The Falkirk FC Thread

On 18/08/2018 at 10:31, Bairnardo said:

The club will rebound, let's hope it will be under Hartley and soon. If the team continues to stutter on the pitch  then we need more than a new manager we need a new approach. We should only ever appoint managers and where possible players who are on the way up. It's a pretty simple formula but needs a board with guts and vision. The manager they appoint also needs to have the same guts and vision and even more " faith" in his ability. I'm not sure Hartley and the board are aligned or that Hartley has that faith anymore We need him to succeed and until there's no hope we should all support and pray that for everyone's sake we can turn this season around. The players many of whom have given up a lot to come here and buy into Hartley vision need that support until its evident they are not capable. The gloves need to come off and guys like TOE, Sammut petra etc need to play for the Jersey and show what their made off. They may or may not be good enough to win this league but one thing is certain they need to grow up accept some responsibility and fight for every scrap. If they give there all then we can't criticise them if there not good enough. But if they fail we need a new culture, the tea and scone club need to no the party is over and simply appointing another safe manager to deliver more mediocrity is not Good enough! 

Are some Falkirk fans not overstating the amount of time needed to build a competitive side at this level? He's had since January realistically to get himself ready and has roundly failed. The much maligned AJ has had to do similar, the only players who started against Hearts who we had before January was Ashcroft and Williamson, and only 3 players on the bench. With the amount of one year deals thrown at this level it's pretty common for squads to change over the summer. The reason for the poor start is due to his woeful recruitment, you'll be waiting some amount of time for that dross to come together and  compete for the promotion playoffs. 

12 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

PH in the herald sayin only brough and turner still injured, everyone else if fit.

Knowing the Herald, the whole bus has probably gone off a cliff. Shitey newspaper at the best of times. 

Guest Back Post Misses
How long have you been supporting Falkirk? What really are your expectations of the club?

I've been watching Falkirk for 50 years. I've occasionally seen us reach a decent level, like under Willie Cunningham and Jim Jeffries and seen us win a few lower league titles. I've also seen us reach 3 SC finals and, one time, even watched as we made a real go of it at the top end of the top league for a while. These were high spots over that 50 year period. In general though we've been a bottom of the top/top of the second league type of team. At the moment we're going through a lengthy downturn, in that we haven't been promoted for a while, however, for most of that time we've been challenging at the top end of the division, and that with Sevco, Hearts, Hibs & DU in it. In Houstie's final season though we really started to struggle and it was obvious that changes needed to be made.

So, in came the Hartley revolution, which, so far, has been generally successful. By that I mean that he avoided the play-offs and has had us in decent form over the piece. The wheels seem to have come off though, or, given that we're still very early into the campaign, maybe just the wheel trims! Hopefully it'll pick up but, based on my own experience and the start we've made, I don't really expect us to be flying into the Premiership anytime soon.

As I say though, I feel that your expectations are that we should immediately be able to to do A, B & C in order to win the league. Almost like you expected Hartley not to shop in the market that he did but drive down to the next town where much better players were just waiting to sign for us. I think you have a far too simplistic idea of how it all works.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be ambitious and not put the effort in to better ourselves because yes, we are a bigger club than those you mention and are as big as a Motherwell or Kilmarnock, but it's not as simple as you'd have us believe. Just ask Paul Hartley!

I too have watched the club as long as you. However I don't buy the "plucky losers" tag some of our support seem happy with.

You need only look to St.Johnstone and Hamilton to see what can be achieved with sensible football decisions and a sound plan. Both these clubs are much smaller in terms of fanbase but have consistently out performed us especially in the last decade.

Compare the way they are run to us. Since coming down we are on manager number 4 and probably onto number 5 unless results turn quickly. We have had the GC mess which nearly took us down. an unpaid management committee running the place, then an unpaid director acting as CEO who resigned because of the clusterfuck that was Doug Henderson and now we have a CEO and Chair who have made some big calls on infrastructure to get us promoted and we are as far away from than in our 8/9 years in this league as ever.

Would you run a business you cared about and owned like that? I don't think any Falkirk fan would.

The constant in all that time is a group of people who own the shares, who got us into a ground share with the council that costs us money and at their time of life have no ambition to see us progress.

Unless something happens on the ownership front we are stuck and I see no way out.

8 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

So who's fault is it then?

Manager for his recruitment policy and lack of basic  tactical nuance. The bod for appointing said manager and residing over 10 years of backing the wrong horse in the managers they appoint and the way they run the club.  Certainly not the fans who have consistantly backed the club through thick and thin . Any other club in our position would have seen a constant decline in support having spent the number of seasons we have down here and yet 4500 turn up and are treated to the shitfest that was the inverness game. How much longer they will put up with it I dont know but we must be getting close to breaking point for the majority and then we really will be in bother.

On 8/21/2018 at 17:44, Shodwall cat said:

Partick reported to have signed coulibally that was at killie. Hes a cracking player and exactly what we're needing.  Never mind we've got turner , o'hara and mackin so why would we need him. Missed out big time if that deal is completed.

