Unpopular opinions.

10 hours ago, virginton said:

'bravely disclosing' an ADHD diagnosis.

Listening to podcasts all day as I tend to do at work, I can tell a mile off that this revelation by some bitter, washed up middle aged comic or entertainer is on the way. 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319841 

I know a number of people who have been diagnosed with ADHD as adults in the last couple of years. There seem to be quite a few disorders like this that are very much in vogue. Perhaps I’m being cynical but the fact that the medication you get for it has what some people consider positive side effects might have something to do with it.

Another example of a modern ailment that gets pushed due to drug seeking is low testosterone. I know a couple of people who have been diagnosed with this due to hugely spurious private ‘clinics’ giving them an online check. The treatment has significant side effects especially when you go off it but I’m sure getting whacked with a load of exogenous testosterone feels pretty good.

11 hours ago, virginton said:

The deputy leader of Inverclyde Council got a front page splash this week in the local rag for 'bravely disclosing' an ADHD diagnosis. Discarding the usual, unquantifiable bullshit like 'brain fog', the tangible effects of this crippling obstacle amounts to, err, having to take lots of notes at council meetings. 

The reality is that she visited an educational psychologist - psychologists being the lightly regulated, quack discipline of medicine - and got a purely self-affirming 'diagnosis' in exchange for a healthy fee. 

See also the increasingly widespread diagnosis of 'anxiety' - not some demonstrable, extreme anxiety disorder: just generic 'anxiety' in younger people (early 20s and younger) as an Issue Which Needs Accomodation. That generation are only responding naturally to the cues given to them by adult society about how to game the system in their short-term favour and avoid leaving their comfort zone, but are setting themselves up for much greater failure in the future. 

There was a documentary on BBC 1 recently looking at private clinics. Guy went through full NHS assessment and wasn't ADHD but two private clinics diagnosed him in under an hour. Then benefited from the recurring cost of writing the prescriptions.

When I was discussing asking for ASD assesment I said I was very aware of growing trendiness. Nurse was saying a huge percentage early 20's are coming through door looking for a label, ADHD being popular.

In my very basic observation of society there seems be a growing view of a child being the parents wee prince or princess and being their bestie. Not putting rules and boundaries in place may be easy for the parent but the consequences are then seen in nurseries/schools etc.

My youngest is waiting assesment, I've learnt what is meltdown/can't cope and what is being a wee shit. She's been told several times that I accept she may well be ASD however there is still behaviour that's just unacceptable.

11 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I know a number of people who have been diagnosed with ADHD as adults in the last couple of years. There seem to be quite a few disorders like this that are very much in vogue. Perhaps I’m being cynical but the fact that the medication you get for it has what some people consider positive side effects might have something to do with it.

Another example of a modern ailment that gets pushed due to drug seeking is low testosterone. I know a couple of people who have been diagnosed with this due to hugely spurious private ‘clinics’ giving them an online check. The treatment has significant side effects especially when you go off it but I’m sure getting whacked with a load of exogenous testosterone feels pretty good.

It's like VAR. The technology and minute accuracy of tests allows experts to make decisions they couldn't have before. You can be a millimetre offside and it'll get picked up. You can be on whatever spectrum at a minimal level and it'll get identified and diagnosed. Previously you were just thick/a c**t.

38 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's like VAR. The technology and minute accuracy of tests allows experts to make decisions they couldn't have before. You can be a millimetre offside and it'll get picked up. You can be on whatever spectrum at a minimal level and it'll get identified and diagnosed. Previously you were just thick/a c**t.

We have a family friend who is a teacher in a special needs school and they once remarked about the increasing prevalence of autism diagnosis - the kids they worked with were severely disabled and often unable to communicate. Now you have kids at a much lower level being diagnosed, with a spectrum within that of kids who have meltdowns and can’t cope with over stimulation to kids who are just obsessed with Dr Who. 

I was born in 1980 and in school until 1998 and there were a few kids who looking back would clearly meet a diagnosis for Asperger’s or autism spectrum disorder etc. Maybe kids like that have easier lives in school now, maybe too many are swept up in it. I also know that there is huge anxiety among parents about their kids being on target for milestones and normal, in many many different ways so I bet that drives some of it.

The wife works in an additional needs setting and they recently had a bit of a training course where she basically, in layman's terms, described it to me that it was about studies into how early years parental neglect can contribute to autism. When you think about it, brain development is happening at such a rate when young and parents have a big role in that. I'm not sure that autism can be "caused", but it certainly seems to be the theory that it can made much much worse by shite parenting in those early years.

