The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

I’d sooner have them at my club than the guy who thought our club would be a good home for his rapist pal.

McGlynn paid money for another Clyde striker this January window and didn't play him. 

He's given Clyde some amount of money. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
Just now, Back Post Misses said:

McManus papered over a heep of cracks that M&M season. Put him in this team and we would have won a good few more IMO

Wasn’t with us in 2020/21 though. 

15 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Thanks for being honest. That’s 4 out of 9 opponents that are stronger in 20/21. Of the rest, I think we can both agree Dunfermline are stronger than Partick so would you say the Cove team of 20/21 were stronger than this seasons Alloa? 

Cove had had a shed load of money thrown at them that's the thing with the teams coming up from the lowland leagues their owners are throwing money at them to get them into the SPFL you only need to look at how many former SPFL clubs have went down and not came back up Berwick, Cowdenbeath, Shire and Brechin.

Guest Caractacus Potts
9 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Cove had had a shed load of money thrown at them that's the thing with the teams coming up from the lowland leagues their owners are throwing money at them to get them into the SPFL you only need to look at how many former SPFL clubs have went down and not came back up Berwick, Cowdenbeath, Shire and Brechin.

Yeh I don’t disagree with that and that’s what made them a strong team. So if we agree at least 5 out of our 9 opponents in 20/21 are stronger than this season then is it true to say this seasons league is much tougher? 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

1 minute ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Yeh I don’t disagree with that and that’s what made them a strong team. So if we agree at least 5 out of our 9 opponents in 20/21 are stronger than this season then would is it still true to say this seasons league is much tougher? 

I think they all are look at the Championship who would have though Accies would be one of the next teams to end up in League one, you have Queens park who are floating a bit of cash and a Dundee at the top Caley seem to have always been in the top half chomping at promotion. A lot of those teams that we are facing just now had that windfall of 500k from covid and that's the thing there's a lot of variables in amongst it. Also got to take into account the standard of refereeing as well which hasn't exactly helped us see Morrisons goal against Kelty that was disallowed as well as other poor decisions that cost us points.

16 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Wasn’t with us in 2020/21 though. 

He was with us for the season before and even then M&M messed it up despite all his goals 

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 minute ago, AL-FFC said:

I think they all are look at the Championship who would have though Accies would be one of the next teams to end up in League one, you have Queens park who are floating a bit of cash and a Dundee at the top Caley seem to have always been in the top half chomping at promotion. A lot of those teams that we are facing just now had that windfall of 500k from covid and that's the thing there's a lot of variables in amongst it. Also got to take into account the standard of refereeing as well which hasn't exactly helped us see Morrisons goal against Kelty that was disallowed as well as other poor decisions that cost us points.

Sorry specifically talking about whether our opponents this season are overall much tougher than in 20/21?  

10 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Yeh I don’t disagree with that and that’s what made them a strong team. So if we agree at least 5 out of our 9 opponents in 20/21 are stronger than this season then is it true to say this seasons league is much tougher? 

The other point worth taking into account for me is that Miller and McCracken had no managerial experience and very little coaching experience (and therefore should never have been in the job in the first place). Mcglynn on the other hand has decades of experience, which you would expect to be an advantage.

There was also an injury crisis just before they were sacked which didn’t help. All things being equal, the performance. has been very similar Imo. Thankfully we still have the playoffs to come.

1 minute ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Sorry specifically talking about whether our opponents this season are overall much tougher than in 20/21?  

I would say out the current league Montrose, Airdrie, Kelty and Alloa  as well as Dunfermline are the main ones that have made us work for it this season looking at that year

East Fife, Montrose, Airdrie,  Cove and Partick so I would say pretty even although peterhead and Clyde as you say were better than what they were this season

I wouldn't say there was much between the 2 leagues this season and back then

Guest Caractacus Potts
18 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

He was with us for the season before and even then M&M messed it up despite all his goals 

Discussing 20/21. The 18 games M&M had where their record was better than McGlynns first 18.

As for 19/20 then I agree the frailties in their management ability did start to show. Still, they massively improved results and their record in those 15 games was better than when we had strikers such as Taylor, Farid or Duffy. Had they been in place from the start and managed the same average then we would have coasted that league. 

