Unpopular opinions.

18 hours ago, velo army said:

Wales are not, by any stretch of the imagination, close neighbours. It takes fucking ages to get there (and if you do drive there make sure you stop off at the pricey but impeccable Gloucester Services).

It is just bitter jealousy. I hate that they're better than us, but celebrated wildly in an unpronounceable bar in Cardiff when they beat Belgium. Stunning result.

If you're coming from Scotland and stop at Gloucester services you're about 3 1/2 hours past the first turn off for Wales. Good services though and probably worth bypassing the hovels of Deeside, Wrexham et all to pay £6 for an organic local bacon roll. 

Just now, coprolite said:

If you're coming from Scotland and stop at Gloucester services you're about 3 1/2 hours past the first turn off for Wales. Good services though and probably worth bypassing the hovels of Deeside, Wrexham et all to pay £6 for an organic local bacon roll. 

I had no idea it was that far out the way. I got driven back to Glasgow from Cardiff and we stopped off there.

Very fine bacon roll though. Very fine.

43 minutes ago, velo army said:

I had no idea it was that far out the way. I got driven back to Glasgow from Cardiff and we stopped off there.

Very fine bacon roll though. Very fine.

It's only that far out if you're heading South from Scotland to Wales - it sounds like you were going the other way (settle down Kenneth).

19 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Their national team is not even representative of Wales, given that English clubs bankroll, scout, develop and train a literal 100% of their players for the entirety of their footballing lives. Their future is fully dependant on how English football youth development is going. If it goes tits up, so do Wales. Its a pretty sad state of affairs if you ask me.

Yep, this is part of it for me.

I am mid 50s, and growing up Welsh Rugby was the only sport there.

As you point out, Wales has no footballing infrastructure to speak of and doesnt develop youth players.

Welsh people rarely attend league fitba (outside of Swans and Cardiff) but have gone wild over the national team, hardly any of whom have ever played there.

Looking for the equivalent knobber up here, its the "rugby fan" who doesnt go to matches, but goes to Murrayfield to watch the 6 Nations a few times a year.

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I'm still bitter at Cluggers Quay Gonads kicking Edinburgh City off the pitch in a Challenge Cup Semi-Final with tactics that would have shamed an Ayrshire Junior team. 

And they were from North Wales where the proper Taffs come from. 

Aw man did you have to mention that lot, to be fair we were rubbish against them but it still hurts.

On the Welsh thing I like Gruff Rhys.

Scott was born in Wales.

If it were not for his complete and utter lack of interest or ability, he could play football or rugby for them.

I do have a photo of him in a Wales strip, aged about 9 months old. 

Can also put me down for feeling absolutely nothing, good or bad, towards wales or the Welsh. 

Hal robson kanu’s turn and goal against Belgium though was a really iconic moment though. 

I’ve only ever been to Wales twice. One to Cardiff to examine a PhD which was shite, the other time for my best mates wedding. I was horrendously drunk, woke up the next day and fell asleep in a McDonalds car park which ran my battery flat. A kind Welsh taxi driver gave me a jump start (steady on) and stated “us Celts need to stick together”. 

17 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I’ve only ever been to Wales twice. One to Cardiff to examine a PhD which was shite, the other time for my best mates wedding. I was horrendously drunk, woke up the next day and fell asleep in a McDonalds car park which ran my battery flat. A kind Welsh taxi driver gave me a jump start (steady on) and stated “us Celtics need to stick together”. 

Big team found

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I’ve only ever been to Wales twice. One to Cardiff to examine a PhD which was shite

^^^ Phoebe Buffay

Spoiler

3566536a41c798b7717c6ac26646b3970f4114bf

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I’ve only ever been to Wales twice. One to Cardiff to examine a PhD which was shite, 

Aha! He's been pretending to be a concrete magnate all this time but in fact he's actually the infamous Professor of "Work Colleagues" thread fame. 

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Aha! He's been pretending to be a concrete magnate all this time but in fact he's actually the infamous Professor of "Work Colleagues" thread fame. 

I always suspected...

13 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I’ve only ever been to Wales twice. One to Cardiff to examine a PhD which was shite, 

Hang on...I got my PhD in Cardiff, and had my viva there...

thinking-think.gif