Just to give a small break in the current bitch fest;

"Partick Thistle could face sanctions from FIFA over the signing of Souleymane Coulibaly. The striker was confirmed as a Thistle player earlier this week but his former club Al Ahly, who paid £1m for him, are taking him to FIFA. The Egyptians claim the former Kilmarnock striker owe them £1m after walking out last year and they want to recoup the money before the Egyptian FA release his registration"

im in a quandry got a family party on saturday but got permission to go to game and right now im not sure if i want to. sounds petty but can i be bothered missing out on a good occasion to sit through us probably getting pumped by mr dobbie and co, coiming away feeling frustrated and angry. they have my st money so the club wont lose out.

just want them to click and turn in a decent performance. its got to happen soon right? keep thinking of the marvellous performance against dundee utd last year totally unexpected and for me the best game of last season.

however i just can seem to get myself to believe it will happen and so pessimistic on our future season at mo.

as others have said rangers, hearts have had a clear out and brought in similar number of players but they seem to be playing strongly in less time.  why havent we? i can only assume its ph tactics and decisions on signings. wheres the right back we desperatley need...for the past 2 seasons. proven goal scorer and creative forward looking midfielder. had high hopes in the summer but now doom and gloom....maybe im just in a funk today.

apologies for my rant. sure ill feel better soon.

1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Just about to go into a management meeting where there will be much blood on the walls, spending the last few minutes reading this thread has darkened my mood nicely.

Bring it on!

#PrayForReggie 

14 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

So, you're saying that Hartley is incompetent as he signed Dallison, Brough, TOE, Lewis etc as they're all feckin useless and won't do an excellent job at this level? Fair enough.

In a perfect world he would have signed better players. In a perfect world he wouldn't have been our manager in the first place. In a perfect world we'd be the best team in Scotland.

It's not a perfect world Shadwell, but it's one that I sometimes get the impression you're a bit detached from!

Do t think we're looking for a perfect world, just a better one.

We're not being embarrassed by Man City. We're looking like utter dug meat next to Inverness and Partick. 

I too have watched the club as long as you. However I don't buy the "plucky losers" tag some of our support seem happy with.

You need only look to St.Johnstone and Hamilton to see what can be achieved with sensible football decisions and a sound plan. Both these clubs are much smaller in terms of fanbase but have consistently out performed us especially in the last decade.

Compare the way they are run to us. Since coming down we are on manager number 4 and probably onto number 5 unless results turn quickly. We have had the GC mess which nearly took us down. an unpaid management committee running the place, then an unpaid director acting as CEO who resigned because of the clusterfuck that was Doug Henderson and now we have a CEO and Chair who have made some big calls on infrastructure to get us promoted and we are as far away from than in our 8/9 years in this league as ever.

Would you run a business you cared about and owned like that? I don't think any Falkirk fan would.

The constant in all that time is a group of people who own the shares, who got us into a ground share with the council that costs us money and at their time of life have no ambition to see us progress.

Unless something happens on the ownership front we are stuck and I see no way out.

Spot on but nothing will happen on the ownership front as MR is looking to gain a hierarchy position at the SFA on the back of his position at Falkirk.in effect he is looking to upgrade the tea & scones at falkirk for a few trips abroad (5 star) to watch Scotland fail to deliver on a similar scale to falkirk! He can meet up with Houston there and talk about the nearly days ! Once agin I don't blame MR (he is a nice guy and a genuine supporter )but his growing problem is keeping the fans happy enough to continue to fund the deal. His decision to hand over he reigns to a bunch of well meaning but totally incapable will be his downfall. I can't see the fans swallowing it's the managers fault any more.

14 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Yes we were totally hammered by one goal in both games. Give it a break

Beaten by one goal perhaps but the performances were shocking.  If your happy though then batter on. Even in the 3 1 defeat to St Mirren in last seasons opener there was at least the positives of the first 25 mins. One shot on target in 90 mins against Inverness at home followed by a dreadful showing at Partick gives you very little reason for any optimism considering the other performances in pre season and challenge cup have been no better.

Edited by Shodwall cat

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Just from reading the Thistle thread, it appears the Coulibaly deal is destined to be a total clusterfuck. Perhaps reading that might answer for why we and seemingly many bigger, richer clubs didnt consider him.

I did say that if it goes through and I suggest we all should be hoping and praying that it doesnt.

Beaten by one goal perhaps but the performances were shocking.  If your happy though then batter on. Even in the 3 1 defeat to St Mirren in last seasons opener there was at least the positives of the first 25 mins. One shot on target in 90 mins against Inverness at home followed by a dreadful showing at Partick gives you very little reason for any optimism considering the other performances in pre season and challenge cup have been no better.
Our second half performances were decent in both games so how you can cite the first 25 against St Mirren is beyond me.

We had 2 off the bar, one sitter missed by McGhee, scored a late one and generally were on top against Partick in the second half. Its not worth anything really, but why are you ignoring it?