The Falkirk FC Thread

Life isn't like a game of FIFA Championship Manager. How many times have you seen a team playing poorly, change manager then without signing anyone playing totally different? Hartleys job is to get the best out of the team and so far he has not found the right recipe ( hopefully he can). Some of his selections have been poor and now he will know that. Time will tell if we can get all playing to their strengths

14 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

You do realise budget doesn't equate to where teams finish yes?

Livingston had a far better manager and far better players, regardless of how much money they were getting payed.

Thats the feckin point im trying to make.  Their making the most of the money they have available whilst we're underacheiving. 

And while we are at it, I work with a guy that does the occasional bit of media work for Dunfermline. He says the only guy there on big money is Higginbotham. Longridge is on less there than he was here, so the idea that we offered him less than he was worth is clearly bullshit as he settled for less elsewhere too. 

1 minute ago, Shodwall cat said:

Thats the feckin point im trying to make.  Their making the most of the money they have available whilst we're underacheiving. 

If you think Livingston are paying the players what they are reporting, you have learned nothing from the last decade of Scottish football. You have a club that claims to have a tiny budget that is apparently being funded on the side by a guy who has no money of his own. 

33 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

The basic starting point for building a squad is having players that want to be with you. Longridge, Sibbald and all the others mentioned above do not fall into that category. We have signed payers that presumably do. 

Now Hartley needs to sort them into a working formation and kick a few up the arse. That's on him, he's the manager. 

They may have wanted to be here but not on the wages hartley was offering them. If your getting offered more money elsewhere then your hardly going to hang around. Certainly in longridges case. Dont think there was a hope in hell of us keeping sibbald when we allowed him to choose his own destiny. 

31 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

If you think Livingston are paying the players what they are reporting, you have learned nothing from the last decade of Scottish football. You have a club that claims to have a tiny budget that is apparently being funded on the side by a guy who has no money of his own. 

As i said previously they may well be but they still had a lower budget than us. Why do you think many of their players have now jumped ship to lower leagues instead of playing in the top flight? Championship clubs have offered them more cash than livi could afford to pay them. Look at the side they had last season. Its full of players noone else wanted and yet was molded into a side good enough to go up.

Edited by Shodwall cat

2 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

Livingston haven't got a pot to piss in m4.  They just got a manager who was a good fit for the club and got them a double promotion, whereas clubs like Dunfermlime, ICT and Falkirk pissed about last season.

They may have wanted to be here but not on the wages hartley was offering them. If your getting offered more money elsewhere then your hardly going to hang around. Certainly in longridges case. Dont think there was a hope in hell of us keeping sibbald when we allowed him to choose his own destiny. 

Can't force him to stay, can we? He was never going to sign another contract with club triggered extension. And we were never going to pay well over the odds to keep a player that didn't want to be with us anymore. Not even sure what youd point with Sibbald is even supposed to be. 

As i said previously they mart well be but they still had a lower budget than us. Why do you think many of their players have now jumped ship to lower leagues instead of playing in the top flight? Championship clubs have offered them more cash than livi could afford to pay them.

Just now, TheScarf said:

Livingston haven't got a pot to piss in m4.  They just got a manager who was a good fit for the club and got them a double promotion, whereas clubs like Dunfermlime, ICT and Falkirk pissed about last season.

They have a lower reported budget, is the point I am trying to get over. They sure as hell aren't paying Miller and Sibbald pennies. And they sure as hell weren't paying Kenny Miller pennies. 

There's something extremely shady going on there with financing and I'm sure we will find out in the fullness of time. Yogi hinted the other day that he had heard that Miller left because of the way that Martindale, the assistant manager, was funding the club. That would be the convicted drug dealer Martindale. 

1 minute ago, DeeBairn said:

Can't force him to stay, can we? He was never going to sign another contract with club triggered extension. And we were never going to pay well over the odds to keep a player that didn't want to be with us anymore. Not even sure what youd point with Sibbald is even supposed to be. 

We had an option we couldve forced the issue. We chose not to. Thats the clubs decision.  Im sure after a few weeks in the huff hed have got back to playing football again. When you look at the replacements perhaps we shouldve take  that chance.

9 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

How do you know that we did or didn't try for said players, or even better ones? 

Is Beadling a good player or is he 'good' because we didn't sign him and Dunfermline fans say he is? 

He's a good player because he's played really well for us, including in games against Falkirk where it was remarked upon how good a player he was. 

2 hours ago, Rocco said:

I'll give you that.

Problem is Longridge was only really good when he was playing up front and I'm not sure if he would get played there. Even Dunfermline aren't playing him there

And despite not playing upfront he's been really good, a common theme is that even with the players he's got Hartley doesn't seem capable of getting the best out of them. 

He's not been mentioned on here recently but Craigan has been fantastic for us, the way he plays is a a million miles away from the shitebag that Falkirk labelled him as, has a couple of crunching tackles a game usually. 

