The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Look m8 unlike our board I'd like to see us get out of this league in the near future. We'll never do that if we keep selling our best players and not reinvesting the cash in some quality players.  You may be happy at losing players like vaulks and replacing them with the usual journeymen and that's your prerogative but I'm not and that's mine. Yes players move on but we need to reinvest the cash in the team now that we no longer have money issues.

Money is being reinvested though. Many of our current squad have signed new contracts in the last couple of years and it's a reasonable assumption that their wages will increase each time we do that.  I'm pretty sure it was announced that we paid transfer fees for a couple of the recent acquisitions too. When was the last time we did that? Alan Gow?

Money is being reinvested though. Many of our current squad have signed new contracts in the last couple of years and it's a reasonable assumption that their wages will increase each time we do that.  I'm pretty sure it was announced that we paid transfer fees for a couple of the recent acquisitions too. When was the last time we did that? Alan Gow?

Johnny Flynn....(Shudders)

2 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

This is bonus money and should be reinvested in full on a couple of players to excite the fans not ones at the tail end of their career or raw youngsters. Problem is a lot of the options are now signed up but that's the problem with selling players once the season has started.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Will give Rankin like any other new signings a chance before commenting. Didn't see much of Dundee Utd last season so not sure how he was for them. Vaulks deserved his move so good luck to him but one player leaving does not plunge us into chaos. Houstie hopefully has his eye on further signings and even if he doesn't we have a decent squad.

Keep the faith COYB

10 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

This is bonus money and should be reinvested in full on a couple of players to excite the fans not ones at the tail end of their career or raw youngsters. Problem is a lot of the options are now signed up but that's the problem with selling players once the season has started.

Unfortunately the club don't have any control over when bids come in and the one that took Vaulks away wasn't on the table before the season began.

As for raw youngsters, Vaulks was 19 when he arrived. The same age that Liam Henderson is now. We have no way of knowing whether he'll turn out just as good as his former teammate. And despite what has been posted previously on this thread, Henderson was signed for the first team and not the U20s. Is it possible we already have the replacement for Vaulks on our books, with Rankin a short-term stopgap until the younger player gets up to speed?

I don't know. I do know that during the 36 years I've been watching Falkirk, our best players have either been ones at the "tail end of their career or raw youngsters". (Stainrod, Latapy, McAllister, Kerr etc). That's the market we traditionally operate in. It hasn't stopped us being reasonably successful.

And on a slightly different note, I wouldn't rule out some of the U20 midfielders coming through in the near future. I watch them every week and I was very impressed by what I saw of (Scotland Youth International) Reis Peggie last season. Cameron Blues may not be far away either.

30 minutes ago, McG said:

Falkirk looking weaker this season, Vaulks and Alston will be big misses.

Even without Vaulks, we'll be a stronger outfit this season than last. Alston has already been replaced.

Would be very surprised if we didn't improve on last seasons points total.

Even without Vaulks, we'll be a stronger outfit this season than last. Alston has already been replaced.

Would be very surprised if we didn't improve on last seasons points total.

You still have a decent squad but I just think Vaulks and Alston will be big misses.

Rankin is a decent signing, should do a job at this level.

33 minutes ago, Trump said:

Alston > Craigen

Yeah and vaulks is better than rankin. When grants back we'll be stronger at the back but we've not got the same energy in the side with those two out. A centre midfield of rankin and kerr is a bit worrying. Even the club are admitting it's a massive blow losing vaulks.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

I think we are stronger at the back this season but with vaulks and Alston going weaker in the middle due to losing their goals but more importantly drive and energy. Think we are about the same up front as last season. Overall apart from the defence I'm disappointed that we've gone backwards over the close season. Others have strengthened and I'm not sure we can work the miracles we did last season. I was hoping Houston was going to get mackay Stephen on loan but alas that may be our last signing now....rankin can't be chewing up the vaulks fee and wages?

Not good for the team, but I am happy for Will, deserves a chance in a bigger league. But of all the teams and managers in the world we have to give him to fucking stubbs! That big p***k could have robbed hibs instead of us, I would have sold him for £50K less to almost anyone else.

I think we are stronger at the back this season but with vaulks and Alston going weaker in the middle due to losing their goals but more importantly drive and energy. Think we are about the same up front as last season. Overall apart from the defence I'm disappointed that we've gone backwards over the close season. Others have strengthened and I'm not sure we can work the miracles we did last season. I was hoping Houston was going to get mackay Stephen on loan but alas that may be our last signing now....rankin can't be chewing up the vaulks fee and wages?

Nah Mackay-Steven is definitely signing bro.