way to preserve both fresh water and the calories in cereal crops (or honey) for later consumption. I'd say that as an alternative to starving or cholera that's pretty positive. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

There is no real health problem with alcohol itself though. Its about overuse.

More than 2 pints in one day would be overuse though, which is just about everyone in the country when they go out. I can't agree there's no health problem with alcohol, it's terribly addictive and extremely difficult and at times dangerous for users to stop using it. Anything that causes dependency in a user is a problem. 

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

More than 2 pints in one day would be overuse though, which is just about everyone in the country when they go out. I can't agree there's no health problem with alcohol, it's terribly addictive and extremely difficult and at times dangerous for users to stop using it. Anything that causes dependency in a user is a problem. 

Other countries can use alcohol more responsibly and you often hear about health benefits associated with red wine for example. 

I just dont think alcohol is inherently bad is all. And it's use can absolutely be an enjoyable experience. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Other countries can use alcohol more responsibly and you often hear about health benefits associated with red wine for example. 

I just dont think alcohol is inherently bad is all. And it's use can absolutely be an enjoyable experience. 

I understand there are health benefits to using it as part of a balanced diet but I how many of your friends can you say do that? 

It's not really about whether its inherently bad, Miguel stated Scotland would be a better place if it didn't exist and given our horrible attitudes towards responsible drinking I tend to agree there. 

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I understand there are health benefits to using it as part of a balanced diet but I how many of your friends can you say do that? 

It's not really about whether its inherently bad, Miguel stated Scotland would be a better place if it didn't exist and given our horrible attitudes towards responsible drinking I tend to agree there. 

Hes probably right. It's just that I was then challenged for why I said alcohol is good which I stand by. Its the fault of the people that its a problem. Which is admittedly a point that doesn't really matter I suppose. 

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

The feeling after 2 or 3 pints is fantastic.

I think your going to be in a minority if you are suggesting there's no pleasure to be had from drinking.

Getting drunk is indeed one of life’s pleasures. Being drunk, on the other hand, nah, not so much. The iron discipline you need when you have to admit you’ve had enough is no match for the seductive lure of just one more. 

3 hours ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Getting drunk is indeed one of life’s pleasures. Being drunk, on the other hand, nah, not so much. The iron discipline you need when you have to admit you’ve had enough is no match for the seductive lure of just one more. 

you are absolutely correct. whilst 4 - 6 pints is not enough for most people to get pished to the point of causing bother, it is pretty much the exact amount required to override the part of the brain that earlier said you would only have 4-6 pints because you don't want to get hammered and cause bother.

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

4 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

you are absolutely correct. whilst 4 - 6 pints is not enough for most people to get pished to the point of causing bother, it is pretty much the exact amount required to override the part of the brain that earlier said you would only have 4-6 pints because you don't want to get hammered and cause bother.

6 pints was a comfortable evening's drinking. After that. things could get a bit messy, however.

15 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

And therein lies the tipping point. There’s an optimum level of pleasure in 4-6 pints. (For me it’s one pint and 2-6 drams, I don’t  really like beer). But the discipline to say enough is enough is almost visibly eroding before your eyes. Do you care? Aye right. 

I've always been ok knowing when I've had enough. I think I've only twice been drunk to the point where I forget parts of the evening. Both those times I was 15. When I have a drink now I know when to call it quits.