The Falkirk FC Thread

The fixtures on paper for the final three games of the first round look favourable to us versus the other clubs around us. We have ayr St mirren and the pars. Hibs have the other top three in qos Dundee utd and Raith. So they all have each other to play we just need to capitalise on this which is never easy in this league. Ayr winning at hibs will give them a boost and St mirren getting a new manager will give them a boost. Pars might raise their fame for the Derby. On paper though we have a chance to make up ground after what looked like a poor start. Will he interesting to see league table after nine games.

On 18/09/2016 at 13:35, Marshmallo said:

Were you not on the board at one stage BPM? I have no clue what the Memorandum and Articles would say but surprised that you wouldn't.

No - thank God

On 18/09/2016 at 13:56, Skyline Drifter said:

I work with companies and directors every day. The next time I come across one who has read the Memorandum and Articles of their own company will almost certainly be the first time.

Interesting because they are dull.

I sit on a company's Board who are just about to change theirs at their up coming AGM. It is not an easy job to get these changed.

On 18/09/2016 at 13:02, Marshmallo said:

I'd probably have taken Murdoch ahead of Rankin but there's absolutely no point now.

Again, another player released by a club 30 miles down the road. Where's the inspired signings?

Does it matter it they are 5 minutes away or miles away if they are good enough?

Rankin will turn into a great signing IMO.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Nope. It becomes an issue when there's players 5 minutes away who are pish and players further afield who could be better.

Apart from his first season when he brought in dross like Boulding, Tudur-Jones and Morgan, Houston doesn't make seem to make many pish signings.

Most of them are solid. If you look at this season's recruitment as an example, nobody could say that Rankin, Henderson, Kidd, Austin, Craigen, Gasparotto & Rogers are pish. All have shown signs of being useful acquisitions, even if they haven't yet done it consistently.  

I don't think you could call the likes of Kerr, Miller, Baird or McHugh inspired, but by f**k have they all given us orgasmic moments of magic in the last two years.

Houston may go for "safe" signings who can do a job but surely that's better than pulling in exciting unknowns from further afield such as Rakish Bingham, Olu Durojaiye, Rhys Bennett, Mehdi Khalis or Andy Haworth.

The ginger god doesn't appear to be a gambler. Instead he's taking the safe and boring option, but in my opinion it's paying off for him. As multiple victories over "bigger" clubs over the last few years demonstrates.

In Houston I trust.

Apart from his first season when he brought in dross like Boulding, Tudur-Jones and Morgan, Houston doesn't make seem to make many pish signings.

Most of them are solid. If you look at this season's recruitment as an example, nobody could say that Rankin, Henderson, Kidd, Austin, Craigen, Gasparotto & Rogers are pish. All have shown signs of being useful acquisitions, even if they haven't yet done it consistently.  

I don't think you could call the likes of Kerr, Miller, Baird or McHugh inspired, but by f**k have they all given us orgasmic moments of magic in the last two years.

Houston may go for "safe" signings who can do a job but surely that's better than pulling in exciting unknowns from further afield such as Rakish Bingham, Olu Durojaiye, Rhys Bennett, Mehdi Khalis or Andy Haworth.

The ginger god doesn't appear to be a gambler. Instead he's taking the safe and boring option, but in my opinion it's paying off for him. As multiple victories over "bigger" clubs over the last few years demonstrates.

In Houston I trust.

I don't think many could argue with your comments. My own opinion is that we proved last year we were not physical enough in the play off at Kilmarnock. We have done little to change that unless that has still to come in the January window if we are still in the hunt.

This is not a negative comment just realistic

26 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

I don't think many could argue with your comments. My own opinion is that we proved last year we were not physical enough in the play off at Kilmarnock. We have done little to change that unless that has still to come in the January window if we are still in the hunt.

If we get to this year's playoff final we only need to avoid the giantic freaks of Killie. Not every Premiership diddy is made up of humongous giants.

8 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

If we get to this year's playoff final we only need to avoid the giantic freaks of Killie. Not every Premiership diddy is made up of humongous giants.

