The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, kirkcaldybanjo111 said:

I think you guys will be impressed with craigen once he settles in.Hes a cracking player when hes on song .If theres one critisism of him he sometimes disappears during games but then pops up with usually spectacular goals.

Have you just described Alston or Craigen?

1 of our posters was asking what he brings to the team? The answer is a 2 footed Blair.

Latapy was older, not that Rankin is a Latapy. It's a safe option for me, I'm sure he won't let us down. Would you rather we just used Henderson as a replacement ?

I think the majority thot Kerr wasn't needed, Taiwo and Vaulks were working pretty well pre to Kerr coming in, sure we were 3,4 wins on the trot and then Kerr shoehorned in for a 0-0 I think home to Alloa.

I'd actually be more concerned over Kerr, he tired easily at the end of the season and its another year on, he'll be 35 when season ends. One thing I love about Kerr is his constant moaning, recall him taking the face off Muirhead for not passing it to him and it continuing 10 mins later...!!

Aye lol, I remember it well, then again he did it most weeks. I think the team needs drive and energy, I'm not saying Rankin will not be useful now and again but I can't see him busting a gut from to go from box to box.

Vaulks to me epitomised what the modern day footballer is all about, drive, determination, athleticism and a true professional who understood his role not only on the football team but also on a wider scale within the community.

Vaulks is the best all round player we've had for ages. For a club like us he's pretty much irreplaceable short term.

It took Vaulks a couple of seasons to get to that level - hopefully there's someone already at the club or someone about to be brought in that can do the same.

59 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

Aye lol, I remember it well, then again he did it most weeks. I think the team needs drive and energy, I'm not saying Rankin will not be useful now and again but I can't see him busting a gut from to go from box to box.

Vaulks to me epitomised what the modern day footballer is all about, drive, determination, athleticism and a true professional who understood his role not only on the football team but also on a wider scale within the community.

Great guy too. Used to go in to visit big Gordy in hospital regularly and I'm sure will again.

5 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'd have preferred us to take a wee bit more time over vaulks wage replacement than signing rankin up straight away. Especially when that would appear to be it.Could even have been a few loan options out there. Can't help feeling that the rankin signing was pushed in simply to placate the fans over vaulks sale.

As I've said, it's the easy option, he'd been training with us, houstie knows him, decent pedigree and we tried to sign him yrs ago for around 80k. 

I'd rather have players signed earlier than later, don't see it as much a risk as signing someone who doesnt covers the above.

3 hours ago, bejazz1 said:

But Rankin is not signed to be Vaulks, in some points Rankin does the simple things better than Vaulks, been a few times where Vaulks couldn't do the simple things in midfield as in short passes,touches which resulted in him being subbed. He should've been subbed in the game I mentioned earlier in regarding Houstie being too soft and having his favourites. I'm Vaulks biggest fan, being a Tranmere player, me being a Tranmere fan, posting about him Tranmere forums and it being my biggest fear after the killie game he'd be gone. He is by far gonna be a miss, but you gotta look forward not back and enjoy the period he was with us, in which like all the Bairns that leave, I follow how they do when they leave..... Higginbotham can gtf now tho !!

12 hours ago, kirkcaldybanjo111 said:

I think you guys will be impressed with craigen once he settles in.Hes a cracking player when hes on song .If theres one critisism of him he sometimes disappears during games but then pops up with usually spectacular goals.

So exactly like Alston then.

24 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

So exactly like Alston then.

I don't think hes quite got the drive Alston has. He looks very one paced(like the majority of our players unfortunately) and whilst Alston wasn't electric he could motor once he got up to speed.

The question over Rankin for me is whether he adds anything to the team we dont already have. We already have Kerr as the experienced midfielder who does the simple things well and I presume that Henderson has also been signed as a holding midfielder. We're crying out for an eddie may/stuart taylor type midfielder but for some reason we've signed Rankin. Decent competition for Kerr but to me he's not improving the side from last year or adding something that was missing apart from more cover. 

On a positive note at least it looks like we got more cash for Vaulks than Dundee got for Kane Hemmings which is good going considering he was playing in the championship and Hemmings was one of the top scorers in the premier last season. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Can't help feeling this is last chance saloon time for the boy. His previous loan spells have been pretty unremarkable at levels he should be standing out at if hes ever going to make it with us. I thought he looked slightly more interested towards the end of last season but nothing special. Surely he'll be punted if he doesn't do something of note at stenny.

I get that's he's probably not going to make it at the club but he is still on the books and would have made a decent impact sub for us in an area we're not well stocked in like he did at the tail end of last season. Like you say, probably should have been released but if he is still a Falkirk player we might as well get some use out of him.

Hope he kicks on right enough.

1 hour ago, ilostmyself said:
1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Shepherd should've been released, he's never going to make it and is clearly not part of Houston's plans.

Why would we release someone who's under contract? You'ld almost certainly have to pay him his full salary to get him to leave unless he waived his right to it. I wouldn't.

Better to keep him as part of the squad where he may be needed. He was needed last year, when we recalled him from his loan at Brechin, and he set up two goals. One of them gave us three points instead of one at Raith Rovers and without it we wouldn't have finished second. The other goal set us on our way to beat Hibs in that glorious "GIRFUY Stubbs" night in May. 8)

He may yet have a contribution to make. As for that matter may our much-maligned captain.

If we have to pay them, keep them at the club and let's see what they can do for us.

I get that's he's probably not going to make it at the club but he is still on the books and would have made a decent impact sub for us in an area we're not well stocked in like he did at the tail end of last season. Like you say, probably should have been released but if he is still a Falkirk player we might as well get some use out of him.

Hope he kicks on right enough.

This.

Getting upset because Sheps pace is going out on loan is conveniently missing some other, major points.

Chief among which being he is not good enough.

Not sure he's ever been a decent impact sub other than his debut against Dundee. He isn't good enough for us but as long as he's on the wage bill let's try and get the best out of him, even if that means sending him out on loan again.