One of the saddest things about it was an example used where someone was doing studies in the effect of the parent denying eye contact to their baby. 

I'm sceptical that parental neglect contributes to autism since autism is a neurological processing difference, but it undoubtedly contributes to malformed personality and resultant behavioural issues. I have no doubt that autistic children whose parents are neglectful will display different behaviours, possibly magnified disfunction, to those who have decent parents, but that's true of any child regardless of autism, so if anything I would say that it's a case of neglect leading to bigger behavioural issues in all children, and not necessarily anything to do with autism at all.

42 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The wife works in an additional needs setting and they recently had a bit of a training course where she basically, in layman's terms, described it to me that it was about studies into how early years parental neglect can contribute to autism. When you think about it, brain development is happening at such a rate when young and parents have a big role in that. I'm not sure that autism can be "caused", but it certainly seems to be the theory that it can made much much worse by shite parenting in those early years.

One of the saddest things about it was an example used where someone was doing studies in the effect of the parent denying eye contact to their baby. 

The term "refrigerator mother" was coined by Austrian psychiatrist Leo Kanner in the 1940s to describe a mother whose cold, uncaring style so traumatized her child that they retreated into autism.1 The concept caused enormous pain for many families for decades before it was debunked.

21 hours ago, virginton said:

The deputy leader of Inverclyde Council got a front page splash this week in the local rag for 'bravely disclosing' an ADHD diagnosis. Discarding the usual, unquantifiable bullshit like 'brain fog', the tangible effects of this crippling obstacle amounts to, err, having to take lots of notes at council meetings. 

The reality is that she visited an educational psychologist - psychologists being the lightly regulated, quack discipline of medicine - and got a purely self-affirming 'diagnosis' in exchange for a healthy fee. 

See also the increasingly widespread diagnosis of 'anxiety' - not some demonstrable, extreme anxiety disorder: just generic 'anxiety' in younger people (early 20s and younger) as an Issue Which Needs Accomodation. That generation are only responding naturally to the cues given to them by adult society about how to game the system in their short-term favour and avoid leaving their comfort zone, but are setting themselves up for much greater failure in the future. 

Some woman on Tiktok (I think) got absolutely torn to shreds (by people with ADHD) for saying that "Time Blindness" related to ADHD should be accommodated for by Workplaces.

In other words... "I don't know how to set an alarm..."

a lot of people with ADHD/"Time Blindness" called her out for her pish and told her it was as simple as setting an alarm...

But no. "I have something wrong different with me, so the rules have to be bent around me." Odd.

Not as bad as people claiming things like math and getting to work on time are "racist", mind you.

On 26/08/2023 at 10:13, ICTChris said:

Now you have kids at a much lower level being diagnosed, with a spectrum within that of kids who have meltdowns and can’t cope with over stimulation to kids who are just obsessed with Dr Who.

My step daughter is doing this. Her eldest is "waiting on his diagnosis". 

The symptoms? Meltdowns at school, getting obsessed with some of his toys, and having trouble getting to sleep. 

Nowt to do with her utterly pish parenting, and the dad of her kids being a complete waste of space. 

Theres an increasing tendency by fannys nowadays to treat pet dugs like they are actual human children. Im not just talking about spoiling them or bring paranoid about foreigners in vans.. Theres the ones who will barely ever leave them unsupervised at home, talking about not being able to go out for long for having to get back for them, what the f**k ever happened to just leaving the dug out the back gairden or even the kitchen and asking a neighbour to let it out for a shite? The worlds gawn mad!

3 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Theres an increasing tendency by fannys nowadays to treat pet dugs like they are actual human children. Im not just talking about spoiling them or bring paranoid about foreigners in vans.. Theres the ones who will barely ever leave them unsupervised at home, talking about not being able to go out for long for having to get back for them, what the f**k ever happened to just leaving the dug out the back gairden or even the kitchen and asking a neighbour to let it out for a shite? The worlds gawn mad!

Don't get a dog please 👍

I heard a thing (possibly on forth one) this morning, talking about someone who has full birthday parties for their dogs, complete with invites for the other dogs. Don’t get me wrong, dogs are sound wee c***s, but i find it all a bit strange. 

2 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

I heard a thing (possibly on forth one) this morning, talking about someone who has full birthday parties for their dogs, complete with invites for the other dogs. Don’t get me wrong, dogs are sound wee c***s, but i find it all a bit strange. 

@effeffsee_the2nd's wife, I think.