The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

And Kevin Moffat!!

Moffat made a contribution to the history of FFC.

We played St Mirren in February 2009 and were losing 2-1 in Paisley with five minutes to go. Then wee Kevin got a header in the box and it came off Jack Ross' arm to give us a penalty which Arfield buried.

Had it not been for Moffat, Falkirk would have gone down in history as the first away team to lose a league game at Middens' new ground.

So show a wee bit of respect for Kevin Moffat if you please. :P

12 hours ago, PipoIsABairn said:

Hmm let's see what's more likely? Houston refused to play Aird due to him being a brainless sectarian biggot or because he was so good he was afraid to lose him for free.................

Enjoy your new signing Pars. Wouldn't expect much on the days after old firm games though when he turns up for training half cut with a fresh 1690 tattoo across his forehead still wearing a bright orange tracksuit. 

I'll take Harris thanks.

yup - I don't want anyone like that playing for my club. Bet you he scores against us though!

1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Fabulous team with Arfield, Wallner and Aafjes on the bench!

Remember thinking even during his brief cameo appearance that Wallner looked a player, would love to know what the problem was that stopped him getting a game.

This was the beginning of the end for the Gretna nonsense, absolutely pumped on day one and it didn't get any better for them.

Happy days - and some people still give Hughes no credit whatsoever for where he took us, including a cup final and almost top 6

2 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Fabulous team with Arfield, Wallner and Aafjes on the bench!

Remember thinking even during his brief cameo appearance that Wallner looked a player, would love to know what the problem was that stopped him getting a game.

This was the beginning of the end for the Gretna nonsense, absolutely pumped on day one and it didn't get any better for them.

Hughes just seemed to take an immediate dislike to some players after signing them. Again Denzil Theobold was good enough to play in a world cup finals and get 90 odd caps for t&t but couldnt get a sniff with us. I mean its not as if either of them played a few games and were mince they never even really got a chance. God knows how much we pished down the drain on wages on players like that pair.

Hughes just seemed to take an immediate dislike to some players after signing them. Again Denzil Theobold was good enough to play in a world cup finals and get 90 odd caps for t&t but couldnt get a sniff with us. I mean its not as if either of them played a few games and were mince they never even really got a chance. God knows how much we pished down the drain on wages on players like that pair.

Was there not an utterly dodgy keeper who Trinidad and Tobago had who played for Dundee? He was absolutely gubbins aswell.

I'm not saying that everyone who played for them was shite, but evidently playing in the world cup finals with them wasn't necessarily the sign of a great player.

9 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Was there not an utterly dodgy keeper who Trinidad and Tobago had who played for Dundee? He was absolutely gubbins aswell.

I'm not saying that everyone who played for them was shite, but evidently playing in the world cup finals with them wasn't necessarily the sign of a great player.

Shaka Hislop was their first choice keeper and he played in the premier. I think Kelvin Jack was his back up.

I'm not saying he'd have been a  great but he got more caps than the likes of Latapy and Yorke and was their 4th most capped player. The majority of other guys with that amount of caps were steady or pretty good players. Even the likes of Marvin Andrews wasnt the worst player in the world and would've got a game for most scottish sides when in his prime. The likes of stern john, kenwyn jones and carlos edwards were all pretty decent. I just find it strange that he never even got a kick when he was with us.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Shaka Hislop was their first choice keeper and he played in the premier. I think Kelvin Jack was his back up.

I'm not saying he'd have been a  great but he got more caps than the likes of Latapy and Yorke and was their 4th most capped player. The majority of other guys with that amount of caps were steady or pretty good players. Even the likes of Marvin Andrews wasnt the worst player in the world and would've got a game for most scottish sides when in his prime. The likes of stern john, kenwyn jones and carlos edwards were all pretty decent. I just find it strange that he never even got a kick when he was with us.

Kelvin Jack was 1st choice for Trinidad with Shaka being the back-up at the 2006 WC. Kelvin Jack had a history of pretending to be injured though so thankfully Shaka wasn't deprived of getting game time at the WC as Jack got 'injured' in the warm up of their first game against England. Kelvin Jack was one of the worst keepers I've ever seen at Dens. Truly bewildering how he managed to keep Shaka out the side.

ETA: Hislop only managed to collect 26 caps compared to Jack's 33.

1 hour ago, Ellonbairn said:

Happy days - and some people still give Hughes no credit whatsoever for where he took us, including a cup final and almost top 6

Almost isn't an achievement...

Its the last seasons events which took our club 3 yr to recover from in bringing the club back to the fans. It was us and them for a long time, never mind the financial mess, tho we had a managing director signing anything, which gives Hughes some leeway, but he signed players on big bucks who had no resale or clubs willing to take them off our hands when it was clear they didn't improve us.

Hughes gets 100% respect as a player, his management not as high on the spectrum due to the start and the end, tho it was bad season, good season, bad season, good season, bad season and that pattern has followed him.

1 minute ago, MrDust said:

Its the last seasons events which took our club 3 yr to recover from in bringing the club back to the fans. It was us and them for a long time, never mind the financial mess, tho we had a managing director signing anything, which gives Hughes some leeway, but he signed players on big bucks who had no resale or clubs willing to take them off our hands when it was clear they didn't improve us.

Hughes gets 100% respect as a player, his management not as high on the spectrum due to the start and the end, tho it was bad season, good season, bad season, good season, bad season and that pattern has followed him.

I'd even change it to good first half of a season, bad second half of the season for the vast majority of his seasons in charge. It would be interesting to know the number of games played and won between january and the split in all his seasons in charge. He  did similar at Hibs who he had flying up til xmas and then murder after.

3 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Don't know why Hughes gets any stick from Falkirk fans. Miles better than May, Holt or Pressley.

Can't disagree with that, however he did have far bigger budgets to work with relatively speaking.

Think MrDust hit the nail on the head of it also a lot of Yogis ego came into play especially when he started whoring himself to the English clubs saying that's where he wanted to be not to mention the damage done by "the next level" .  He done well for us and achieved a lot but the same time he believed he was better than what he is.  Pretty sure there was an article not so long back probably about the time of the Raith job where i think it was his agent saying he couldn't get him a start anywhere and couldn't work out why.

2 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Don't know why Hughes gets any stick from Falkirk fans. Miles better than May, Holt or Pressley.

Jeffries on the whole had us playing better without the rewards, tho clubs in the Jeffries era where achieving more with more cash splashed.

Agent Jeffries tho done us proud in the demise of the pars

I found the Roman Wallner situation mystifying. He was an established player and had apparently been impressive when he was punted on loan to Hamilton. The suggestion at the time was he was brought in by the board and Yogi didnt like that so wouldnt pick him. His subsequent career proves he was more than good enough.

25 minutes ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

I found the Roman Wallner situation mystifying. He was an established player and had apparently been impressive when he was punted on loan to Hamilton. The suggestion at the time was he was brought in by the board and Yogi didnt like that so wouldnt pick him. His subsequent career proves he was more than good enough.

was it not a similar situation with pedro's return sandy paid for it but elvis wouldnt play him IIRC. maybe i was just blinded by my love for the guy

11 hours ago, MrDust said:

Bottom line is we were in the Premier. Dont give 2 f*cks about good season bad season. Not his fault about financial problems.