The Falkirk FC Thread

45 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Seems strange to me how hartley immediately signed a right back when he arrived nearly a year ago so he obviously saw that as a major weakness 

Shodwall, do you make up things as you go along?

First of all, he didn't immediately sign a right back. It took him six weeks. Hartley arrived on 9th October and Tumilty was brought in on 23rd November. If that's your definition of "immediate" then I'd hate to be standing beside you waiting on a bus. Longridge was actually his first signing at the end of October.  

Secondly, Tumilty was brought in to cover injuries, as was clearly explained (with quotes from Hartley) in the website story on the day he signed. That's why his initial loan was only for a month. They presumably decided to keep him for longer as he turned out to be competent. I'm speculating here, but I think that if Balatoni hadn't been injured for so long then it might even have been Tumilty who left in December.

9 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Shodwall, do you make up things as you go along?

First of all, he didn't immediately sign a right back. It took him six weeks. Hartley arrived on 9th October and Tumilty was brought in on 23rd November. If that's your definition of "immediate" then I'd hate to be standing beside you waiting on a bus. Longridge was actually his first signing at the end of October.  

Secondly, Tumilty was brought in to cover injuries, as was clearly explained (with quotes from Hartley) in the website story on the day he signed. That's why his initial loan was only for a month. They presumably decided to keep him for longer as he turned out to be competent. I'm speculating here, but I think that if Balatoni hadn't been injured for so long then it might even have been Tumilty who left in December.

He was competent which is more than i can say for muirhead in that role. At the end of the day weve signed 16 players and not one is a right back . Its a glaring weak spot in our team and yet out manager appears to be totally blinkered to it even though the right back who was excellent when winning the league last season was available for basically nowt from his old club.

Edited by Shodwall cat

4 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Feeling bad for the decent, sensible Falkirk fans here. You have some amount of knicker-wetters.

The same folk that were knicker wetting at this stage last season and were getting told to shut up. Of course we had nothing to worry about then either.lol

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

Should we not then be asking why we're bringing in 16 signings all at once when the managers been in place 11 months. Far too much short term thinking last season and other players being let go of when im still not convinced that there replacements are any better. Only one player kept on of all those signed last season and he struggles to get picked.  Seems strange to me how hartley immediately signed a right back when he arrived nearly a year ago so he obviously saw that as a major weakness and yet here we are stuck with the same two players that were in that position when he appeared.   I was never mad on tumilty but at least he was first and foremost a right back.  Poor forward planning has resulted in us flinging 16 strangers together and hoping that at least 11 of them are good enough to make a team that will win us promotion this season.  Huge gamble if you ask me and one that isnt looking odds on at the moment. Individually or as a team too many of those 16 look well off the pace.

I don't think he initially intended to have to sign so many. He probably thought that Sibbs would stay and that Longridge and Welsh would be happy to sign given that he took them when they weren't wanted. Personally I wouldn't have kept Welsh but Sibbs, aye, of course and Longridge I think is a very good player at this level. Add those to Robson, McGhee, Muirhead, McKee, Kidd & O'Hara then that's nine that would have been in place, although obviously some of those would be intended as squad fillers. I think he may have thought that he would get Jakubiak and Nelson back too.

2 hours ago, badgerthewitness said:

Can anyone provide examples of teams who started off utter dugshite then came good after the fabled 'gelling' phase? It's a concept I'm unfamiliar with. Thanks in advance.

We lost our first six games under Lomas yet finished the season in third. 

Sibbald was always going to go. He wanted to go last year but had to accept another season with us. He's so desperate to kick on he's gone to Livi, of all teams. 
Think that's mainly because Martindale can hook him up

4 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

3 wins, 4 defeats. What should our record be given the fixtures we've had?

Did we fully deserve or dominate the games in the 3 wins against seaside league teams and a youth team ?

I maybe deluded to.some but all four defeats so far were winnable games as far as I'm concerned.

3 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

So you're happy to point out that it's not just 2 league games it's 7 competitive games, yet completely dismiss the wins that we've had in 3 of them?

3 wins against seaside league teams and a colt team, sorry you are setting the bar low, considering we struggled to win the above 3 games

27/28 years ago. Does anyone have an example from the modern football era (post Bosman/tranfer window)? Doesn't have to be Falkirk, any level of senior Scottish football will do. Thanks.