With that said I still didn’t want their contract extended because I didn’t have faith in them for the following season. Much like where I am at with McGlynn at the moment. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 minute ago, AL-FFC said:

I would say out the current league Montrose, Airdrie, Kelty and Alloa  as well as Dunfermline are the main ones that have made us work for it this season looking at that year

East Fife, Montrose, Airdrie,  Cove and Partick so I would say pretty even although peterhead and Clyde as you say were better than what they were this season

I wouldn't say there was much between the 2 leagues this season and back then

Thanks Al. I completely agree. 

7 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

The other point worth taking into account for me is that Miller and McCracken had no managerial experience and very little coaching experience (and therefore should never have been in the job in the first place). Mcglynn on the other hand has decades of experience, which you would expect to be an advantage.

There was also an injury crisis just before they were sacked which didn’t help. All things being equal, the performance. has been very similar Imo. Thankfully we still have the playoffs to come.

Miller and McCracken were put in there to give an unpopular board breathing space they also had or the club were in a better financial position than we are just now which wasn't in McGlynns favour and bare in mind he had a black hole to plug with the cup run. yes McGlynn has experience but you need to remember we have spent the last 3 seasons in this league with less of a financial advantage than the team that's just been relegated so that's a plus for Dunfermline

to me Miller was part of the problem that caused the downward spiral to where we are so no sympathy there from me. I

3 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Miller and McCracken were put in there to give an unpopular board breathing space they also had or the club were in a better financial position than we are just now which wasn't in McGlynns favour and bare in mind he had a black hole to plug with the cup run. yes McGlynn has experience but you need to remember we have spent the last 3 seasons in this league with less of a financial advantage than the team that's just been relegated so that's a plus for Dunfermline

to me Miller was part of the problem that caused the downward spiral to where we are so no sympathy there from me. I

I'd imagine you've the biggest playing budget in the league so that doesn't wash I'm afraid.

5 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

I'd imagine you've the biggest playing budget in the league so that doesn't wash I'm afraid.

This year ?, no chance with the shit they have uncovered and trying to sort out I would say prudent wheeling and dealing but for the first time in about 3 seasons we haven't had to pay off a playing squad that wasn't fit for purpose.

I would say maybe second possibly 3rd with the squad that Kelty has though as no way Tidser, Austin, Cardle, Low and Hggy are on peanuts

Edited by AL-FFC

What I’d give for a guy like this, played for a pittance, an absolute genuine leader on and off park, and one of few guys that would walk through a brick wall for the club and support. There’s not one player in the past two or so so seasons that come remotely close to him. 

IMG_2977.jpeg.5fe40b69656b0788bba454449421976f.jpeg

Any suggestions that McGlynn hasn’t spent a fortune compared to mcpake are incredible nonsense . We had a couple of hangover deals From last year but in terms of what they  had to be spent McGlynn had way more available than mcpake l.

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Any suggestions that McGlynn hasn’t spent a fortune compared to mcpake are incredible nonsense . We had a couple of hangover deals From last year but in terms of what they  had to be spent McGlynn had way more available than mcpake l.

Source?

6 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Thanks Al. I completely agree. 

It's almost like all the teams mentioned who've been in L1 over that period have regressed and yet you can't see that we have as well, making McGlynns job harder 🤷‍♂️

As highlighted in the replies there are literally too many intangibles as to why statistically their records are comparable but the seasons and outcomes have been vastly different. 

Perhaps a factor was that then we were seen as a massive scalp and teams setup differently whereas now that notion has gone the games in the league become closer. Who knows!

However, it's become an odd hill to die on.

Forget what's gone on in this or previous seasons it's pointless.

What matters is the 2 hopefully 4 playoff games and that means backing the players and the manager through them, and leave the recriminations or the backslapping till it's all over.

It will define whether the players have the mettle, bottle, desire, skill, will to win to get us promotion and whether they have a future at the club or not.

Get promoted? then some of the squad have a future.

Don't get promoted? then clear the decks because they will have shown they don't have it.

If that does not motivate the players nothing will.