26 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Life isn't like a game of FIFA Championship Manager. How many times have you seen a team playing poorly, change manager then without signing anyone playing totally different? Hartleys job is to get the best out of the team and so far he has not found the right recipe ( hopefully he can). Some of his selections have been poor and now he will know that. Time will tell if we can get all playing to their strengths

Combining franchises to portray just how difficult the real thing actually is. Like it.

2 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

He's a good player because he's played really well for us, including in games against Falkirk where it was remarked upon how good a player he was. 

And despite not playing upfront he's been really good, a common theme is that even with the players he's got Hartley doesn't seem capable of getting the best out of them. 

He's not been mentioned on here recently but Craigan has been fantastic for us, the way he plays is a a million miles away from the shitebag that Falkirk labelled him as, has a couple of crunching tackles a game usually. 

Don't mind Shadwell, I think they're having another breakdown. 

Craigen has been good most of the season for you guys apart from that one game he had at right back, I think. Though that was more AJ being daft than anything Craigen did. 

I think a lot of the guys we cleared out that season were fucking around because they expected to stroll the league, and when it became clear they wouldn't, they downed tools. 

12 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

They have a lower reported budget, is the point I am trying to get over. They sure as hell aren't paying Miller and Sibbald pennies. And they sure as hell weren't paying Kenny Miller pennies. 

There's something extremely shady going on there with financing and I'm sure we will find out in the fullness of time. Yogi hinted the other day that he had heard that Miller left because of the way that Martindale, the assistant manager, was funding the club. That would be the convicted drug dealer Martindale. 

The main point is that Hopkin on a tight budget produced a team of waifs and strays that won promotion.  We came 8th on a much bigger budget and lets see where we come with Hartley in charge this season on a much bigger budget.

Below is the team that beat Partick 1-0 to gain promotion. Now none of these guys are going to be on big money. So whilst Livi may not be paupers their also nowhere near the budget we have available and are underachieving on.

Neil Alexander  freed by aberdeen played his last season for livi

alan lithgow signed for hee haw from part time Aridrie

Declan gallagher only team interested after his jail term.

Shaun Byrne released by dunfermline when they were in league one

Craig Halkett released as a youngster by rangers without playing a game for them.

Scott Pitman signed from bo'ness united

jackson Longridge  signed from stranraer

keaghan jacobs signed from a s.african side after being released.

lee miller  signed from us and coaching at motherwell 

Jordan thompson on loan from rangers

Scott Robinson signed from east fife

The main point is that Hopkin on a tight budget produced a team of waifs and strays that won promotion.  We came 8th on a much bigger budget and lets see where we come with Hartley in charge this season on a much bigger budget.

Below is the team that beat Partick 1-0 to gain promotion. Now none of these guys are going to be on big money. So whilst Livi may not be paupers their also nowhere near the budget we have available and are underachieving on.

Neil Alexander  freed by aberdeen played his last season for livi

alan lithgow signed for hee haw from part time Aridrie

Declan gallagher only team interested after his jail term.

Shaun Byrne released by dunfermline when they were in league one

Craig Halkett released as a youngster by rangers without playing a game for them.

Scott Pitman signed from bo'ness united

jackson Longridge  signed from stranraer

keaghan jacobs signed from a s.african side after being released.

lee miller  signed from us and coaching at motherwell 

Jordan thompson on loan from rangers

Scott Robinson signed from east fife

As I've said, I'm not buying the small budget chat. Every one of those guys was clearly able to play at a higher level but stuck with Livi. They can say they have a small budget all they want. Doesn't wash with me. 

Too shady a club to be believed. 

33 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

And while we are at it, I work with a guy that does the occasional bit of media work for Dunfermline. He says the only guy there on big money is Higginbotham. Longridge is on less there than he was here, so the idea that we offered him less than he was worth is clearly bullshit as he settled for less elsewhere too. 

Dosnt matter whether it was less if it was still more than we were offering him surely.

5 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

As I've said, I'm not buying the small budget chat. Every one of those guys was clearly able to play at a higher level but stuck with Livi. They can say they have a small budget all they want. Doesn't wash with me. 

Too shady a club to be believed. 

Noone else wanted these guys . Look at where their coming from. Airdrie, East fife, stranraer even jail. Hopkin took a punt on them.These players were available to every side in the championship but only livi picked them up . The majority when they were in a division below and would've got much more in the way of wages if a team from the championship  had been interested.  If your not wanted or are playing part time football doesn't take much to increase your wages. Livi may be getting subsidised to a small extent but it was still one of the smaller budgets in the league last season and just shows you the remarkable job a decent manager like Hopkin can do. 

Edited by Shodwall cat

We haven't had a good start to our campaign and some of the players don't look up to the job but lets not down tools already folks.

A lot of them are young and it's probably their first time away from home. Lets give them a wee bit more of a chance to get their acts together.

A win tomorrow and a half decent display could make all the difference. Hopefully the break has given Hartley the time to realise the mistakes he has made and sort things out.

If we get pumped then in a Piracy stylie you can all say

f**k off Harry [emoji16]

11 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Dosnt matter whether it was less if it was still more than we were offering him surely.

We offered him slightly less than he was on and he wasn't well paid to start with. That's not much of a margin to be slicing.