But most if not all are either faster or stronger than us. We're bang average in both those physical areas as a team, I think we're above average in possession which is why we will return to the playoffs. Kilmarnock didn't just bully us off the ball everytime, Magennis and Obadeyi also ran past our full backs at will and there is no reason to believe that wouldn't repeat itself.

Obadeyi at the weekend confirmed he struggles to do anything but run straight on and yet got a goal simply because he got in behind. Theres surely someone else knocking about as a free agent who can run fast without causing an accident.

Magennis was Killie's best player by a mile last season (if he'd been fit for the whole season they wouldn't have been 11th)

Nothing to fear from the Premiership side this season if we make it to the play off final. Of course going up automatically is preferable. 

52 minutes ago, east fife for life said:

I see Austin isn't getting a look in at the moment, too big a step up and struggling or what?

He wasn't signed to be thrown upfront straight away. We have 3 perfectly good strikers already who are all ahead of him in the queue.

Austin seems to be doing a marvelous job in the development team. I'd suggest asking Bainsford Bairn or Gav for more details though.

1 hour ago, ilostmyself said:

I agree with the pace comment, there seems to be a moment in every game where the opposition have got in behind our fullbacks and sent the ball across the goal. Happened about 4 times at the start of the Dumbarton game.

I tend to find our defence takes a while to warm up. 

We seem to have teams getting in behind us no problem early doors but by the 2nd half we are motoring.

I'm very hopeful Peter Grant will stop all that soon enough.

13 hours ago, bejazz1 said:

The Kilmarnock game where around 4 of our players were not fully fit ?

Our support are looking at one game where we failed in having to play with players who probably wouldve missed if it was a normal league game

4 hours ago, Gollum said:

But most if not all are either faster or stronger than us. We're bang average in both those physical areas as a team, I think we're above average in possession which is why we will return to the playoffs. Kilmarnock didn't just bully us off the ball everytime, Magennis and Obadeyi also ran past our full backs at will and there is no reason to believe that wouldn't repeat itself.

Obadeyi at the weekend confirmed he struggles to do anything but run straight on and yet got a goal simply because he got in behind. Theres surely someone else knocking about as a free agent who can run fast without causing an accident.

Obadeyi scored his goal due to bad defending not because of his pace, how many times did they score because of his pace on Saturday?

A large portion of our support has blamed our poor start on lack of pace, 4 wins on the trot without our goals scored with this dimension of pace we dont have and it still pace we need. All pace is good for is playing on the counter attack, then all that happens is teams get used to it and lie that bit deeper or double up, look at Michael O'Halloran as an example, he has a few games against teams using his pace to full effect, St Johnstone rub their hands getting £500,000 for a player who has had a few good games after failing lower league in England and now O'Halloran cant kick his own arse for Rangers.

One of most effective goals I seen for us last season was I think against Alloa, keeper kicks ball out from a corner directly to McHugh out wide, who then plays it into I think Baird, who then lays it off to Kerr to score....three passes and goal. Pass, move and awarness is more crucial than pace, pace is the cowards way out and can be defended on, see Bobby Barr previous week

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

The Kilmarnock game where around 4 of our players were not fully fit ?

Our support are looking at one game where we failed in having to play with players who probably wouldve missed if it was a normal league game

Obadeyi scored his goal due to bad defending not because of his pace, how many times did they score because of his pace on Saturday?

A large portion of our support has blamed our poor start on lack of pace, 4 wins on the trot without our goals scored with this dimension of pace we dont have and it still pace we need. All pace is good for is playing on the counter attack, then all that happens is teams get used to it and lie that bit deeper or double up, look at Michael O'Halloran as an example, he has a few games against teams using his pace to full effect, St Johnstone rub their hands getting £500,000 for a player who has had a few good games after failing lower league in England and now O'Halloran cant kick his own arse for Rangers.

One of most effective goals I seen for us last season was I think against Alloa, keeper kicks ball out from a corner directly to McHugh out wide, who then plays it into I think Baird, who then lays it off to Kerr to score....three passes and goal. Pass, move and awarness is more crucial than pace, pace is the cowards way out and can be defended on, see Bobby Barr previous week

Alston