Unpopular opinions.

15 minutes ago, Swarley said:

"I don’t understand the popularity of Bob Mortimer. I’ve never seen anything he’s done that would merit the level of popularity he gets."

image.png.3b7c9dc6168ec8c1f85ec369390555b6.png

He likes to mock Sunderland a lot and goes fishing sometimes. He also mentioned Castle Douglas once. That’s about all I’ve seen. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Hogmanay / New Year is overrated shite.

Used to be tremendous. In the 80s and early 90s, seeing in the bells then going first footing was great. I remember one year the neighbours all ended up at our house, loads of people listening to Jive Bunny on the record player and having a drink. 

I don't know why but in the mid 90s it all died out.

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Used to be tremendous. In the 80s and early 90s, seeing in the bells then going first footing was great. I remember one year the neighbours all ended up at our house, loads of people listening to Jive Bunny on the record player and having a drink. 

Playstations IMO.

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Hogmanay / New Year is overrated shite.

Agreed.......although last night was probably the best I have had for 10 years or so, very relaxed night.

We had friends round, and their kids and ours are all adults now, and by chance were all going to be in the area in the evening - so we organised some fizz, grub, music and games, was a really good laugh.

Then on to Bruntsfield Links to watch the fireworks as it was a nice dry night.

Was great fun out on the links, a party atmosphere, everyone had bevvies  - then my son caught up with some of his mates and went away for an hour or two while the oldies went back to our place for a cuppa and a bit of cake.

All in all a lovely night, in bed by 3 and a world away from that corporate shite taking place for the tourists on Princes St etc.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

The universal response to Hogmanay now seems to be “meh”.

I had thought this was due to me getting older but are young people into Hogmanay?

It’s just another thing getting phased out. I think millennials like us who sat through the y2k hype when we were young have seen the slow decline of interest in it throughout our adult years and seen what a pointless thing it is to “celebrate”.

It comes at an awful time of year for a wild party as well, we have mostly been off work and in the house for the past 10 days sitting about drinking and eating shit the last thing any of us need is another blow out.

I have had numerous shit new years, only one fun time I can remember was when we were in New Zealand 2012/13.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

It’s just another thing getting phased out. I think millennials like us who sat through the y2k hype when we were young have seen the slow decline of interest in it throughout our adult years and seen what a pointless thing it is to “celebrate”.

It comes at an awful time of year for a wild party as well, we have mostly been off work and in the house for the past 10 days sitting about drinking and eating shit the last thing any of us need is another blow out.

I have had numerous shit new years, only one fun time I can remember was when we were in New Zealand 2012/13.

I live in the Highlands & Hogmanay was always a good community get together. Unfortunately, imho our communities are not like what they were & because of that they don't celebrate together, not like they used to. 

Edited by Sensible Soccer🏴

Went to my local for the bells last night and the place was absolutely dead.  The fact that they somehow booked a fictitious band that never even existed for their 'party' probably didn't help matters.

2 hours ago, throbber said:

Totally this.

The world calendar should now be rearranged to align with my purposes and wishes.

New Year should now fall as we move from June to July.  This would divorce it from Christmas and make it a summer celebration in the hemisphere where I happen to live.

It would also align the calendar year with the academic year and the football season. 

It's the very least they should do.

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Aye that's a real mystery