The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Put our best players from past seasons in teams and managers have a better chance of winning. Very insightful!

As it was, M&M actually got more out of McManus than anyone previous. If it wasn’t for his change in form under those 2 then you wouldn’t even be mentioning him.

Prior to M&M, he scored 5 in 13 with 3 of those coming against Dumbarton. Under M&M he scored 12 in 13. You even noted the improvement of McManus and a couple of others when M&M took over.

Just seems odd using McManus as a stick to hit M&M considering they got the best out of him and the one game he did miss was the one loss they suffered to Clyde.

They had plenty of failings but getting the best out of McManus wasn’t one of them. 

💤💤

I really wish I had the time and inclination to search someone’s post from 4 years ago to try and prove a point. 
No need to reply because we will be in danger of boring the tits off everyone again on a subject that has been done to death mainly by you for weeks. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
17 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

💤💤

I really wish I had the time and inclination to search someone’s post from 4 years ago to try and prove a point. 
No need to reply because we will be in danger of boring the tits off everyone again on a subject that has been done to death mainly by you for weeks. 

It’s really not hard but if you can’t be bothered to look at stats to back up your point then maybe don’t respond and we won’t have to bore anyone. 

4 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

McCann, Morrison and Donaldson ain’t  up to top Championship standard either. 

My hypothetical squad has 10 new signings and is 22 men strong, realistically you're not really going to get much more than that so they're going to have to play. 

Edited by FFC 1876

34 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

It’s really not hard but if you can’t be bothered to look at stats to back up your point then maybe don’t respond and we won’t have to bore anyone. 

Just a suggestion but if you want to stop boring people just stop posting.

Guest Caractacus Potts
5 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Just a suggestion but if you want to stop boring people just stop posting.

Seems a bit unfair to suggest. Are we only allowed to post if we agree with you and your friends, such as BPM?

Edited by Caractacus Potts

Guest Caractacus Potts
6 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

7k7z4l.jpg

Sorry not ITK so stats are the only thing to back it up. Think I’ve been reasonable in what I’ve put forward but jump on the pile on if it pleases you. 

13 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Of the teams that are in still in the league from 20/21, would it be fair to say that Airdrie, Montrose, Peterhead and Clyde were stronger then than this season? 

Or in the same vein, can we not suggest that the case is we are actually better? Why do they have to be worse for us to have improved? Surely a point can be made for both cases. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
14 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Or in the same vein, can we not suggest that the case is we are actually better? Why do they have to be worse for us to have improved? Surely a point can be made for both cases. 

Overall they had better results and some players of a higher calibre than they do now. The only reason to bring it up was the notion that the league was a lot stronger then. That doesn’t mean to say our own team isn’t stronger than 20/21 but the suggestion was the league is much stronger and therefore our opponents are harder to beat. I disagree.

I’m only going by stats and looking at some influential players that are no longer with them or are now past it though. Maybe Airdrie, Clyde, Peterhead and Montrose fans can state whether they believe their teams to be better or worse this season than 20/21. 

Regardless of the comparison, I do think we have a better squad now but unfortunately we keep churning out poor results against teams we really should be beating whether they have Goodwillie etc or not. 

19 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

... I’m only going by stats ...

If only football was played on paper you might be onto something.

If all things were equal I'd probably agree but you can't take those stats in isolation without factoring in ~ 3-years of context.

Guest Caractacus Potts
31 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

If only football was played on paper you might be onto something.

If all things were equal I'd probably agree but you can't take those stats in isolation without factoring in ~ 3-years of context.

Unfortunately football is won on paper with points won, goals scored, goals lost etc all in effect. If we can’t use stats then everything is entirely subjective and just a case of who shouts loudest. 

I've had to remove a few posts with vitriolic personal abuse. Calling each other childish names is a sure sign you're losing the argument, not to mention off-putting to all the other posters who just want to read and contribute to the debates. 

The McGlynn sacking chat is nonsense. It's off the back of losing a Scottish Cup Semi-Final, not dropping out of the playoffs or something akin to previous seasons. We're going into the playoffs, and I'd say we're favourites.

I think the games against Championship sides showed us how far out of our depth we would be with this current squad. 3-0 x2 to Dundee, 3-0 to ICT and the only win was extremely lucky. Aggregate of 10-2 simply not good enough and we'd be straight back down again.  

McGlynn in my opinion is the man to take us forward and any talk of sacking him, especially right before the playoffs is ludacris.