QoS under McIntyre were bottom 3 or so around first quarter and ended up 4th, the only one I can think of as decent 

27/28 years ago. Does anyone have an example from the modern football era (post Bosman/tranfer window)? Doesn't have to be Falkirk, any level of senior Scottish football will do. Thanks.

Are we honestly saying you can't go up after a bad start, losing 2 or 3 games at the start and that's it? Ok we've had a bad start and we probably won't go up but this is getting ridiculous now!!

17 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Did we fully deserve or dominate the games in the 3 wins against seaside league teams and a youth team ?

I maybe deluded to.some but all four defeats so far were winnable games as far as I'm concerned.

3 wins against seaside league teams and a colt team, sorry you are setting the bar low, considering we struggled to win the above 3 games

QoS under McIntyre were bottom 3 or so around first quarter and ended up 4th, the only one I can think of as decent 

Yea, but the point is that many folk want to underline that it's not just 2 league games it's 7 competitive ones, which is fair enough. We haven't played at all well, either in defeat or in victory, but if we're to be judged on the 7 we've played we can't just ignore the ones that we've had positive results in.

If we'd beaten ICT and Partick while playing as badly as we did (not out of the question given how both games panned out)then I doubt there would be so much negativity. We need to grab any crumb of comfort that we can under the circumstances and the wins are exactly that. Hartley needs to try to build on that.

2 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

And you know that how?  Dunfermline signed beadling now an important part of their midfield. St mirren signed ryan flynn id take him over our lithuanian pal any day. Livi brought ryan hardie in and have him on loan still. Theres guys out there that we couldve signed and kept this season.

Irony alert!

Fuckin hell Shadwell.

26 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Are we honestly saying you can't go up after a bad start, losing 2 or 3 games at the start and that's it? Ok we've had a bad start and we probably won't go up but this is getting ridiculous now!!

I think 4 or 5 players will show significant improvement over the course of the season but I don't think that's enough to take us up.

This place fucking stinks. Really, Really badly and its the same clowns all the time regurgitating the same pish looking for any and every angle to have digs and bring it down and spout the 'I hope I'm wrong line' do you f**k. If you were you would make a point and leave it at that. Instead drumming in every possible doomsday scenario page after page to cover every base so the old 'I told you so' can be shouted out loud whilst wanking yourselves into frenzy.

6 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

This place fucking stinks. Really, Really badly and its the same clowns all the time regurgitating the same pish looking for any and every angle to have digs and bring it down and spout the 'I hope I'm wrong line' do you f**k. If you were you would make a point and leave it at that. Instead drumming in every possible doomsday scenario page after page to cover every base so the old 'I told you so' can be shouted out loud whilst wanking yourselves into frenzy.

On the other hand, if we get a result on Saturday I assume people like your good self will remind us how wrong we were & expect us to feel shit about it but, being Falkirk fans, we will indeed be wanking ourselves into the afore mentioned frenzy. Fucking win/win scenario tbh

Guest Back Post Misses
Maybe the board wouldn't give him approval to sign players for longer than the end of the season. He did offer 3 others contracts but they never took it.  
Honestly think you're delusional as you talk about everything like it's simple. You'll be asking why the board haven't found a multi millionaire willing to bank roll us next

Also Tumilty was a right wing back

There are two multi millionaires on the MSG.

Would you have taken a pay cut to resign with Falkirk after getting us out of last years shite to fund unproven players from England?

9 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

On the other hand, if we get a result on Saturday I assume people like your good self will remind us how wrong we were & expect us to feel shit about it but, being Falkirk fans, we will indeed be wanking ourselves into the afore mentioned frenzy. Fucking win/win scenario tbh

Not really, after that performance in the 6-1 win and then the inverness game after is proof enough not to get carried away. I've been supporting this club long enough to know it takes more than a couple of performances this way or that to make a conclusion on my thoughts for the team at the time. 

I see only Brough and Turner are unavailable Saturday, Haber prob start on the bench, but apart from him I'd like to see a positive change, both personnel and formation Saturday. I'm still finding it difficult to judge when there has been zero consistency except from a wild back 4 which I never want to see again. 

13 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Well, I for one, won't.

If we win it'll be something to build on but we can't just ignore that fact that we've been shit so far and expect everything to be rosy after one win.