48 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

McGlynn in my opinion is the man to take us forward and any talk of sacking him, especially right before the playoffs is ludacris.

Ludicrous or not, it’s just a football forum opinion. I can’t buy into McGlynn being the man to take us forward, and that’s based on what I have seen this season in terms tactics, lack of flexibility and results as well as his career up to now.

The man has only ever won one league title, and that was 14 years ago in the old L2. He has made the L1 & L2 play offs a good few times, but has never prevailed. He has won two or three Consolation Cups, and his Raith side finished 5th last season………that’s about it. Of course, Raith were awarded promotion in the cancelled Covid season, but it was just that…..an incomplete season.

Do I want to see him sacked before the play offs? No I don’t.

Do I think he deserves another season if we win the play offs? Absolutely.

Do I think he deserves another season if we crash and burn in the play offs? Not so sure. I am sure he will get the gig, but I think confidence in him would be very low.

For all his experience, the two alternate targets he is faced with are two things that he has never achieved……..win L1 next season, or win the Championship play offs this season.

I think people are expecting a manager to come in and instantly have a perfect season, it takes time to bed in. 2nd place first season is not awful, obviously not what we wanted but its passable. We need to give managers time instead of just sacking them off. Give McGlynn time and I believe he'll prosper, when he got Raith promoted he quickly established them in the championship, and as we are a club of a bigger size I believe he can go further. Not unwarranted optimism imo

3 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

I think people are expecting a manager to come in and instantly have a perfect season, it takes time to bed in. 2nd place first season is not awful, obviously not what we wanted but its passable. We need to give managers time instead of just sacking them off. Give McGlynn time and I believe he'll prosper, when he got Raith promoted he quickly established them in the championship, and as we are a club of a bigger size I believe he can go further. Not unwarranted optimism imo

True enough, McPake had the temerity to lose a league game this season. 

In all seriousness, I think the worry for Falkirk fans would be that the second half of the season followed a familiar pattern to his Raith teams. They would often start the season well, go into a slump in the winter time (either because other teams figured him out, the pitches weren't as good, or due to injuries piling up) then there would be a wee improvement (usually when playing a different formation for a game or two) before the season kinda fizzled out. Now you may have enough quality in the squad to go through the play offs this time, but even if you go up I can see folk calling for his head come November/December next year.

3 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Seems a bit unfair to suggest. Are we only allowed to post if we agree with you and your friends, such as BPM?

Absolutely not what I am suggesting, just stop being repetitive and boring.

9 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Ludicrous or not, it’s just a football forum opinion. I can’t buy into McGlynn being the man to take us forward, and that’s based on what I have seen this season in terms tactics, lack of flexibility and results as well as his career up to now.

The man has only ever won one league title, and that was 14 years ago in the old L2. He has made the L1 & L2 play offs a good few times, but has never prevailed. He has won two or three Consolation Cups, and his Raith side finished 5th last season………that’s about it. Of course, Raith were awarded promotion in the cancelled Covid season, but it was just that…..an incomplete season.

Do I want to see him sacked before the play offs? No I don’t.

Do I think he deserves another season if we win the play offs? Absolutely.

Do I think he deserves another season if we crash and burn in the play offs? Not so sure. I am sure he will get the gig, but I think confidence in him would be very low.

For all his experience, the two alternate targets he is faced with are two things that he has never achieved……..win L1 next season, or win the Championship play offs this season.

As said it’s all about opinions, for me failure to get up this year after the budget he’s been given, would almost guarantee in any other walk of life a thanks and goodbye. 

Sorry but we seem to accept failure so easy nowadays. Sick to my teeth of four years of abhorrent shite, walking out of grounds early after watching eleven players go throw the motions and stealing wages.

Saturday epitomised what we’ve had to endure, a set of eleven powderpuff players giving a powderpuff performance.  Not a set of balls to be seen (McGinn aside)
The cup finances will skew opinions and ensure he gets another year. 

For me, any talk of getting rid of McGlynn is a bit nonsense. He's steadied the ship after the utter shambles of the last 2/3 years. He has had to clear out a load of leftover dross (cheers G. Holt) and there is still some lingering about.

Next year will be the first proper side in his image. Even if we stay down...what's the alternative? Bin him and bring in yet another inexperienced coach/ex-player/has been/never was? Anyone willing to say he should be sacked should back it up with at least one genuine candidate to replace him.